Brightest Day: The Labors of the Twelve

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well but I think the fact that 52 came out weekly helped to keep you from really noticing when they had characters gone for a few issues. Here, where it's twice a month you get a much bigger gap between when you see certain characters and the like.

But it's still a hell of a lot better than Countdown.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:For the most part, different books are focusing on different people.

But Brightest Day itself has been pretty entertaining. I just hate though, how we focus on 1 or 2 characters for about 2 issues, then we abruptly switch to another 2 for 2 issues. They're all good stories, but it's like right as you get into one of them, it's gone for an issue or two. That's really my only complaint.
So, and maybe this is too early to ask, but who would you say the main features are? I understand it's a rotating story & ensemble cast but is there one clear overarching primary focus or theme?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'd say, for the most part, Deadman is the focal point of the series in the first 10 issues. He has the only White Ring, Lifted the White Lantern, and has appeared in about 75% of the issues. So far I'd say he's the main character, but Aquaman is very close behind him.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

That's very cool.

I like Deadman and he is so rarely the main feature (even in mega events) that seeing him front center for a maxi series is a welcome surprise. Same with Aquaman. I've always AM, like MM, was a vastly underrated & underused character. Now, is Aquman in Brightest Day, Arthur Curry or is it someone else? I know there has been a new Aqua-character as of late; I can't recall if it was Aquaman or Aqua-lad.

Also, weird sidebar. every time I scroll down the main BX page and I see the title of this thread, the title is cut off so it reads "Brightest Day: The Labors of..." and when I see that, my mind completes/reads the title as "Brightest Day: The Labors Love". Why I read it like that? I have no idea.

:lips:

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I agree on Deadman. His last series under the DC banner that was canceled 9 issues in was one of the first DC Books I started reading so I've been a fan of his for a few years and I'm glad to see him back.

Aquaman is indeed Arthur Curry, the original Aquaman, and he has both hands normal and working and made of flesh rather than water or anything else.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Last week's Justice League: Generation Lost 13 had Max achieve his labor when he pitted Magog against Captain Atom. After being beefed up and brainwashed, Magog went after Cap'n Atom and literally went all out. In the end, Cap'n Atom absorbed all the extra energy that was irradiating everyone around, all the while having Magog slowly get beat by the radiation (he began losing teeth and such). Suddenly Max walks up, talks quickly, and ended up having Magog explode. Or not. Magog is dead, that's for sure. But I'm confused as to whether Max brainwashed Magog to explode or brainwashed Cap'n Atom to blow off Magog's head as cell phone video on the scene showed the latter, so I'm leaning towards Cap'n Atom being brainwashed and not knowing it, plus how could Max brainwash Magog to completely explode? Either way, the White Lantern voice popped up and said his mission was accomplished and life returned to him. He left the scene just as Magog's trident explodes and turns part of NYC (or whatever city they're in) into a crater with everyone blaming Cap'n Atom for the death of Magog and everyone else.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Hawkman and Hawkgirl completed their missions in Brightest Day #18 by using the Sword Carol Ferris was wielding as Queen of the Star Sapphire's and the Zamaron Crystal in the Glove of Osiris to purge the Predator from Hawkgirl's mother, who started their curse to begin with a few milenia ago.

And since they killed Hath-Set before he could kill Hawkman, the curse is broken entirely. They can live their lives as they want, but they also won't be coming back it seems if they die.

Here's where things get Spoilery. Be warned.

They go to enjoy their lives, and Deadman appears, all White Lantern-ed out, with the White Ring telling them they must stay apart for the new Bearer to succeed. They refuse, and in the process, the ring pretty much starts pulling them apart from each other.. and then seems to disintegrate them. The issue ends with Deadman standing in front of a pile of white ashes. The preview image released earlier this year. So... it seems they may be dead but I doubt it'll stay past the end of the series.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Looking at the list, it doesn't make sense that Aquaman hasn't been "freed" since he has already found Jackson Hyde. I wonder if maybe he has to get Jackson to freedom in order for him to be "freed"?

And I really hope they didn't kill the Hawks, that would piss a lot of fans off. Which "preview image" are you talking about, cause the only one I remember was from last year and it was based on The Rock (or whatever that painting is called).

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/01/12/dcuin-2011-the-end-grows-near/

I guess this was just a week ago. Couldn't remember when it hit on the Source Blog.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Newest issue of Titans saw Osiris bring back Isis by stealing Captain Marvel's powers. He grabbed Freddie and said "Isis" and POOF, no more powers for Freddie.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

This week's Brightest Day saw the achievement of Aquaman. And right after he had his life returned, Deadman as Liveman disintegrated him just like with The Hawks. Except this time he wasn't given a choice, just POOF and disintegrated.

Pretty sure next issue deals with Martian Manhunter, so we'll likely see his life returned...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Update with Spoilers:

So in this week's BRIGHTEST DAY 21, J'onn completes his mission, though it wasn't necessarily the forest in Star City.

He's been battling D'kay for most of the series, another Green Martian who came through the initial teleportation that brought J'onn to Earth, and has been killing and skinning people ever since apparently. Well she'd tried to trick him into having the perfect life on Mars, but he resisted, and while they battled there, he finally grabs her, admitting she's right about his wishes to have Mars back but that he cannot do anything about it now, and he flies her off Mars, past Earth, and towards the Sun.

In a classic Superman move, J'onn flies her straight into the Sun, killing her, and seemingly him in the process. But instead, we get a very nice 2 page spread of J'onn bursting out from the Sun as a White Lantern, having his life returned for destroying the corruption she had set about. He's then forced to choose his home, either Mars or Earth, as he cannot have both. He chooses Earth, and immediately finds Star City burning, as huge natural disasters are occurring all over the Earth.

He no sooner than lands and Deadman shows up, warning J'onn to leave and hide, and J'onn knows what will happen as he read Deadman's mind. He accepts what his fate is to be, and he starts melting or sinking into the earth, with no complaint, as the ring says "J'onn J'onzz of Mars, The Earth Has Accepted You".

So it seems like he died again like Aquaman and the Hawks, but I also wondered if he wasn't possibly chosen as a successor since he sunk into the Earth.

Now we're just down to Hawk, Boomerang, Firestorm, and Deadman it seems.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

How the fug did you get your issues already? Got confused but luckily stopped reading before I got too spoiled...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well, I can only say that going in and working in a shop on Tuesday has its advantages. I may not be able to buy them, but I can't be stopped from reading them as we wait to put stuff out. :D

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Lucky you. Now howsabout next time you put more spoiler space, lol. Even being spoiled a little bit still sucks ;)