Secret Origin: The History of DC Comics

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Secret Origin: The History of DC Comics

Post by Tragic Angelus »

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/2010/08/secret-origin-story-of-dc-comics-coming.html#more

Short preview included in the link.

Don't know why I've only just read about this. It looks like DC will be putting out a documentary in November, chronicalling the history of DC Comics.

Looks good, and reminds me as a sort of updated version of the History Channel's History of Superheroes (which thankfully they've been reairing a lot lately), and of course this time it'll be all DC focused.

On the downside, it's narrated by Ryan Reynolds. I love the guy.. but I kind of wish they'd have gotten someone a bit more prominent to the company and history of the books, or someone already related to the DC film/animation industry (Linda Carter, Kevin Conroy, etc). But of course it's to further promote the upcoming GL film.

I want to watch it, but man $25 for a documentary seems a bit high without knowing what all will be on it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Rent the sucker first, then see if it's worht your green.

I'm definitely going to rent it and see what it's about. I generally like documentaries and one on DC's comic history is definitely appealing. I still haven't caught the History of Superheroes the History channel has been airing. I need to know around what time they are showing that so I can catch it.

However, the docu would have to be really really spectacular for me to buy it. I like watching Docus but I've never purchased one and I don't see it happening anytime soon

I'm pretty neutral about Reynolds narrating it; like you said it's all to help promote the GL film (which, after seeing the costume, the non-trailer at SDCC and the Thor trailer) needs all the help it can get.

However, I having Kevin Conroy or Tim Daly narrate it would've been pretty great. It would have been really hilarious if they had gotten Morgan Freeman to narrate it. That guy narrates just about EVERYTHING. Or Betty White! Ride the fame train Betty!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

The History channel one is great, at least I think so! Although, it's about.. 6-8 years old now I think, as one of the last things it mentions is how 9-11 had an effect on comics, and just slight mentioning of the dawn of the digital age, and what comics are doing to try to compete with the Internet and video games, with the possibilities of digital comics, where most creators/insiders are kind of 'eeehh.. maybe down the road, but paper will be around a long time'

It usually airs 2 times a day when it's on, once early around the 7/8 am time frame and then about 4 hours later on in the day, sometime in the early afternoon. So generally, when you're at work. I've only caught it recently since it's summer and I've wrapped up classes. At one time it was on DVD, but now I can't find it. Still a fun watch though.