Final Crisis: Ultimate Failure

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Mr Wallstreet

Final Crisis: Ultimate Failure

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

For me this was hands down the worst mini of all the "Crisis" stories DC has done.

I had no clue what was going on from the get-go. Every subsequent issue in the series confused me further as I had not read the tie-ins to know exactly what was going on. DC and Marvel are both pretty guilty of this but DC more than Marvel as of late. DC put out numerous tie-ins and specials and that weekly "countdown to final crisis" story which you had to have read to understand the full scope of what was going on. And more often than not the tie-ins are mediocre at best and irrelevant at worst.

Identity Crisis was, by far, the best best it was a self contained LS. You didn't need to read all of the tie-ins and the story was emotionally charged and action packed (despite a few glaring plot holes and a bit of uneven in the pacing).

Infinite Crisis came in second and though it didn't have as many plot holes, it blew chunks because you had to have read 4 other 6-issue LS to understand what was going on. IC, however, redeemed itself in the end if (if you understood everything that was going) by delivering an awesome penultimate ending.

Final Crisis? Forget it. Couldn't understand a single thing that went on there.

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

I picked up the first Trade of Countdown to Infinite Crisis then ran like hell. Image I can't even begin to imagine picking up Final Crisis. But is it really the final, last ever, crisis? Probably not, eh?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Agreed, FC was rubbish.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I still can't figure out how/when darkseed got to earth and introduced that formula?

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The best part of it was the Rage of the Red Lanterns. it had nothing to do with Final Crisis but introduced the beginning of the blackest night story which I am really looking forward to. It also introduced RAGE CAT!!! I think Bisky would like him he burns stuff.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

FC Had it's major plot holes and inconsistancies. The One Shots and minis were far better than the series itself. Requim was amazing, Rogue's Revenge was fun, and Legion could be good if it came out on time.

I agree that Identity Crisis was absolutely the best, but don't know what plot holes you're referring to. I absolutely loved that book, and have read it probably more than other stories.

I'm gonna have to re-read FC from beginning to end just to try to comprehend it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:FC Had it's major plot holes and inconsistancies. The One Shots and minis were far better than the series itself. Requim was amazing, Rogue's Revenge was fun, and Legion could be good if it came out on time.
The two tie-ins I read were Requiem (for MM) and Faces of Evil: Prometheus (Thank you Meek) and they were vastly more enjoyable than any single issue of FC.
I agree that Identity Crisis was absolutely the best, but don't know what plot holes you're referring to. I absolutely loved that book, and have read it probably more than other stories.

I'm gonna have to re-read FC from beginning to end just to try to comprehend it.
I'll point out the plot holes for IC again when I have the energy.

But I'm not so sure I'd have the energy and more importantly desire to re-read FC.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sandman wrote: It also introduced RAGE CAT!!! I think Bisky would like him he burns stuff.

Is he related to:

G'Nort?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I didn't get the Prometheus FoE, but I did grab the Deathstroke one as it'll lead into the Titans crossover and comes out of Last Will and Testament.

Revelations was also a good one, but you'd need to have enjoyed the transformation of Renee Montoya over the last few years to really get the whole effect of that story.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I didn't follow all of Rene Montoya's activities over the past few years but her evolution into The Question in the pages of 52 was one of the best "passages" I've ever seen.

The ending was so tragic; Charles Victor Szaz died in her arms mere inches from Nanda-whatever-that-place-is-called. It tugged on all the right heartstrings.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

If you read 52, then you read the majority of her story. Crime Bible: 5 Lessons of Blood is probably the next one you'd want to read, and then Revelations.. meek? would know if I was missing anything, but those are the main ones I know of.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Who actually read 52?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I did... twice actually.

After I went home one weekend, I brought back all of 52, the issues of FC and the tie ins that had come out before I moved, along with the current Titans and JLoA issues that I left back home.. having no cable here, and at times little to do last semester, I got to re-read the entire 52 run in about 4 or 5 days, which made the whole thing a lot more coherent, interesting, and fun to read as I was able to pick up on a lot more plot points, sub plots, and hints at future storylines. Much more fun to re-read the story as a whole in a short amount of time than over a year span.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I couldn't stand reading ti week to week over a year, but I have it. Maybe I try re reading it?

What about the other 52 issue ones? Countdown and was there another?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I refuse to even THINK about re-reading Countdown because it was so horrible from week to week. 52 was good over the whole year for most of the entire run, and ended good as well.

Countdown was failing from the start and never got better.

Trinity is the current weekly, and I got the first.. 11? issues since I could get them for free, and it wasn't bad but I wasn't that into it so I didn't bother to continue on with it. I enjoyed the beginning because it featured most of the JLA for a few issues, where they're own book had almost nothing going on with them lol

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

What's trinity about>

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

basically, from what I could gather, it's based around the DCU Trinity, Superman Batman and Wonder Woman, and the role they play in the world.. and what happens when they're replaced (I think) or removed from their position.. I'm not entirely sure since I stopped reading it early on.. but I remember they're replaced by about 3 villains, Morgan Le Fey, Despero, and some techno type villain. but like I said, I'm not reading it or up on it so I don't know what's really going on in it anymore.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That sounds awful.

Bagley needs another job.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Agreed. he does quick and decent artwork that I enjoy, and I'd love to see him on a higher profile book at DC.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Countdown was utter shite, and I lost interest in Trinity 3 times. Yes, I've tried to read Trinity 3 different times and keep stopping, lol. 52 was one of the best Maxi-Series in the last decade, IMO. It had so many squee moments as well as the great use of B-characters that before you could care less about but know you love them to death...