Marvel Comics for July 2010

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

XIII

Marvel Comics for July 2010

Post by XIII »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=25851

ITEM! Still too much Deadpool

ITEM! Joe Quesada revisits One More Day with "One Moment in Time"

ITEM! Avengers line relaunch continues with the return of Young Avengers in a 9-issue mini by original creators Heinberg and Cheung. The book is going to be bi-monthly which means it'll take 18 years to conclude.

ITEM! Steve Rogers gets his own mini as Super Soldier. Brubaker still on writing duty.

ITEM! Shadowland is the next Marvel "event" and it starts this month. It's all resolving on Daredevil so I'll be on it.

ITEM! The new creative team for Thor (Fraction and Ferry) has already disappeared. Gillen back on the book. Is there a mystery in there?

ITEM! The third X-Men titles starts. X-Men vs Twilight. How original!

ITEM! Whilce Portacio is back drawing Uncanny. Still ugly and probably late!

ITEM! Famous artist Milo Manara tackles the X-Women with Claremont. Not a Max title so no nudity. What's the point?

ITEM! 2 new launches for the Icon Imprint: Casanova is being reprinted and colored and then Fraction and Ba will start a new story. And Bendis and Maleev are back for a creator-owned called Scarlet. She's got naughts&crosses on her tits!

ITEM! Collection-wise, 2 big Omnibus I want but probably too expensive : Squadron Supreme and the Complete Thor by JMS.

My list:

ASTONISHING SPIDER-MAN/WOLVERINE #2
SHADOWLAND #1 (of 5)
DAREDEVIL #508
FANTASTIC FOUR #581
SECRET WARRIORS #18
WOLVERINE WEAPON X #15
PUNISHERMAX #9
CASANOVA #1

What about you?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

X-MEN #1
UNCANNY X-MEN #526
X-MEN: SECOND COMING #2
X-MEN LEGACY #238

UNCANNY X-MEN: THE HEROIC AGE #1

Uncanny and Legacy are the main books I'll get, and since the main Astonishing ongoing is done I'll pick up the X-Men book. Though I'm pretty upset they're launching a new ongoing when Legacy could just as easily go back to being a team book. Launch a new ongoing then that spotlights characters and does so many stories with them, like X-Men Unlimited used to. I don't want those stories to stop necessarily, but I just feel like the second core book should be a team spotlight rather than solo character with occasional guest stars.

Might pick up the Heroic Age one shot to see what it ties in, but it'll depend on the week it comes out and other books I'm getting and what it looks like inside.

This Looks Good:
X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX SAGA HC
But I have the softcover, though it doesn't have the other goodies. Plus a hardcover of my all-time favorite story wouldn't hurt. I have few Marvel Hardcovers as is, and this is the one I'd like to have.

Also of note, I love how Marvel is continuing to capitalize on having had Johns write the Avengers by putting out the last of his runs in a collection, all of which are now delux editions with his name in biiiiiiig letters on the books. Way to literally capitalize on the competitions continued success with the writer Marvel, rather than promoting it when he was actually on the book.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

THE STAND: HARDCASES #2 (of 5)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #637, 638, 639
UNCANNY X-MEN: THE HEROIC AGE #1
X-MEN #1
UNCANNY X-MEN #526
X-MEN: SECOND COMING #2
X-MEN LEGACY #238
X-FACTOR #207
X-MEN: HELLBOUND #3 (of 3)
X-FORCE: SEX AND VIOLENCE #1 (of 3)

I was contemplating picking up the new Avengers stuff...but realized it's probably gonna still be bad and I don't want to continually pay $4 for something bad. So if I quit before I'm started then it's all good. I'll download it, obviously.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Tragic Angelus wrote: Also of note, I love how Marvel is continuing to capitalize on having had Johns write the Avengers by putting out the last of his runs in a collection, all of which are now delux editions with his name in biiiiiiig letters on the books. Way to literally capitalize on the competitions continued success with the writer Marvel, rather than promoting it when he was actually on the book.

Were you even aware of Geoff Johns back when he was writing Avengers?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Casanova? Count me in.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

XIII wrote:Were you even aware of Geoff Johns back when he was writing Avengers?
Yeah actually. I started reading the book right before he took over, and really liked what he did in his first arc by expanding the team. I knew he was the guy who had made the Flash a big deal, but hadn't been reading it. After reading his Avengers I followed him over to DC when he was relaunching Teen Titans and started following more of what he was doing.

Actually too, that was around the time I started paying a lot more attention to the whos that were working on books, rather than just characters, and started picking up books based on art and writing rather than just liking characters and teams.

So I suppose you could say that was my first real exposure to Johns outside of thumbing issues of Flash without really reading them, just before my DC Conversion.

XIII

Post by XIII »

It's a colored reprint of the Image issues. Still want that? Cause that's what I've been asking myself. I have the Image TP.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Yeah actually. I started reading the book right before he took over, and really liked what he did in his first arc by expanding the team. I knew he was the guy who had made the Flash a big deal, but hadn't been reading it. After reading his Avengers I followed him over to DC when he was relaunching Teen Titans and started following more of what he was doing.

Actually too, that was around the time I started paying a lot more attention to the whos that were working on books, rather than just characters, and started picking up books based on art and writing rather than just liking characters and teams.

So I suppose you could say that was my first real exposure to Johns outside of thumbing issues of Flash without really reading them, just before my DC Conversion.
So what you are saying is that thanks to Marvel you discover Johns and then left Marvel to follow him to DC.
Yeah, what a bunch of greedy fucks, those Marvel guys, trying to make a few bucks with those reprints.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Haha yea I suppose Marvel exposed me to him so I owe them that.

What I don't get is why it took them about 4 or 5 years to promote that he did work for them, rather than promoting it when he was on the book and right after. His run got overshadowed by the whole Disassembled thing that happened about 6 months after he left the book, and Marvel hasn't really done much with his run until this past year. That's my only issue. I'm thrilled those books are finally collected, just not thrilled that it took them this long to do it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well, they wanted until his star was at the highest.

MGM

Post by MGM »

XIII wrote:It's a colored reprint of the Image issues. Still want that? Cause that's what I've been asking myself. I have the Image TP.
I don't have the Image TPB.

XIII

Post by XIII »

And you don't own the issues either?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Nope. That's why I'm in for the reprint.