What's up with all the Deadpool titles?

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Mr Wallstreet

What's up with all the Deadpool titles?

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I vaguely remember someone posing this question but I can't remember where so I'll ask it here: Why is Deadpool all over the place?

I remember a while ago he was making appearences in pretty much every major marvel title and then he steadily had an increasing # of titles which I found a bit odd, but while I was looking at the June solits for Marvel, I counted DP having about 5 titles at this point (some of which are LS) and then there were a bunch of variant covers made up for him.

Sooooooooo, why all the DP love? He's always been a fairly popular character but is he really that popular that he warrants 5 titles in addition to numerous guest appearences? Or is this Marvel making up artificial demand?

Not saying DP can't or shouldn't have a dozen titles but I've just never seen him as popular enough to have that many titles. He just never struck me as popular as the X-Men or Batman to have that many titles.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

We mostly discussed it in that thread about Marvel asking Retailers for leftover DC books for the Deadpool variant.

He's popular, in my opinion, to the beginning readers/teens/people who still want to see tons of shit blow up, get killed, etc, by someone who's 'funny'. I saw more younger people buying his books by the assloads, talking to their friends about just how damn funny he is and so badass that he can take anyone on and he never loses and blah blah blah. So , if teens have cash to spare, love Deadpool, why not shove out 5 books he stars in to suck up that extra cash?

It's like you said, they do it iwth Batman, Wolverine, X-Books, Superman, Spider-Man, and people buy it by the tons, but yea they're in the uper echelon of popularity. It's why the FF has never been able to really support an additional book, or Flash or Hawkman. One is enough and they leave it there.

But here, there's knowledge that they can milk the market dry for Deadpool fans, and they'll eat it up, and buy books that he just shows up on the cover to, and use that as a gateway to get them into other books.

That's just my take.

XIII

Post by XIII »

It's fucking ridiculous. Just cause his book did better than expected, they are putting him everywhere and turning the character into nothing than a gimmick.

What they are doing is ruining the character.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

They're definitely just fucking up his character. Basically, Wolvie has passed his title as Marvel's "go-to guest star" to Deadpool. In a year they'll realize how oversaturated he is and finally hold back, hopefully. I gave up on Deadpool awhile ago, thought his arcs were getting more stupid and less funny. IMO the "heyday" of Deadpool was Gail Simone, she brought new life into him.

Kind of funny, I was reading an old rumor column by Rich Johnston where he thought Deadpool's first series might get cancelled at issue 30, and it lasted until 69 (I think). I miss that original series...