X-Men: Second Coming

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

Tragic Angelus

X-Men: Second Coming

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Sooo the big event is building up and coming soon. I'm sure we've seen most of the preview images (5 by Daniel Acuna, 1 with simply an X symbol) all teasing this soon to hit event as Cable comes back with Hope Summers, and rounding out part 3 of the overall event that started with Messiah Complex (if I recall correctly).

Here are the 5 character images teasers:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/xmen-second-coming-teaser-100125.html

And the other:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/X-Men-Teaser-100301.html

Both from Newsarama.

I picked up the free teaser/checklist/info book last week. It has 'preview' images of 5 characters being interviewed on tape after the death that hits. But of course, we don't know who. We see Iceman, Wolverine, Magneto, Cyclops, and (I think) Cannonball, along with Cable and Hope. While of course we aren't told who, they all make references to the death, with Magneto getting up from sitting with the covered body, and Cannonball watching the autopsy, and Wolverine calling them a 'friend'.

My thoughts on the who for now are either Rogue, due to Wolverine and Magneto commenting, and her character coming 'full circle' after finally obtaining control of her powers, or Domino, due to Cannonball's inclusion and Wolverine as well since she's also on the "One Will Sacrifice.." teaser.

Or it could be someone else entirely. I get the feeling it's a female, but I can't be sure just yet.

Any thoughts? On this or the 'event' as a whole?

XIII

Post by XIII »

If Cannonball is involved in it, with Cable as a major player, it could be someone from the old X-Force team. They all came back together in New Mutants.

So yeah, maybe Domino.

Oh and Acuna really is not my thing. The teasers look ugly.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Cannonball looking over the autopsy is really what made me think Domino. Cable is in the teaser/mini-comic but he's mostly talking about Hope since the 2 of them are back, rather than commenting on the death.

Fraction built up a slight friendship between Wolverine and Domino (or perhaps it was pre-existing and I just dont' know about it, which is possible), and him saying he lost a friend is what made me think that as well. If it's her, it's no big deal for me. Rogue would have a bit bigger impact having just come to a major forefront, but Domino seems to be a safe bet too.

As for Acuna, I totally agree. I'm ok with him doing covers, or even teasers, but I cannot stand it when he does interiors. Prolonged exposure to his work makes me dislike the story as a whole. I did not care for his Flash run, or his X-Men Legacy as much either. He's the main reason I didn't pick up the Freedom Fighters mini from DC a few years back too.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Outside the 2 main X books, I have little idea who it will be, so I'll just go with Rogue. Partially because I never really cared for her character too much.

MGM

Post by MGM »

:finger:

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Those are just my two guesses, but I really have no idea. I'm sure we'lll find out soon enough though.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I find it hard to be Rogue, since Carey's completely re-tooled X-Men to a Rogue book. But maybe, although I hope not, since she's my favorite X-Man.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

MGM wrote: :finger:
:RedFinger:

I also don't care for the newest event, in a seemingly endless line of events :P

Question: Is Second Coming supposed to restore the Mutant race to their original numbers after Wanda skull fucked them?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I don't think so personally. It's more about the return of Hope now that she's older, and most likely hosting the Phoenix, and her being the Messiah child to maybe usher in a return to safety/prominance for the Mutant Race, but I can't be certain that there will suddenly be thousands of mutant births at the end of it.

I didn't read the Messiah War in X-Force and Cable, which was supposed to be Part 2 of this trilogy, so I really dont' know all the events spilling from there last year, or who might be the big bad in this storyline.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

In his CBR "X-Position" Interview that went up today, Mike Carey made mention that Sam (Cannonball) and Rogue consider themselves good friends from her early days with the X-Men, though nothing romantic, and he hopes to keep that running as he likes the idea of them being good friends.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25152

That being said, and Carey expressing his plans for future Legacy stories with Rogue, I find it hard to see it be her that dies, but this would lead it to be possible for Cannonball to be pretty upset by her death as well if Rogue does die.

Now, I'd say most of it leans towards Dominoe to me.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Tragic Angelus wrote:He's the main reason I didn't pick up the Freedom Fighters mini from DC a few years back too.
You mean apart from it being another shitty mini from DC related to their neverending Crisis, you mean? :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

Does it have to be a woman?

But it could also be one of the original New Mutants like Bobby Dacosta. Best friend of Sam, close ties to Cable from the X-Force days...

I hope not. I like Sunspot. Sunspot & Cannonball FTW. Old school X-Force represents!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It definitely doesn't have to be a woman, as the dialouge was all gender nonspecific. I only leaned towards those two because of the relationships that seemed to be apparent, and have been built up lately. Because creators generally love nothing more than building up a character just before destroying them.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

XIII wrote:You mean apart from it being another shitty mini from DC related to their neverending Crisis, you mean? :D
DCU FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XIII

Post by XIII »

We are now 3 chapters into Second Coming and I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far.
It's basically a big giant fight scene, with good guys being chased by evil guys in turn chased by good guys. You can see that Cyclops his stretching his people very thin and this will have consequences post crossover I guess.
What made me cringe when I read the first chapter was that all the historical anti-mutant leaders were back but ok, I can deal with that.
Artwise, so far it's really good.

And for you Ed, I'm sorry but with only 2 issues before the death, all clues points towards Nightcrawler. OR Warren.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I agree, it's been surprisingly good so far, even though I'm only reading Uncanny and Legacy. It's still been easy to follow, and I agree, he's really stretching himself thin, but he has to with the little section of mutants he has.

Do you think the death in Legacy counts as one of the 2 or 3 they were talking about? I don't really remember that character at all, so I dont' know who she really was. She reminded me of Lila Cheney at first but that wasn't her.

And yea, Nightcrawler is without a doubt going to die. I think now I'll be more surprised if he doesn't. I'll still be upset but I'm hoping again that death isn't permenant here.

Also, I like most of the 'Human Villains' but them all teaming up might be the one time I don't care for villains getting together. It seems a bit like overkill at times, but perhaps some of them will be dealt with permenantly in this crossover.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Haven't read Legacy yet so I don't even know who is dead.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Those historical anti-mutant leaders have been back for quite some time, since the beginning of the new X-Force.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

XIII wrote:Haven't read Legacy yet so I don't even know who is dead.
Her name is Aerial or something. She teleports from One doorway into another. But it has to literally be a doorway for her to make the jump it seems. I don't remember her at all.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Whelp, it's definitely Nightcrawler that's biting the dust. Midtown Comics has the cover up to the Incentive John Cassaday R.I.P. Variant Cover for X-Force 26 and it's a beautiful shot of Fuzzy Blue Elf :(

http://www.midtowncomics.com/Neshop/Pro ... ID=1079718