Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (aka Ultimate Spidey v2)

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

jedispyder

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (aka Ultimate Spidey v2)

Post by jedispyder »

I Bryne-read the first 2 issues awhile ago but today was the first time I read all 6 together.

Have to admit, it's good. Damn good! Too bad it's not worthy enough for me to spend $4, especially now.

-The first arc takes place 6 months after Ultimatum occurred.
-NYC is opening back up fully, and Middletown High is double capacity.
-Mutants are outlawed from using powers, as shown by Kitty almost getting kicked out of school when she phased to stop idiots from throwing food at her.
-Peter had to get a job at a fast food joint since the Bugle is no more. He and Gwen are an item, and MJ at first is pissy at them over it.
-The Crimson Cowl (or Red Hood) makes their first appearance yet is unnamed, more later. Powers include ability to disappear, can't be harmed by bullets, and cusses at villains a lot.
-The police love Spidey, as does everyone else, for what he did to save everyone during Ultimatum.
-Johnny Storm comes to the Parker household (which contains Peter, Aunt May, and Gwen) just to rest but ends up moving in. He talked with Sue and Aunt May and they both agreed it might be good for him to stay.
-Mysterio shows up, kills the newly arrived back in NYC Kingpin by blasting him out of his penthouse window. He claims he wants to "take it all" and not just a slice of it.
-Red Hood/Crimson Cowl saves MJ from getting kidnapped. MJ talks to Peter and tells him how she's not sure if the Red Hood/Crimson Cowl (still unnamed) is male or female cause they're changing their voice (not sure if it's a voice changer or not). She also thinks they go to Middletown but it's just a hunch.
-Spidey stops Mysterio from stealing a shitton of gold bricks, Mysterio gets pissed at Spidey.
-Mysterio attacks one of the bridges and Spidey and Red Hood/Crimson Cowl stop him.
-Bobby Drake, aka Iceman, got kicked out of his parent's house and tries to stay with Kitty, yet Kitty's mom refuses. He instead moves in to the Parker household.
-Aunt May, Gwen, and Kitty get together and change Johnny's and Bobby's appearances and give them the last name Parker, claiming they're "cousins" and enrolling them in school.
-MJ reveals she still wants to be with Peter and be friends with Gwen, they try to make up.
-The Principal tells Aunt May he still thinks Peter is Spidey but is fine with it. I have the feeling he thinks Peter's "cousins" are superheroes and states he wants everyone to be "normal and safe" insinuating that if they are superheroes it might be good since they can protect the students.
-Mysterio sends a Spider-Slayer after Spidey (who dropped blood on Mysterio's gear during the bridge incident). Spidey and Red Hood/Crimson Cowl stop the robot, Johnny burns it and accidentally melts any evidence.
-Big reveal is that Kitty Pryde is Red Hood/Crimson Cowl. I kind of thought it was her, especially with the whole "disappearing" and bullets don't hurt them. They also brought up the whole "male or female" on purpose to make us think who it could be.

Overall a great read, but I still won't buy it unless they reduce the price to $3.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The new series sounds really great. The last Ultimate Spdier-man story I read was the Symbiotes story (can't remember exactly what it was called).

Is the creative team still Bendis and Imonem? Is Ultimatum worth getting?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote: Is the creative team still Bendis and Imonem? Is Ultimatum worth getting?

No, none of it was.

The main Ultimatum especially.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Ultimatum was utter shite if you listen to all reviewers on the internet.

Immonen left Ultimate Spiderman a while ago. He does New Avengers with Bendis now.

David Lafuente took over art chores on U. Spider-Man.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Ultimate was utter shite even if you read the story. Too much things packed into such a short series, could have easily been a maxi series to clearly explain and show everything.