Young Avengers

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

MGM

Young Avengers

Post by MGM »

Is anyone reading this? Finally caught up with the first 2 issues and it''s wonderfully fun. And great art, too.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I like it but not as much as I had hoped. Still a fun read!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I enjoyed Heinberg and Cheung's runs on the book but opted to pass on this one. What is the character line up in the book?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Hawkeye (Kate Bishop, to be clear)
Noh-Varr
Hulkling
Wiccan
Loki
Captain America Chavez? Something like that.

Gillen's writing is simply plain fun and there are some neat art tricks in the book that I really enjoyed.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I wanted to like this one, I bought issue 1 but was rather underwhelmed. I enjoyed Avengers Arena more.

MGM

Post by MGM »

You jest.

XIII

Post by XIII »

No I don't.
It seems I can't see what everyone is seeing in the Gillen/McKelvie duet. Phonogram didn't impress me either.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Gillen did a great job of writing Loki in Journey Into Mystery. Seeing Loki solve one problem connivingly and then deal with the consequences connivingly was very enjoyable.
This looks like a book that will use Loki in the same way and hopefully give him a bigger audience. It's more of the same from Gillen here and it's enjoyable stuff.
McKelvie's art is the biggest treat in this book though. Especially some of the unique choices on panels.

Does anyone know where Miss America is from?

Also, what do you think of McKelvie's drawing of Wiccan and Hulkling? Do they look too trendy gay, or just right?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Judging from my neighbors, they don't look trendy enough. :D But I think they're looking good.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

YOUNG AVENGERS #4
Writer: Gillen
Artist: Mckelvie

So, who is reading this?

I'm enjoying it. It's currently a Loki book. A Loki from Gillen's Journey Into Mystery series book featuring a new supporting cast. It's fun. Loki is both mysterious in his ultimate goals and very funny. The 'team', understandably don't trust him, but what are they going to do? He seems to know stuff. They seem to need him. It's a great basic dynamic for a book.

The basic story so far is that Wiccan/Billy the Wanda/Strange of the book used his powers to try and bring back Hulking/(Can't remember name)/his bf's mum back from another world where she's still alive. Billy tries to take her from a world, where much like in this world, she was about to be killed. Nice motives, seems to get the job done, but uh-oh! It's not Hulking's mum! It's something very powerful and eventually brings the cast together.
Looks like issue 5 is the conclusion to the first story and it's quite strong. Mckelvie makes some great artistic decisions throughout and in this issue, Nor-vah's personality is brilliantly captured by Mckelvie's action panels. I don't know if this is an established personality for Nor-vah, or something Gillen has been allowed to create, but it's something nice that will give the guy a distinct voice compared to the other characters.