Marvel spoils end of AoU, Gaiman brings Angela to Marvel Universe

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

XIII

Marvel spoils end of AoU, Gaiman brings Angela to Marvel Universe

Post by XIII »

So Marvel was so proud that only 8 people knew the ending of AoU that they decided to spoil for everyone with the New York Times.
It will end with the character Angela coming to the Marvel Universe.
Angela is the Spawn killer created by Neil Gaiman in Spawn #9 that then led to a copyright feud and trial between him and McFarlane.
Angela will tour the Marvel Universe in the coming year, join the Guardians of the Galaxy with Neil Gaiman co-writing issue 5 of the book with Bendis.

The biggest news in this is probably the return of Gaiman to Marvel Universe. Because, honestly, who still gives a shit about Angela?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It's not exactly the ending to AoU but instead the literal end. This will be what Quesada is drawing yet I'm guessing from the descriptions it has nothing to do with the story itself.

I'm intrigued by it but how much relevance will Angela have in the Marvel U? I'm not too familiar with the character but she was an angel killer or something like that, right?

XIII

Post by XIII »

She was an angel whose job was to kill the Hellspawns, if I recall correctly. So yeah, I don't know either what she's going to be doing in the Marvel Universe.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Complete character re-vamp!
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Despite spoiling it, Marvel is still poly bagging the issue.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Evidently this isn't the real spoiler.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Age of Ultron happened 10 years ago and everything that has happened since then has been in the Matrix.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Who actually owns Angela then? I gather Gaiman won that legal battle, but if Marvel are going to use the character - who owns her?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Still Gaiman, I guess. Or maybe he sold her to Marvel, just to spite McFarlane.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Maybe Marvel is just "renting" her?

I'm thinking this whole "reveal Angela" is a bit of subterfuge, with the real secret appearance being Marvelman finally making an appearance. Marvel got the rights long ago and have said they'd do something with him and never have. So maybe both Marvelman and Angela are somehow connected, so with his appearance in the big finale it leads to her cameo in the "epilogue" of the issue...

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

That's a good point, we still haven't seen MarvelMan. I wonder if Gaiman's MarvelMan collection will or are on the previews for after the end of this Ultron story?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Stocky Boy wrote:That's a good point, we still haven't seen MarvelMan. I wonder if Gaiman's MarvelMan collection will or are on the previews for after the end of this Ultron story?
Gaiman refuses the publish the end of his Miracleman till the earlier issues are reprinted.
Those early Eclipse issues are still a shit show of a legal problem.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:Who actually owns Angela then? I gather Gaiman won that legal battle, but if Marvel are going to use the character - who owns her?
Neil Gaiman owns the rights to Angela. McFarlane finally admits as much in an interview.
"Neil Gaiman and I had a resolution in our legal dispute, and as part of that he ended up with the rights of Angela," the Spawn creator told Newsarama. "Whatever Neil chooses to do with something that he owns is at his complete and utter discretion."[\quote]

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/todd-mc ... arvel.html

For years the resolution of the court case and the ownership of Angela was under wraps until today

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Neil Gaiman owns the rights to Angela. McFarlane finally admits as much in an interview.
"Neil Gaiman and I had a resolution in our legal dispute, and as part of that he ended up with the rights of Angela," the Spawn creator told Newsarama. "Whatever Neil chooses to do with something that he owns is at his complete and utter discretion."[\quote]

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/todd-mc ... arvel.html

For years the resolution of the court case and the ownership of Angela was under wraps until today
No it wasn't... this was well known for a long time.
Gaiman was given the choice beween Angela and Miracleman form a judge years ago when he originally sued McFarlene.

Angela hasn't been used in Spawn since the early 100's (I believe) because of this.

They are making the fact Angela is Gaiman's character a big shocking thing when it isn't, it's been that way since 05 or so when McFarlene settled to make it go away.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

There's more to AoU then this as revealed in this week's issue. Won't spoil it, but I was plesantly surprised by the end of issue 3.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Bends finally learns how to write a team book?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

No team to it really. Each issue seems to primarily focus on a pair of heroes so far, with the group discussions mixed in.