Uncanny X-Men is back already

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

XIII

Uncanny X-Men is back already

Post by XIII »

Uncanny X-Men is coming back in February, featuring Cyclops and his team from AVX Consequences.
Brian Bendis will be writing and Chris Bachalo will have art duties.

I'll buy it cause there is Bachalo but I'll drop the title as soon as he leaves (which means I'm probably only getting #1-3).

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I love that Scott and Emma are splitsville! I was never a big fan of that coupling so it's good to see it finally end.

I also love the idea of them being villains now. The only thing that can make this title suck is Bendis.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Uncanny was never going to be cancelled permanently. Marvel would never do something as stupid as that.

However, I am sad that Scott and Emma are breaking up. I felt like that whole relationship helped Scott evolve in a larger way than being with Jean ever could (much as I loved that pairing).

I'll be picking it up because I like Bendis but I've come to dislike Bachalo. His art gets more and more exaggerated and disproportionate. If he continues at that rate, its only a matter of time till we see tits on Wolverine

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Uncanny was never going to be cancelled permanently. Marvel would never do something as stupid as that.
Reason I don't think Superior Spider-Man will last long as the flagship title.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

It's issue 3 Arn! Is Bach going to be around for issue 4, or isn't he? :)

UNCANNY X.MEN #3
Writer: Bendis
Art: Bachalo

So, we have a talkie confrontation with the Avengers, well, the Avengers Assemble team really. Isn't this a bit odd?
The issue is establishing Cyclops's reason for having his team exist and justifying it. I think the Avengers have to come across as dicks here, which is unfortunate. Overall though, I'm not sure 'revolution' has to form part of Cyclops mandate. Essentially, he's trying to get to mutants before a government representative or security force does and take them in for their own good. Why he doesn't then pass them on to the Westchester, legit X.Men is beyond me.

The intrigue of Magneto's game appears to come to a close in this issue, which is unsatisfying. I'm hoping it's a double bluff of sorts.

I can't remember how this ended... any help?

XIII

Post by XIII »

It ended with Cyclops and his team showing up at the door of the Jean Grey School, and Scott saying "To me, my X-Men".
Also, I think Scott can't give the kids to the Jean Grey School cause he sees them as being in league with the Avengers (with Wolverine being around both teams).
It's an ok book, I'm just very sad that Bachalo is leaving and it's Irving that's stepping in.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Bachalo is on for issue 4, but yes I'm sad to see he won't be on for the next arc also. I'm even more upset that it's Irving stepping in. I don't like his art, and while I feel it suits mystical/alternate reality based stories well, I don't want to see it in X-Men. Hopefully Bachalo will be back for the next arc.

Scott has his own school as well, so he wants to train new mutants for what he believes will be the revolution, and as Arn said, I'm sure he believes Logan to be in line with the Avengers somewhere along the line, and that he, Emma, and Magneto can protect mutants better than Logan's school can.

I was greatly disappointed that the Magneto is the traitor story ended here in a way. I was hoping it'd run for at least close to a year, rather than 2 issues. Hopefully it doesn't end like that.

While I don't care for Magneto's new costume, I must say, his reveal as the traitor image looked great. I love the way Bachalo draws him, and that was a wonderful image.

I'm liking this book, but this one is being carried more by Bachalo's art for me than by Bendis' story. All-New X-Men is the opposite. The story is carrying the book more than the great art by Immonen on that one.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Yeah, about Magneto's new costume.

I think white works well on him. I really loved the design of the Age of X Magneto. For the most part he didn't wear the helmet, but as the lead good guy, the white armour look was great for him.
http://www.psysdomain.com/picsg-m/magneto50.jpg
And in this shot, I found an image of all the Age of X costumes, because they're just so fucking awesome:
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt18 ... ageofx.jpg

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

His Age of X costume was awesome. When I met Clay Mann and asked for a Magneto sketch, he actually asked if I wanted classic or not. When I asked about other options, he mentioned Age of X, and I had to debate which to get! He did a great job redesigning him for that arc.

However, I must say, there's something about Magneto's regular costume. It's wonderful. Even the variations on it still look great to me. While I like this one, I am pretty much waiting to see the regular Red and Purple return.

XIII

Post by XIII »

On Twitter, Bachalo has confirmed he is doing issue 4 and will be back for issue 8.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

You have to wonder who Mags is screwing over, the team or SHIELD. While I love his new costume, I like it without the helmet. Then again, it could just be Bachalo's fault on that part.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

UNCANNY X.MEN #5
Writer: Bendis
Artist: Irving

So, like Arn noted, Bach is off this issue. Irving, I imagine is a type of artist who divides people. You either like him or not. I quite like his unique style. In this issue, I feel he draws Magik's soul sword more pleasingly than Bach's Final Fantasy style overkill.

Quick Issue 4 recap:
if I remember correctly featured Emma Frost mind talking to the Stepford Cuckoos while a confrontational conversation was going on at the Jean Grey School porch. So, this is how Bendis would cover the same material twice in two books. I didn't predict exactly what he would do, but I think I got the jist. I believe it was this issue that has shat all over the big reveal in the ANXM issue coming out soon. What was the point of the cliffhanger in ANXM's last issue if UXM treats it like no big thing?

Issue 5 seems to have moved on to a new story, which will bring the newly established regular cast of New Xavier students and Cykes staff together. Magik, like all the other former Phoenix power weilders is breaking up a bit and having difficulty using her powers.
This didn't feel like a bad issue. Lots of conversation bubbles, but not too bad. Interesting set up for a story in Limbo, but, I'm not that interested and it's time to cut back on some comics.
Uncanny has just been chopped.

What do you guys think?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I don't know if Uncanny spoiled the reveal as much as it was supposed to feature the reveal. Bendis has said that the two books are complementary, and should be read together for the best results but can be read separately too. This seems like what he did quite often with his Avengers run. For me, being a huge X-Men fan this doesn't bother me as I'll be reading both no matter what. But when it comes to Avengers I wasn't that into it at the time.

Issue 5 wasn't bad in terms of story, but I do not care for Irving's art. I get it fits the Limbo aspects but I would rather have him only for those scenes. I had trouble telling who was who at times and what was going on. I've never been a big fan of his work and this one didn't help. I'll be glad when this arc is done.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I don't know if Uncanny spoiled the reveal as much as it was supposed to feature the reveal. Bendis has said that the two books are complementary, and should be read together for the best results but can be read separately too. This seems like what he did quite often with his Avengers run. For me, being a huge X-Men fan this doesn't bother me as I'll be reading both no matter what. But when it comes to Avengers I wasn't that into it at the time.

Issue 5 wasn't bad in terms of story, but I do not care for Irving's art. I get it fits the Limbo aspects but I would rather have him only for those scenes. I had trouble telling who was who at times and what was going on. I've never been a big fan of his work and this one didn't help. I'll be glad when this arc is done.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'm right that ANXM's reveal issue hasn't come out yet, right? Do you reckon ANXM's issue was supposed to come out before UXM#5?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

No it hasn't and I don't think so. I think it's going to be revealed in both because they're meant to be together as if they're crossing over for the first time. But if you read only one of them it'll be revealed in that one. And yes in the digital age that means it'll be spoiled but I was fairly certain most solicits said the reveal would be seen in both books. Unless I'm thinking of early reviews and interviews with Bendis at which point he mentioned they'd reveal it in both.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

ANXM's reveal was in the issue released this week. Sort of underwhelming having read the Uncanny X-Men intro. They try to make a big deal by having the first page be "no, don't!" from all main characters. I left the issue feeling that this issue should be read before the Uncanny reveal. Pretty shitty on Marvel's part to release it after the fact.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Just read issues 5&6 and yeah, those were boring enough.
I don't care for Limbo and Ilyana, I don't like Frazer Irving so really those were not for me.
I'm considering chopping this book too.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh and why is everyone making such a big deal about Dazzler being in there?
Who cares about Dazzler, really? Even if it hadn't been spoiled by CBR, I don't think it's a moment that would have had my jaw drop.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I wouldn't say it would make my jaw drop, but it would've been a neat surprise that a former X-Man is now working for SHIELD in a new division. But yeah, having the news sites reveal it a week in advance by using a solicit cover really took the impact away. I wasn't aware it was Dazzler on the cover because, to be honest, sometimes Bachalo's characters look the same, and there we had a blonde mutant in a SHIELD uniform. I actually thought it was going to be Emma until I saw the headlines on CBR.