Uncanny Avengers #1

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Same with me, looks like a book I'll only do variants on and if no variant then I won't buy it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Come on guys, Marvel Now! was definitely planned so long in advance that the flagship title is late by issue 2.
That's Marvel being ridicule right there.
Damn, even Jim Lee checked all his deadlines.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

If it is artist troubles, the big two have to make better choices when picking big name artists over more reliable ones.

Got to say, I actually don't much like Cassaday art anyway.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

So the first arc wrapped (finally) on Uncanny Avengers with issue 4. Anyone still reading it?

What'd everyone think of the preview of the future at the end of issue 4? Can't say I'm all to happy about it. I liked how the first arc ended but if that persona really does return I don't know how Marvel will handle it. I just don't see how that could possibly happen.

Wasp, Wonder Man, and Sunfire join next issue though. Wouldn't mind seeing the team expand a bit, but hope it doesn't turn into a "3 characters this arc, 4 characters next arc, then back to these 3" kind of thing.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm not a fan of the title, especially the writing. And I'm STILL pissed off with them for mutilating Xavier's body, that's pretty low.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I love the villain's Reminder's created. He's great at coming up with quirky villains who are interesting. Anyone read his Uncanny X.Force run? His Horsemen?

I'm finding the story interesting so far. I'm really not a big fan of Cassaday's costume art though. Everything else about his art, like his more realistic human builds, faces in general, story-telling - I like. I assume there were some guidelines to drawing Cap's new movie-looking costume, but it's like Cassaday just ignored all that. I'm not sure who's to blame for bringing back Havoc's old look and why, from preview art, does Sunfire still have a costume straight out of the 70s? DC finally realised that Cyborg's leotard outfit is unacceptable, why no movement with Sunfire? Oh well, atleast they took Wanda out of her burlesque outfit.

I'm intrigued with this book and the general remit of being the PR team. I'll stick around for the next book.

I don't mind the over the top concept of un-braining Xavier's corpse to harness his power. The Red Skull seems like the perfect match up for such a crazy, dangerous ploy.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I must say, I'm apparently the only person in the world that really likes Havok's original costume. I love the all black with the white circles and headband really. The only other one I've really liked was his costume in Mutant X as well.

And yes, Sunfire is in his original costume as well, which I really like too. Did they ever do a storyline where it explains how he lost the AoA look he gained by becoming a Horseman of Apocalypse? I know he became a Maurader during Messiah CompleX but I never saw him anywhere else that I recall. Was he in Uncanny X-Force?

XIII

Post by XIII »

I think the last time Sunfire was in a book before becoming an Avenger was in the last incarnation of New Mutants which ended when Marvel Now started.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

You're thinking Sunspot. Last time we saw Sunfire was Heroic Age: X-Men in early 2011.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh, yeah! Sunfire. Sorry bout the mistake.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Does that one shot deal with him losing the AoA/Horseman look?

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Yeah, I kind of recall a fairly recent book where Sunfire had his (far superior looking, sorry Ed) AoA outfit. Uncanny X.Force had Sunfire in it during their AoA story, but I guess that doesn't count.
I quite liked Havoc's MutantX outfit too. Blue, gold wristguards and circle on chest. I quite like certain parts of Havoc's original costume; the full body black and chest circles. However, the white gloves Cassaday's added look awful to me and the headband as part of the face mask instead of a floating headband seems to make the three crescent shapes look weirder than they did when they floated.

It's funny how people's tastes vary here. I swear that the Udon designed Taskmaster outfit is much better than the traditional one, but there's a lot of support for a caped, real skull mask Taskmaster. Could today's artist atleast lose the y-fronts though?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I do prefer the higher headbands on Havok, rather than putting them on the mask itself. I guess I never really noticed his gloves though, I"ll have to look back at that.

I like Sunfire's AoA look as well, but I've always liked his original one as well. I did not like his early 90s look however, where it was red and metallic armor, right after the team split to Blue and Gold. I wasn't a fan of that.

XIII

Post by XIII »

The Sunfire in Uncanny X-Force was the one from AoA, not the 616 universe so no, it doens't really count.
And yes, the AoA Sunfire had the much better looking costume.

MGM

Post by MGM »

There he finally looked badass. And a fire-based character should look that way. His original costume is dreadful. But so is Havok's.