Marvel's Cancelpocalypse

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

jedispyder

Marvel's Cancelpocalypse

Post by jedispyder »

http://ifanboy.com/articles/cancelpocalypse-whos-next/

Marvel has recently done some House cleaning. So far, they've cancelled:
X-23
Ghost Rider
Alpha Flight
Daken: Dark Wolverine
Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive
Iron Man 2.0
Herc

Then, before they even came out, they halted production and cancelled Destroyers and Victor Von Dom (this was fully finished, from what I understand, yet poof we'll never see it). Several other books are possibly on the bubble...

My retailer actually warned me about this, that his boss told him Marvel was cutting the line on the lower books. No more quantity over quality, it seems. So that means that DC really did hurt them to cancel this many books in less than a month.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Marvel will make up their losses by either increasing prices on their remaining titles to $3.99 or reducing the page count on all current books...Probably both

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Probably.

I figured that X-23 & Daken were going to be part of this while Wolverine 300 thing and then relaunched somehow in that whole shifting. But if it's part of this greater cancellation that's possible. Alpha Flight I guess wasn't canceled so much as reverted back to a mini series, since that's what it was to start with, but I do see how it was canceled too.

Whether this was DC's fault or them just cleaning house I don't know. I mean, DC used to cancel upwards of 3-4 books at a time as well.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

They had planned to clean house a little but after DC took the market share last month (which hasn't happened in about 10 years I think), I guess they went to extremes.

They're also pushing their digital line. From what I understand, all of their Ultimate and First Class titles will be polybagged with free digital codes. There were also rumors that all $3.99 books will follow suit, which I hope they don't. I really don't see that lasting for very long.

Also, Marvel already has started to cut back on the length of the issues without announcing it. Pretty annoying...

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

jedispyder wrote: Also, Marvel already has started to cut back on the length of the issues without announcing it. Pretty annoying...
It's more smarmy than it is annoying. Like a sleazy used-car-salesman-like tactic

I'll most likely pick up The Defenders because its got a great creative team and I like those characters but I'll drop it if they start with the bullshit

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

DC has finally outnumbered Marvel for the first time ever on my pull list, thanks to all this bullshit.

My LCBGuy had a decent idea.

If marvel wants to keep up these B and C character stories, they should start doing a 100 page Marvel Presents or something for the, once a month, with all the characters in them again.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Does anyone know if Alpha Flight gets to finsih out its 8 issues?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It will. From what I understand, it started as a mini yet it got rave reviews so they upped it to an ongoing yet after selling poorly they downed it back to a mini. So it will end it's normal run at issue 8.