Close to the chopping block

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Stocky Boy

Close to the chopping block

Post by Stocky Boy »

The following books on my pull list are all up for the chop.

Daredevil
Air

New Mutants
Secret Warriors
Unwritten
Greek Street
House of Mystery

The break between the list is there for a reason. The first half of the list represent books I just don't really enjoy. Air had a rather interesting first issue and everything then on, although interesting, just doesn't do it for me.

I should have stopped reading Daredevil after Bendis left it. I think this is a character who just can't really support enough interest without a unique writer who just gets it.

All the other books I enjoyed, but not enough to bother buying them in serial. I should just wait for the trade.

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

This is good to know cuz I almost picked up the first trade of Air a week ago. If it's downhill from the first issue I'm not paying for it. ^_^
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Wally and/or Arn may disagree with me. I say those two, because they seem quite taken with the writer's other work.

The love aspects of the book seem to read very much from the jilted girl perspective, where nothing done by the girl is wrong. If the girl did something questionable, it was either because she was confused, scared or upset when they happened. Man should have understood. If man gets upset, it's because man doesn't understand. Man can also take a double blame here, because he not only reacted poorly (blame 1) he didn't understand (blame 2). Damn man!
I'm starting to read everything about the sci fi element in the same why I read JK Rowling's invented sport Quidditch i.e. something only a woman would have come up with.

Is this a chauvinsitic reading of Air? :D

Elsewhere, I've mentioned that while the book has a good, unique catch and is interesting, it simply isn't to my taste.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Wally and/or Arn may disagree with me. I say those two, because they seem quite taken with the writer's other work.

The love aspects of the book seem to read very much from the jilted girl perspective, where nothing done by the girl is wrong. If the girl did something questionable, it was either because she was confused, scared or upset when they happened. Man should have understood. If man gets upset, it's because man doesn't understand. Man can also take a double blame here, because he not only reacted poorly (blame 1) he didn't understand (blame 2). Damn man!
I'm starting to read everything about the sci fi element in the same why I read JK Rowling's invented sport Quidditch i.e. something only a woman would have come up with.

Elsewhere, I've mentioned that while the book has a good, unique catch and is interesting, it simply isn't to my taste.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I have chopped all those!
And I just chopped thunderbolts.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well, it's a shame that Air's best issue is #1 since it's the one I "lost".

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

XIII wrote:Well, it's a shame that Air's best issue is #1 since it's the one I "lost".
You didn't lose it. Some opportunistic brit writer pinched it. :D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Well at least he's got a new copy of Air #1 signed by the writer :)

So far my interest in Air has been pretty even. Its had its little ups and downs but so far its kept me mostly interested enough to keep coming back; not sure how long that will continue for. I just want the title to become a little more fast paced.

I'm still enjoying Daredevil for the most part, but (and this is a big but), the overuse of Wilson Fisk and his constant "returns" have completely removed any real sense of power and danger that Wilson Fisk held for me. The writers build up Wilson Fisks return, then he comes outWilson Fisk has made so many comebacks that I don't care for him anymore.

Its like what the writers did with Venom in the 90s. Constant use and overexposure changed Venom from one of Spider-mans greatest foes to a B-level bad guy he beat up on once a year. No real threat anymore.

Going forward any and all writers need to not use Wilson Fisk for a good 2-3 years. And then give him a grand return. And not get beaten to a pulp by DD by the end of the issue.

Greek Street will be a great read but ,like most Vertigo books, it'll be far better in trade format than single monthly so I'll give it another go when the first trade is released.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:

Absolutely, but you're pretty much right on every point.

If Air were made into a television show or film, it would air (pun unavoidable) on the Lifetime network endlessly.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm on the fence about Greek Street and Unwritten as well. Greek Street will probably lose it, if the second arc doesn't seriously pick up the pace. Unwritten has Carey on it, though, so I think I'll stick with that a bit longer.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'll de dropping DareDevil as soon as the current story wraps up. I'll be replacing it with Flash #1. I'll also be adding Birds of Prey and the new Avengers title whenever it debuts.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Birds of Prey! Because it's been a while since we got a T&A comics. Thank you so much Ed Benes. :puke:

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm dropping Titans as soon as it becomes a villains-for-hire book led by Deathstroke. And if Outsiders current arc doesn't shape up after Didio's first issue, I'm going to drop it most likely as well.