Wolverine Sequel has Writer & Director

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Wolverine Sequel has Writer & Director

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Christopher McQuarrie (Valkyrie) has been named by 20th Century Fox to write the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine, according to Thursday's Variety.

Full article:
http://www.newsarama.com/film/090814-wo ... equel.html

No word yet on whether Hood will return to direct the sequel but I sincerely hope he doesn't. Origins was awful. Another interesting tidbit is that it'll be based off the Miller Claremont miniseries in which Wolverine was in Japan so that'll be great (if they do it well).

Python

Post by Python »

I figured they were going to go to Japan next, seeing how it's one of the best Wolvie stories out there. If they are faithful to Miller's adaption, it should be good.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

It's funny that during the ORIGINS movies, Wolverine will go to Japan to train to become a Samurai and then later on in the X-Movies, he'll wind up getting his ass kicked by Mystique & Yuriko.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

....I almost suggested 'memory loss?' as reasoning against those skills, but then I realized that if he trains and practices enough, he'd realize he had the skills when he did those things because you can't really Untrain your muscles and reflexes. He'd just be surprised that he could do them.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

It's just the same thing that happens when you make films that are set in a reverse chronological order: better shit happens in the more recent film than in the earlier one.

Best example I guess is Star Wars. I bet, retrospectively, they never intended Darth Vader to look naff in comparison to Darth Maul, Count Dooku and even Darth Sidious.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Before I respond to that I need to know what "naff" means.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Crappy.

I am of course entirely correct, so it will be interesting reading your next reply. :D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Noppers, Vader never looked naff in comparison Dooku, Maul or Sidious. Maul maybe looked cooler but it didn't diminish Vader and Maul only looked cooler because he flitted around like a ballerina on crack.

Dooku was just an geriatric in skin tight pants and a brown cape and Sidious was the even older freakshow in a poncho.

A better example of better things happening in more recent films would be special effects i.e. having the ability to better animate Yoda

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I specifically mean that the fight choreography of old Vader vs. Luke is not as impressive looking when compared to;Maul vs 2 jedis, or Dooku vs 2 jedis, or Dooku vs Yoda, or even Euan vs. Anakin.
I'm wondering if you mean that Vader still feels like a badass, even if his fight choreography isn't as flash?

Retrospectively, I think we should have been shown in the fighting that Vader vs. Luke would be clash of the titans compared to all other fights (except Sidious vs. Yoda or Sidious vs. Samuel Windu) - although it does force you to suspend belief that a half trained Luke is a decent match to Old Man Anakin who single handedly wiped out the jedi temple. If you made the films in chronological order, it would likely be the case that the last battle shown would be the 'epic' one - again even though it forces you to believe Luke's two month training would propel him to temple raiding Anakin prowess.
When you put the fights in 'filmed' order, Old mand Vader and Luke look like they can't hold their own against cunning strategist Euan Kenoki or aggressive Hayden Skywalker

Example: perfect. :D Especially since the reason I brought up the example is on the assumption that the next Wolverine film will be in Japan and Wolverine will learn all kinds of badassery, which we wouldn't have seen him do in the previous films. This will all seem odd considering the time line in which all the films are set and it will seem like Wolverine's getting less skilled the further foward in time we go. It's more likely this wasn't planned and some retrospective plot fixing will have to be woven into the films to justify Wolverine being a better fighter in the past than he is now. Or they'll just whistle away any nit-picking, which in some respects I'm fine with them doing.