Book of the Week: December 29th

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Book of the Week: December 29th

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Of the titles I picked up:

Gotham City Sirens #18
Justice Society of America #46
Avengers #8

Avengers #8 was my top pick. The current storyline is about someone stealing the Infinity Gems from various members of the Illuminati to re-create the Infinity Gauntlet. I've found the Infinity Gems to be great plot points within stories and the fact that we don't get to see them used so often makes it even better when they are used. So far the Power & Reality Gem have been stolen from Black Bolt & Mister Fantastic. Along the way the thief has also beaten the crap out of the Hulk.

Upon learning the news of the Infinity Gems being stolen Iron Man gathers the members of the Illuminati to inform them of what is happening and but is stopped in his way by the Avengers.

JSA is okay but I'm not really vested in the current (or any story) they do that has to do with Nazi's. Just to be clear, I'm not defending Nazi's, I'm just sick of them being used as plot points every 3rd storyline.

Gotham City Sirens is another okay issue but what annoyed me about this current story is the excessive usage of mindwipes. Zatanna attempted to mindwipe Catwoman in this issue and in her own title it was revealed that Zatanna was mindwiped by her own father. Just like Nazi's when a major plot point gets so overused, they lose their badassness.

Funny thing about all 3 of these titles, they're all rehashing major storylines but in this case Marvel did it best because they haven't used the Infinity Gems in a few years.