Taking a break from comics

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Taking a break from comics

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

For a very long time now I've not been enjoying reading comics as much as I used to. Over the last several months to a year, that feeling has intensified. For the longest time I kept threatening to give up the hobby altogether. Though I didn't do that, I did cull my pull list by more than half. I dropped every single Darkhorse, Vertigo & image title with the exception of Saga & Saga is nearly halfway done.

I cut down my marvel to only Uncanny X-Men & Star Wars.

On the DC side I only collect Batman, Detective, JLA, Batgirl & Wonder Woman.

As time goes on, depending on the creative team, I may drop Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Star Wars as well.

I'm still collecting trades but those are only for image titles that are ending soon and once those end, I won't be picking up any new titles. The only trades I'd continue to buy are Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan & Powers - which is great because they only come out quarterly

I doubt ever I'll walk away completely but for now, this is probably best

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Totally understand. Every now and again I wonder why I'm reading certain books and I start cutting things down and selling off old books. Sorry to hear you're cutting down so much, but I totally get it. We'll keep you up to date I'm sure.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I understand too. I've done it once or twice myself.

Are you finding all the stories stale?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

I blame the children.
Do you still feel like attending NYCC? I remember that each time I came back from New York, my retailer was the happiest guy in the world cause I was adding loads of books to my pull list. Then the interest would wane and some title would go.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I didn't mean for my post to come off as whiney or sad. On the contrary, I'm perfectly happy with chopping my pull list. If nothing else, financially it'll be great for me.

A fair amount of what I'm reading, I'm not enjoying much of and to top it off, I usually read my books pretty quickly so there's no sense of getting the most bang for my buck. Most of the marvel stuff is not geared towards me, which is fine because Marvel wants to attract a new demographic. So rather than be pissy about it, I'll just collect what I like. Also, on a personal level, the non stop reboots and relaunches and renumbering really burn my ass.

On the DC end, I don't care for their crossovers. At. All. My only love for DC are the core Bat titles, BG, WW, Aquaman & JLA. Aquaman is the only title I see myself checking in with once in a while. Beyond that, I don't much have much of an interest in DC.

I'm still excited for NYCC and any small mini Cons in between. I'll still try and get sigs from creators but only certain ones. I won't spend my day in artist alley waiting for Sigs. I'll have more free time to check out panels and other booths.

However, I will still be more than happy to take requests from you guys for comic cons if you want anything.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:I blame the children.
They are the bane of my existence

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Though I may be taking a break from comics, I'll never take a break from Alex Maleev.

He is the Apple of my eye. My reason for being.

He completes me.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I've felt the same way with certain titles (TMNT, Buffy, Angel). I have no desire to read them even though I'm told they're good. I'd rather instead read back issues.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I've streamlined my purchase quite a bit. I've been buying bits and pieces from the whole Secret Wars saga though, even though I said I wouldn't - very naughty.