NY Special Edition Con tomorrow June 6-7 2015

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

NY Special Edition Con tomorrow June 6-7 2015

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

This is super late notice (I only just remembered) but tomorrow and Sunday is NY Special Edition Comic Con. If anyone would like me to get anything for them DM me on facebook or Twitter. Preferably on facebook. As always, no guarantee but I will do my absolute best to try and get it for you.

Will post details and pics later.

Bye now

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The con was not held at the Javits center this year instead it was held at nearby at Pier 94 (if that means anything to anyone). The com got bigger this year. Last year there were a few vendors, this year there were a LOT more vendors.

The only other item of note is that the entire center had only 2 mens restrooms and early on, one of the restrooms "broke" so the there was only one functioning restroom. For the remainder of the day, if you wanted to go to the mens room, you had to wait in a line that was longer than the line for Bendis.

At one point a fight almost broke out because the line was for the restroom was blocking an exit (a fire hazard) and the Fire Marshall tried to get the line to wrap around an adjoining wall, but people adamantly refused to move- which was silly because the g was only doing his job and making sure the center followed safety regulations.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Did you piss up against the side of a wall?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I tried but Alex Maleev kept flinging books at my genitals and throwing off my aim

Sigs I got:
A Force by Marguriette Bennett
Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan and Karl Kerchel
Batman Eternal by James Tynion
Print by Marjorie Liu
Vikings issue by Brian Wood
Storm by Greg Pak
Incredible Hercules by Fred Van Lente
Conan by Cary Nord
Invincible meets Spider-Man by Ryan Ottley
Something by Michael Golden
Something by Dave Fox
Empire of the Dead by Alex Maleev
Batman 1 by Snyder
Marvel Team & and a very obscure Batman book by Bendis
Trees by Jason Howard
A Mice Templar sample by Bryan JL Glass
Leaving Megalopolis by James Califiore
Nightmare World by Dirk Manning
Justice League by Kevin Maguire
Some more I think but can't remember.

Creators that consistently had super long lines were Jason Latour, Charles Soule, Scott Snyder and Brian Bendis. And those who had the longest lines by far were Bendis & Snyder. I'll post pics of their but they were so huge they has their own security detail.

This was my first time meeting Snyder and he is such a nice guy. He's very soft spoke and seems so sincere. You can get lost in his deep almond colored eyes.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The first day, artist alley was insane. There were lines every where. It was a little difficult to move at times but nowhere near the craziness of NYCC. Also there were a lot more vendors and creators this year. The second day was much more relaxed. Most of the lines from the first day had all but disappeared except for the aforementioned above. Some people were only there for one day so they had long lines for their tables on either sat or Sunday. Like Cloonan and Bennett.

I also picked up a bunch of trades:
Chew vol 7-9
Walking Dead 19-22
Sweet Tooth vol 5 (finally)
Leaving Megalopolis (spur of the moment purchase because I was talking to Calafiore)
Various other back issues I had been looking for

As much as I had the first day, getting sigs, I enjoyed the 2nd day much more. A guy I only knew as a casual acquaintance was there this year and was exhibiting in artist alley. He had a new comic out he wrote with his friend and we got to talking and then spent the next several hours hanging out at his table helping him sell his books, walk around, checking out other indie artists he knew who were also at the con. He also helped me score a great deal on a Funko Pop Batgirl figure I had been looking for.

All in all, it was a great second day. Pics to come

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Glad it was a good time!

What comic did your friend create? I've been wanting to give more indies a try so if it sounds interesting I may take a look at it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I was wondering why Latour is in the creators that had the longest lines and then I remembered he created the SpiderGwen stuff which is going crazy at the moment.
I pity the guys who just wanted a sig on their Southern Bastards book.

It's nice to hear you had a great time. Would have loved to do this one. Hopefully another time!