1st Annual WinterCon

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

1st Annual WinterCon

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tomorrow.

I have work but if I get out early enough, I might go. It's being held in Queens so it'll be a very long commute.

Here is the link.

http://www.nywintercon.com/index.php/guests

Guest list is very slim but it's the first year. This con was originally scheduled for 2 days but was shortened down to one. This con is being organized by Mike Carbo who organizes the New York Comic Book Marketplace every March and allegedly Carbo's a giant asshole. He's burnt so many bridges in the Con world that he has to shorten the Con down to one day.

Also, Neal Adams's traveling gypsy wagon will be there. Does anyone want me to pass along a message?

In all seriousness, much as I don't care for Adams, I do want a sig from him; and not just any sig, it'd have to be on a book worthwhile.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

"Travelling gypsy wagon" :) That's about right.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Isn't a sig by Neal Adams $20? I can't see myself paying for a sig.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Adams signature is indeed $20.00; thats a lot for a sig which is why it'd have to be a worthwhile book.

The con itself was nothing that great. It was a good con for a first go around but the main attraction was that it featured and highlighted Cosplayers with several cosplay centric events.

There were a fair amount of dealers which was nice. But the organization was horroble. Every dealer box had a mishmash of books that were out order - which made finding books next to impossible. As a result I only got a handful of back issues.

Also, I'm past the stage where I'm going to cons to buy a ton of back issues. I'm only trying to complete a few more runs then I'm done getting back issues.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Somehow, a con that's using cosplay as its main attraction holds no appeal to me. When 75% of your guest lists are cosplayers, you don't get my vote.