NYCC goes the way of SDCC

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

NYCC goes the way of SDCC

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

NYCC finally got too big for its britches. 4-day and 3-day tickets for NYCC sold out in under 40 minutes this year in addition to site crashes which made it nearly impossible to get tickets. It was basically like trying to get tickets for SDCC.

On the one hand I was lucky enough to have gotten my tickets at Special Edition NY 2 weeks ago. And even then it was limited to 1 ticket per person, per badge. My friend wasn't so lucky so he asked me to get a ticket for him online.

The moment tickets went on sale, the site was flooded with people trying to get tickets (myself included). When I signed onto the page, the site kept crashing. Tickets went on sale at 12:00pm. After 7 minutes of failed attempts the page finally loaded correctly. At which point I was stuck in a virtual queue for an hour and 15 minutes until my turn came. When it was my turn, 4-day and 3 day passes were sold out. So I wound up getting single day tickets for Fridays and Saturday - which also increased. Single day tickets were $50 a piece.

Scalpers soon had tickets up on stubhub, ebay and other places selling them at a 400% increase (from what I'm told). Apparently it got so bad that Reed Exhibitions issued a statement more or less absolving them of any wrongdoing and stating the simple fact that tickets were dramatically more in demand this year.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That is bullshit.

No more NYCC for BX it seems.

Maybe if we do another we try Heroes Con?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I got a three day ticket.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Scalper!

Id rather do the Special Edition anyway.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I would still like to try SDCC one time and possibly another NYCC, but a different con does sound more appealing at this point. I now have friends in Chicago who went to C2E2 this year and would probably go again. I'm not saying I'd definitely go next year, but a Chicago con is a likely contender for my money in the future. A Canada one too where half my holiday would be spent on regular holiday stuff and the other on con.

NYCC still on October Wally? Did they take over the entire JJC last year?

Anyone interested in PAX?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I've done C2E2 before. It's fun, but very crowded. Didn't go this year but heard it's growing more and more. I'd like to go again but it's usually around our state testing time and taking days off is a struggle then.

I'm excited for NYCC this year, but if that special edition happens again I'd like to do that as well. No time off work and it seemed very relaxed. I'd like to go to it before it becomes too big as well.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Chicago would be one I would do as well. It would be an awesome city to visit.

I believe Heroes Con in North Carolina and Emerald City in Seattle are the two biggest "comic" comic cons.

PAX, unfortunately is not something I could see myself going to.

SDCC I would try assuming we could secure passes to it.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

I don't fancy SDCC. I can only imagine lines upon very long lines to get anything, be it sigs, sketches or goodies. Not appealing.

Don't think I'd do PAX either, that's the small press expo, right?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

PAX (Penny Arcade Expo)is a gaming convention (considered a "festival" actually).

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh. Then not at all for me.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

NYCC is still in October and at this point they rent out pretty much the entire Javitz center. Chicago is a maybe for me but SDCC, not so much. Everything about SDCC screams horrible. It's essentially NYCC but on the west coast. More or less the same creators/artists and celebs. The crowds will be as bad as or worse than NY. Same tv/movie presence etc... I can do all that at NY and not drop a chunk of change on travel. However, I would go to SDCC if others were going and obviously, if tickets didn't get sold out.

I'd like to try a con in a totally different venue. Definitely Emerald City or Heroes Con. And, hopefully not too far down the line; a Con in the UK. I would also be interested in PAX.

And if Special turns out to be the success ReedPop was making it out to be, they will probably have it again next year so Ed (and everyone else) come on down.

I'm also excited to see our little Edbert again.

XIII

Post by XIII »

SDCC probably has more creators than NYCC.
A con in the UK is something I could do more easily though not until Alice is older cause I can't see myself leaving Malorie to care for both child on her own.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I can.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm sure you can.