Special Edition NYC June 14 -15 2014

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Francesco Francavilla sketch, but that would be difficult.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

DM me the details on facebook and ill see what I can do.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

That actually looks like a really good creator's list. Hope you have fun!

XIII

Post by XIII »

It's on the same weekend as the Comic Con in Lyon. Have fun! It's nice to see them organize a con that is solely about comics.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

OMG, this makes us rivals!!!

On a related note, this move by ReedPop to hold a con on June 14th & 15th is being seen as very low and very dickish and a move to try and monopolize the con scene in NY by many retailers in NY.

The very same weekend ReedPop is holding Special Edition NYC, There is another con being held in Garden City NY called Eternal Con (about 30 minutes from Manhattan) and they have been doing their con that weekend for at least several years now and it's unstandably made the organizers of Eternal Con very angry.

Also, ReedPop was successful in preventing Wizard from holding a Con in NY by booking their Con the same month as Eternal Con.

Its unfortunate that the very thing ReedPop was bitching about years ago, when Big Apple Con wanted to hold their Con the same weekend as NYCC, ReedPop is doing to others

XIII

Post by XIII »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:OMG, this makes us rivals!!!
Not really. My con has Eduardo Russo and some other guys. Not even a proper website with a guest list. Then again, it's the first year.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Day 1 was fun and, despite being a smaller con, was exhausting. Got a ton of comics in the $1 bin.

Highlights: Kurt Busiek, Gail Simome, Mike & Laura Allred and the always fabulous Alex Maleev.

I think my wife has a crush on Alex Maleev...

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Is it the throwing things around and dismissive attitude she likes?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

No, it's his chest hair.

Details & pics will be forthcoming.

Fucking Alex Maleev and his thick lustrous grove of chest hair...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That last sentence read really wrong, just really wrong.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

But it felt right, in my heart.

Pics are up on facebook

NY Special Edition was a lot of fun. The best thing about it was the total lack of crowds. There weren't scores of people pushing you and surrounding you from all sides. There was ample room to walk, stop and browse or just stroll along at a leisurely pace. The Con was held in the North building of the Center. The only major companies that were there and sprung for booths were Marvel and Valiant.

There were a lot of indie artists as well as the major names. Usually Artist Alley is housed in the entire North building. This year the North Building was split between vendors and Artist Alley.

Sigs:

Kurt Busiek: JLA/Avengers 1,2, Iron Lantern, Conan #0, Power Company
Gail Simone: Atom #1, Witchblade/ Tomb Raider/ Vampirella, Batgirl #1, Red Sonja, Tomb Raider
Mike & Laura Allred: iZombie#1 & Variant
Sara Pichelli: I can't remember what she signed
Jerry Ordway: JLA issue with Claremont I think
Brian Wood: Star Wars
Bob Wiack: I purchased something he had on his table
Frank Cho: Liberty Meadows vol 1-4
David Marquez: Some issue of X-Men he had on his table
Jenny Frisson: Red Sonja #2
Rebekah Isaacs: Buffy #1, Angel & Faith #25
Dirk Manning: Nightmare World vol 1,2,3
Peter David: Passed
Alex Maleev: Empire of the Dead 1
Mike Mikone - Secret Society of Super Heroes
Shane Davis
Jason Latour - Southern Bastards
Amy Reeder- Batwoman
James Tynion - Batman Eteral
There were some more but I can't remember them at the moment.

The lines that were always the longest were Gail Simone, Mike & Laura Allred.

Chris Claremont now charges $5 per signature for a regular con attendee and $10 for a CGC signaure, so his line wasn't crazy long like it always is but still slow because every person he signs for spends 10 minutes discussing their view on world politics with him.

Jerry Ordway's line wasn't too long but slow because he was sketching. Also, I got 3 3 books signed by him and left 1 at his table

The Allred's line was the slowest AND the worst. I mean just terrible. They were worse than Claremont. They would start up conversations with EVERYONE who walked by despite having people waiting in line for them. The thing that really aggravated a lot of people was that after the Allred's returned from a panel, they were 40 minutes and brought a dozen attendees with them, whom they let jump to the head of the line. The Allred's were the only ones who I waited in line for. When I finally got my turn I was so angry at them but they were so nice and apologetic and just downright plesaant my anger melted away

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Sounds and looks like you had a great time!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Also, Mike was wearing a very sexy kilt and flexing his legs while he stood so how could I stay angry?

Gail Simone's line was equally long but not as distressing. She wouldnt start conversations with random people but there was one annoying moment where a bunch of cosplayers dressed as the Birds of Prey walked up to Simone's table asking for a quick photo. Simone is notorious for her love of cosplayers, so the scene quickly devolved into a fit of squealing and laughing and crying - at which point a media guy came by started snapping photos. he whole ordeal sucked a good 10 minutes out of my life. But she was really nice as well.

There were several writers there who I wanted to get sigs from but they didnt have anything for me to buy at their table: Artist from Morning Glories, writer from Great Pacific, Clay Mann, Peter David and a few others.

Don't know how familiar people are with Dirk Manning but he wrote a series of short horror stories online that were eventually collected into trade paperback by Image and Shadowline called Nightmare World and he wrote a column on Newsarama and later CBR called Write or Wrong. He was a fantastic guy. I spent a good 15 minutes chatting with him about horror comics and movies.

The Claremont line was short and a little slow. I was on line for 5 mins before my turn came but then I asked guy next to me if Claremont was charging for sigs and he said yes. So I said fuck that and got off the line. I like Claremont but not enough to dole out $5 for a sig. $2-3 sure but not 5.

Alex Maleev has no social skills. He was dressed very well on the first day of the Con. Dress pants, blazer, buttoned down shirt with the top buttons undone revealing artistic chest hair and shades perched on his head. When my wife saw his pic she thought he was actor.

I got to meet Francesco Francavella who is a great guy and presumably his wife. They were very funny and sweet.

Kurt Busiek was a nice guy if a little...weird. Busiek's answer to everyone who asked him how he was doing was always the same "I am adequete". He talked about his time in the industry but seemed very reserved.

Ordway was another nice guy and very comfortable to talk to.

Rags Morales was there but I totally forget to get him. I kept meaning to find him but kept getting sidetracked

Darwyn Cooke was supposed to be there but he cancelled. Fucking coward!

I spent a good 10 minutes talking with Rebekah Isaacs and fighting off her advances with a stake. You might think I'm embellishing but I could see in her eyes a hunger for my body. I had to politely reject her offer for matrimony but I don't think thats going to stop her.

Frank Cho was a great guy to talk to. He was speaking about his work and his love of drawing cheesecake comics. He was very upfront about drawing characters that are busty and pretty to look at.

Comics I brought!

I brought a ton of comics from the $1 bins. I stopped collecting many ongoing titles on a monthly basis so instead I buy them in bulk at Cons for 25% of the price. The last several issues of All New X-Men, X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men (Aaron run) Batwoman, All Star Western, Catwoman, Birds of Prey & Wolverine.

I'm currently trying to complete my Hellblazer run, not the entire run but the runs that are critically acclaimed: Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Paul Jenkins, & Brian Azzerallo. I've got most of them I believe. I'm probably only missing about 20 issues or so.

I've nearly completed all my runs on Wolverine; probably missing 2 issues from each volume with the exception of vol 4 I think; the Aaron run which I'm missing more on.

I'm missing 2 issues from Sandman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man.

The only pricey comic I purchased was Incredible Hulk #340; the Todd McFarlane cover that has the Hulk reflected in Wolverine's claws. I got it for $20 but the owner of the booth was kind of a dick but I ignored his attitude because the book sells more expensively online by at least $10 which does not include shipping so I picked up.

I also picked up my tickets for NYCC 2014. Anyone who purchased tickets to NYC Special Edition was eligible to purchase one ticket for NYCC. I, having purchased 2 tickets, purchased 2 tickets for NYCC. A 4 day pass for myself and a 3 pass for my brother. And surprise, surprise, ticket prices went up again. 3 Day pass is $65 and comes out to $71 after taxes. A 4 pass jumped from $95 - $105 and is $111 after taxes.

Overall the Con was fun. It was a very small very comics-centric con and the ticket prices weren't outrageous. $30 per ticket per day. They were not selling weekend passes.

I hope they do it next year.

I'm sure some more things happened that I'm not remembering but I'll post them if I remember them

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I'm currently trying to complete my Hellblazer run, not the entire run but the runs that are critically acclaimed: Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Paul Jenkins, & Brian Azzerallo. I've got most of them I believe. I'm probably only missing about 20 issues or so.
If you want, let me know what issues. I know a guy, and they're only a buck or two.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Hell yes! Btw, turns out I need 50 issues, not 20 but whatever. I'm DM you my list. Let me know what he has and how much they'll be.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I couldn't see the pics on Facebook.

Also, when Rebekah Isaacs offers you matrimony, you don't turn her away. You bend the knee and tell her you are her thing to used as she wants!! Fool!!!!!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm sure my retailer has a bunch of old Hellblazer issues, I can take a look for whatever remains after Cam helps you out.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I will investigate!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

jedispyder wrote:I'm sure my retailer has a bunch of old Hellblazer issues, I can take a look for whatever remains after Cam helps you out.
*squeeee* thanks Chris! I'll surely take you up on it