Do you double up after getting something signed?

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Stocky Boy

Do you double up after getting something signed?

Post by Stocky Boy »

When you get something signed, say for example Chew #1. Would you then go out and buy the issue again?

I guess before answering the above question, you should probably ask yourself if you are the type of person who would keep all their signed books separate from your other books?

If you do keep your signed books separate... would you buy another copy of a book to go back with the set of books it goes with? So, another Chew #1 to go with the other Chew issues in your Image long box?

Obviously, this can sometimes be much harder to do for certain books.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I don't have many signed books, and the ones I do were gifts from some wonderful friends. The ones I received as gifts were for the most part doubles of those I had, so I keep them separate, to be framed or held on shelves as a display.

Those I got signed myself I don't have doubles of, and will keep them in with the regular series. I don't want too many copies but there aren't many books I do have signed anyway, and I think in the future if I get others signed I will probably not get doubles of them, unless I had to buy a second copy to get it signed because I forgot the first or something like that.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I keep all my signed issues seperate, and I normally go out and buy another copy beforehand if I know I want to get them signed.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

I keep them separate but I don't double.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'm very tempted to start doubling up.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I don't keep them separate and I also don't double up.

Than again, I also don't bag and board.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I keep signed books with my regulars. If I get something signed I don't buy another copy of it, however, lately I've been strongly considering doubling up.

Some books you can predict will increase in price after a few months: almost any new series by BKV, Ennis, Bendis, Simone, Ellis etc... so one could go out and buy multiple copies beforehand. But some books are sleeper hits like Hawkeye in which case you'd be hard pressed to find another copy that isn't $60

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote:I don't keep them separate and I also don't double up.

Than again, I also don't bag and board.
My signed comics are the only ones that get the bagged and boarded treatment.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm fascinated by the non-bagging and boarding. I know we've had this conversation before somewhere, but I can't recall the reasoning you have behind it.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Hmmmm. Me too. Fascinated, I am...

A lot of my 90s Uncanny X.Men and other books aren't bagged and you can see what once were white pages and now cream.

Question for all of you: Does your shop sell the comics bagged and/or boarded?

My shop seems to bag everything. There might be the odd item that isn't bagged for whatever reason, but generally everything is bagged.

I've got some extra bags and some boards that I mean to get round to using. Most of my comics are at least bagged... except for the 90s stuff.

A lot of my 2000 to 2005 stuff is bagged with five/six comics in one fairly wide bag.

From a previous thread, Cam mentioned that every seven odd years you should probably re-bag and board everything. I'm definitely at that stage.

I'm wondering if Arn and Mitch don't bag and/or board because in Europe, while there is an audience for American comics, they are used to the European hard back comics and haven't really gotten into comics care.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

My shop only sells books that are very much mature reader books pre-bagged & boarded. Books like Sex or Sex Criminals, and occasionally Crossed will get bagged to prevent any kids from thumbing through them. We do bag all back issues though before they're put away.

I bag everything, and typically when I buy books I re-bag them with my own. Yes, you should ideally redo them every 5 years or so, and I really really should but the ones I would do that too aren't worth as much. I can understand not bagging most things from the 90s to now, outside of maybe signed books or books that could potentially be valuable (Hawkeye 1 for instance). I'll probably go through and re-bag my older Uncanny issues up to around issue 200 at some point.

Bags & Boards are the guaranteed comic gift I get at Christmas. It's something I'll always use but rarely want to have to buy myself, and prevents parents from buying books they think I'll like or want when I either don't want them or have them already. I usually have about 200-300 bags and boards at any given time to use.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I'm fascinated by the non-bagging and boarding. I know we've had this conversation before somewhere, but I can't recall the reasoning you have behind it.
Mostly because I read comics to read them, not really to collect them. I don't really care about the state of the book (to an extent, of course), so why should I bag and board them? They're nicely put in boxes, that's good enough for me.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I started doubling up.

Any book I want to get signed AND personalized gets a second copy