European football season 2008/2009

Throw a riot and beat each other senseless over your favorite team! New and improved!

Moderators: Sandman, IrishCream

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote: Zidane was left wing on the paper as well, but didn't act like it. The difference is that Van Persie does act like it.
He also forgot to mention that Zidane was ten times the player that Van Persie, Van something or Sneijder will ever be.

:emoteHail::emoteHail::emoteHail::emoteHail::emoteHail:

MGM

Post by MGM »

There's that as well. :D

But, it happened! Robben on left, Van Persie on 10, Kuyt on right. And a very pissed of Sneijder.

MGM

Post by MGM »

XIII

Post by XIII »

Video unavailable.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Unbelievable. I'm glancing at Holland B - Italia B and this Balotelli guy literally stomps on the knee of a Dutch player who's making a sliding. Right on the side, with no intention at all of playing the ball. And he gets a yellow.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Shiiiiiiittttt!
It's the end of an era. With 4 games left to play, Lyon is only 3rd, 7 points behind Bordeaux and Marseille. I can't believe this is happening. We're not even sure to make it to the Champions League. :(:(:(

MGM

Post by MGM »

Speaking of an end of an era: in Holland there seems to be one as well. AZ is champion, for the first time in 28 years not one of the three big names (Feyenoord, PSV, Ajax). Funnily enough it was AZ back then as well. And for the first time in over 50 years not one of the big three holds a top two spot, since that goes to Twente this year. Well deserved, too.

This makes for interesting dealings: where this year and prior to the season there was still the argument that going from Twente to Ajax was an improvement, this can't be said anymore. The 'smaller' teams hold positions 1, 2, 5 and 6. The big three have 3 (Ajax), PSV and 7 (Feyenoord). While Feyenoord can't be put in the same league as Ajax and PSV anymore, it's telling that even those two had nothing to bring this season. AZ and Twente played the best football this season, with a good selection which holds several players who can fill in for each other. There's a real vision with those teams, and ironically they make use of players that PSV and most notably Ajax had no use for.

And for the moment Feyenoord is on the 7th spot, which is good for play-off football. One point next week guarantees that, which means they'll still be in the running for (preliminary of) the Europa League. Since January, with the switch of the trainer, things have gone much better.

XIII

Post by XIII »

And Van Gaal is on his way to Bayern Munich next season it seems.

Also, my German team Vfl Wolfsburg is on its way to win its first ever Bundesliga!!! Go Wolves!!!!

MGM

Post by MGM »

I dunno about Van Gaal. Beckenbauer mentioned a list that contains both Van Gaal and Hiddink. Sorry, but you can't possibly have a list that contains those two names, they're on the opppsite sides of training methods.

As for Van Gaal, I hope he stays with AZ. With him, they've got a decent chance in the CL next year to make it through the winter. I have no idea who could follow him as a trainer with AZ.

XIII

Post by XIII »

So, Gerets has made a title contestant out of Marseille for the first time in 10 years. So what does he do? He leaves cause he can't get along with the Marseille management. Well done, Marseille...
Of course, Deschamps has already signed to replace him next season. So that's that.

Meanwhile, Paris is having its best season in 5 years, still having a good chance of getting a CL spot for next season. So of course, what do they do? They end the contract of their coach at the end of the season. Way to motivate your players to give their best in the final run.

Our league is really going down the sink... :(

MGM

Post by MGM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

XIII

Post by XIII »

INIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGM

Post by MGM »

Ha, loser Drogba. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

What a loser indeed. Now hoping Barça will kick some whiny Ronaldo's butt for the final.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Unbelievable. Feyenoord ends the competition on a 7th place, play-offs now. But they lose the last match 2-3 (and end with 9 men) to the #18, the LOWEST RANKING TEAM THERE IS.

And the things I've seen today. A red card and a penalty for NO foul. A dubious red card to say the least for, in my opinion, a non-intentional elbow. No card for an elbow and hitting another player by the same player in about 3 seconds. And the best: playing the ball with your hand and GETTING a penalty for it. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

Wolfsburg Bundesliga champion!!!!