Limit the reputation given

If it's broke, bitch about it here.

Moderator: StoneTable

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I agree. Like I said Reps are just a way to give personal kudos or disagreement to someone that not everyone else gets to see, so it shouldn't be limited at all.

I don't think I've dropped a single Red Rep since we started this board up

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Fasheem wrote:I agree with this. Like the board hasn't been reset enough in the last couple months??!

Also if everyone is reset to zero and we have the restriction that you must have 10 rep points to give rep, ah, hmmm.
Your reputation received would be reset to zero, not your reputation-giving power. Your reputation-giving power would be set at one. If you registered after the first month or so depending on how the time restriction is set, then you start off with zero reputation received. If it is before the restriction of starting off with zero, then you start off with ten points of reputation received. Most posters here would start off with ten points received.
MGM wrote:And we also have a friend feature. Joining up here is making us all friends to some extent. Don't give everything a meaning. Hell, on the temp board there was a smite option, which was visible, that was FUN. And it meant nothing.
That is not the same. The reputation system is to rate posts.
Tragic Angelus wrote:Because it's not there for us to have it mean something. We have post counts too. Let's limit those to 4 a day as well, and you can only post after three people have posted after you in a thread. That'll make posts worth more to all of us in the long run.
Actually, post-whoring has already been addressed. The reputation system is there for it to mean something. It is a way to rate posts.
Tragic Angelus wrote:Seriously, they're just points so it doesn't matter who has them or who can give them out. People give what they want when they want. If we limit reps we should then limit compliments or critiques as well since reps are basically the same thing, just much more personal.
There are no compliment or critique features here.

The reputation system can mean something if we let it. I think that by giving it meaning it can make the board more productive.

The reputation system should have restrictions in place so it does mean something. You do not have to use it, but if you do, it will mean something. The effect of placing these restrictions will be more positive than negative. Most people who have expressed their thoughts on the matter do not seem to care. Therefore, the reputation system should have imposed restrictions so it means something for those who use it.
Fasheem wrote:Since this thread is about ShadowMan, I'd like to point out that he received MANY non-rep comments and critiques before people (person?) got fed up and starting dropping rep bombs on his ass. Spamming the board with copy-and-paste threads and imbedded videos with no comments is red-rep worthy, imo.

No, I haven't given any red rep.
You are mistaken. This thread is not about me. Incidentally, When this thread was created I was neutral. CBKA gave me negative reputation for this thread with the comment "isn't it ironic?". It was him and him alone that made my reputation in the red from that point up until now.
Fasheem wrote:There is of course a neat and tidy solution to this problem. If someone is red-repping you into oblivion, go to your User CP, click on "Edit Ignore List" and add them. You will not be able to see their posts, they will not be able to respond to your threads, and they will not be able to rep you.
Again, I do not have that problem.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Um, there is a way to compliment and critique. It's by telling you in a post that I like what you said or I didnt. I can do that when I rep too.

And why the hell would we need to be more productive? This is a message board for us to have fun and hang out and talk, not make money and turn a profit and reach a social status.

Quit worrying about how the board's operating. If you wanted to do that you should have started up when we kick started this one and the arguing broke out. you're too late in my book, and reps were never a concern that we had. They were something to joke around with and have fun. You're wanting to make it more than that, and no one else does.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Um, there is a way to compliment and critique. It's by telling you in a post that I like what you said or I didnt. I can do that when I rep too.
Yes, of course, however, it is not a "feature".
Tragic Angelus wrote:And why the hell would we need to be more productive? This is a message board for us to have fun and hang out and talk, not make money and turn a profit and reach a social status.
Being productive can be fun.

Productive as in when you post helpful, funny, thought-provoking, etc., posts then you get positive reputation in which will create encouragement. If you post offensive, etc., posts you get negative reputation.
Tragic Angelus wrote:Quit worrying about how the board's operating.
This is a suggestion forum. It was created so that suggestions can be heard and discussed. Trying to silence me just because you do not agree with my suggestion is inappropriate.
Tragic Angelus wrote:If you wanted to do that you should have started up when we kick started this one and the arguing broke out. you're too late in my book, and reps were never a concern that we had. They were something to joke around with and have fun. You're wanting to make it more than that, and no one else does.
The reputation system is a new feature now available to us that I suspect many had no prior experience with. It is like a new toy that everyone is playing around with. I proposed a way that we can utilize it and have it mean something when it is in use. It is just a proposition that I threw out here to be discussed.

I hope more people weigh in on their thoughts about this as there are many more who have not done so.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Rep is a popularity contest, and a convenient way to send a private comment on a post. If you post outrageously offensive stuff and people like it, then you will get positive rep. However if you post "thoughtful" stuff that people think is retarded, you will get negative rep. Which is as it should be.

I first posted on this kind of board in 2003.
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Fasheem wrote:Rep is a popularity contest, and a convenient way to send a private comment on a post. If you post outrageously offensive stuff and people like it, then you will get positive rep. However if you post "thoughtful" stuff that people think is retarded, you will get negative rep. Which is as it should be.
By placing those restrictions it would not change that. It would, however, make it hard to try to push someone up the reputation list or pull them down.
Fasheem wrote:I first posted on this kind of board in 2003.
It was in 2005 for me.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

As for your beliefs on how we'd be productive, We're already like that. You just came late to the party and are behind. It's funny because so far, not a single person has complained about how the reputation system works, and we were all just having fun with it not caring about how many we have or give out, and you walk in trying to turn it into a check and balance system when that's not what it's meant to be at all. So far you're the only person to have a problem with how it's been operating, and this board's been going fine for a few months now without needing that changed.

Why is it you always seem to underrate the intelligence of everyone on this board? You think people can't operate or form an opinion on something until you've showed them some kind of guiding light and correct path.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

MGM wrote:Who cares about the rep's being given, really? You? Shit, the fuck do I care about rep points, I hardly even check them. But it sure as Hell doesn't bother me if people trade reps like candy.
:iagree:

The ability to give out Reps are a fun feature but hardly one you should take seriously, and yes there is some abuse of rep points being given out (too many or too little) but its all in good fun and ultimately harmless.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Tragic Angelus wrote:As for your beliefs on how we'd be productive, We're already like that. You just came late to the party and are behind.
I did not say we are not productive. I gave a suggestion on how we can be more productive.

I am not behind, nor was I late to the party. I have been around. Just because I did not post does not mean I was not here.
Tragic Angelus wrote:It's funny because so far, not a single person has complained about how the reputation system works, and we were all just having fun with it not caring about how many we have or give out,
I am just proposing that it could be improved. Sometimes people do not see there is anything wrong until someone points it out to them.
Tragic Angelus wrote:and you walk in trying to turn it into a check and balance system when that's not what it's meant to be at all.
It is "meant" to be whatever the administrator deems it to be. There is no purpose unless you give it purpose. This entire board has no purpose unless it was given one. A forum has no purpose unless it was given one. The reputation system can be turned off. Since it is on, we can give it purpose or let it mean nothing. If we let it mean nothing, then I do not see why it should be on. Of course, it could stay on without any meaning. I am just saying I think it would be better if we gave it some meaning.
Tragic Angelus wrote:So far you're the only person to have a problem with how it's been operating, and this board's been going fine for a few months now without needing that changed.
I find it interesting that for someone who feels that the reputation system means nothing is adamantly against it to mean something.
Tragic Angelus wrote:Why is it you always seem to underrate the intelligence of everyone on this board? You think people can't operate or form an opinion on something until you've showed them some kind of guiding light and correct path.
Now, why do you perceive that of me? I brought forth a proposal and I backed up my proposal. I meant no harm.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Am I the only one who found out that rep is ranked by reading this thread?

Or the only one who actually uses rep as a way to comment on a post, that doesn't deserve a new post?
Whats the big deal?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Why do I percieve that? you said people can't handle using it because they don't know what they're doing since it has no meaning.

Jesus, not everything needs meaning. We don't need to be productive. I have a life outside of a message board for productivity. This is meant for a relaxing fun enviornment, yet everytime you pull this shit it starts to lose that, especially for me. At this point, I'm doing even having these conversations with you

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

wolf_2099 wrote:Am I the only one who found out that rep is ranked by reading this thread?
No, I found that out on accident one time when i figured out how to do it by post counts.
wolf_2099 wrote: Or the only one who actually uses rep as a way to comment on a post, that doesn't deserve a new post?
Whats the big deal?

No, that's exactly what I use it for, in place of just posting 'LOL' or 'i totally agree' I just rep something. He's trying to make it mean more than that and rank people in an actual meaningful manner because he thinks the ranking should be important.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Why do I percieve that? you said people can't handle using it because they don't know what they're doing since it has no meaning.
That is not what I said. You are going to have to quote me if you really believe that.
Tragic Angelus wrote:Jesus, not everything needs meaning.
I never said everything needs to have meaning. You are exaggerating.
Tragic Angelus wrote:We don't need to be productive.
You are right. But the board having the vulgar jokes toned down was being productive. That was desired, not needed.
Tragic Angelus wrote:I have a life outside of a message board for productivity. This is meant for a relaxing fun enviornment, yet everytime you pull this shit it starts to lose that, especially for me. At this point, I'm doing even having these conversations with you
You are being melodramatic. Those restrictions would make the reputation system more useful. It would not make the board having a less relaxing or fun environment.
Tragic Angelus wrote:No, that's exactly what I use it for, in place of just posting 'LOL' or 'i totally agree' I just rep something. He's trying to make it mean more than that and rank people in an actual meaningful manner because he thinks the ranking should be important.
Those restrictions would not change that at all. Personally, I would use it more seriously as I have at the other board as others there use it that way as well. The restrictions I mentioned will not force you to use the reputation more seriously. What it would do is make you spread more reputation around (five different people) before giving it to the same person again. By doing this, it will help impede just trying to push someone up the list or pull them down. It will also encourage, not force, posters to give reputation to posts that deem it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I shouldn't have to spread it around. Funny enough, this board doesn't run the same way that your other boards do. You should be used to that by now.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

jedispyder wrote:I'm guessing because of that post, ShadowMan instead of getting good reps is now getting bad reps? Cause he's all red and we're all green, so....SM probably wishes he didn't create the thread now, lol...
nowwho would do something like that:p
:chewie:

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

ShadowMan wrote:Also, there is nothing stop someone to constantly give out negative reputation points as well.
Oh man, twice in the same thread, im just too sick:razz:

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

ShadowMan wrote:You are mistaken. This thread is not about me. Incidentally, When this thread was created I was neutral. CBKA gave me negative reputation for this thread with the comment "isn't it ironic?". It was him and him alone that made my reputation in the red from that point up until now.
:smilielol5:

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

ShadowMan wrote:I did not we are not productive. I gave a suggestion on how we can be more productive.

I am not behind, nor was I late to the party. I have been around. Just because I did not post does not mean I was not here.

I am just proposing that it could be improved. Sometimes people do not see there is anything wrong until someone points it out to them.

It is "meant" to be whatever the administrator deems it to be. There is no purpose unless you give it purpose. This entire board has no purpose unless it was given one. A forum has no purpose unless it was given one. The reputation system can be turned off. Since it is on, we can give it purpose or let it mean nothing. If we let it mean nothing, then I do not see why it should be on. Of course, it could stay on without any meaning. I am just saying I think it would be better if we gave it some meaning.

I find it interesting that for someone who feels that the reputation system means nothing is adamantly against it to mean something.

Now, why do you perceive that of me? I brought forth a proposal and I backed up my proposal. I meant no harm.
Shit man,why must everything be a debate?

relax and post some dick jokes you'll feel better for it.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

If you limit reputation giving power by amount of reputation wouldn't the people repping each other consistently keep doing so meaning they are the only ones with this ability?

This wouldjust create a massive gap meaning me, you and probably tragic (sorry man but yousuck :)) would be lonely at the bottom.

and i hate being at the bottom as much as i hate tragic (sorry again man, butyou still do suck)