Limit the reputation given

If it's broke, bitch about it here.

Moderator: StoneTable

ShadowMan

Limit the reputation given

Post by ShadowMan »

There should be a limit for reputation given because of the potential for abuse. I propose that each poster must give reputation to five different posters before given more reputation to the same person again. Also, there should be limit of twenty times per twenty-four hour period a poster may give reputation.

By placing these restrictions, it will help impede any poster who may have a personal vendetta against another poster in which he would like to give as much negative reputation as possible.

Also, it will encourage posters to give reputation to posts that are actually worthy of it. Right now we have the “if you rep me then I will rep you" and "let us see how high we can make ourselvesâ€￾ mentality which makes the reputation system a joke. We should utilize the reputation system so it means something.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yeah, don't think so. You're trying to use logic here, lol. We don't run on logic, you should have learned that long time ago ;)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

We don't actually have rep numbers, like so many other boards.

Just green, rep and grey. Pretty much everyone will end up green so I don't see the harm.

If it was a numbered system however, I'd think differently.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Rep was out of control on a board I post on so they imposed restrictions similar to those. Guess what - it was still out of control. Half the posters on the board currently have "maximum rep" which is a full set of green and yellow bars, and 14 stars.

I have 272912 rep points on that board. (A full bar and 10 stars.)
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

even if people are limited to reps per day, you would still be derepped 20 times per person per day. It soon adds up:rotate:
:chewie:

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Limiting reps is dumb. Then I wouldn't be pushing Fash all the way to the top and she wouldn't be repping me for my witty jokes.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm guessing because of that post, ShadowMan instead of getting good reps is now getting bad reps? Cause he's all red and we're all green, so....SM probably wishes he didn't create the thread now, lol...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I haven't repped him, or anyone, negatively.. he's the only one who can see that

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

wolf_2099 wrote:We don't actually have rep numbers, like so many other boards.

Just green, rep and grey. Pretty much everyone will end up green so I don't see the harm.

If it was a numbered system however, I'd think differently.
We do have rep numbers, but only you can see them. However, everyone is ranked according to their reputation received and that can be seen in the "Members List". After you are in the list just click on "Reputation" and it will show the highest positive reputation received poster down to the lowest.
Fasheem wrote:Rep was out of control on a board I post on so they imposed restrictions similar to those. Guess what - it was still out of control. Half the posters on the board currently have "maximum rep" which is a full set of green and yellow bars, and 14 stars.

I have 272912 rep points on that board. (A full bar and 10 stars.)
That could of been a problem to impose restrictions after everyone is already high. On the board that I have posted on those exact restrictions that I have mentioned were in place and the reputation system was in control. However, there are more regulations that could be done.

At that same board, they also have a way for one to gain more reputation-giving power. Here is what they do, everyone starts off with one point of reputation-giving power, but a poster needs to have at least one-hundred posts and at least ten reputation points received before his ratings will count towards another poster's reputation. To gain more reputation-giving power, for each one-thousand posts, three-hundred and sixty-five days of registration, or one-hundred points of reputation received, a poster is given one more reputation-giving point. So for instance, if you have three-thousand posts, have been registered for two years, and have four-hundred reputation points received, you would have ten points of reputation-giving power. One point you started off with, three points for three-thousand posts, two points for having been registered for two years, and four points for having four-hundred reputation points. Of course, receiving negative reputation will subtract your reputation points in which will subtract from your reputation-giving power.

If the restrictions are in place from the OP coupled with the aforementioned additional restrictions, I think this will work since it already has at the other board.

After implementing these restrictions, I think it would be fair to reset everyone's reputation to zero and have everyone start off with one point of reputation-giving power who registered after the first month (it could three months or so) of the board's creation. Everyone who registered within the the first month or so would start of with ten points of reputation.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I don't think that'd be fair to anyone at all, and I'm sure most everyone else agrees.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Dude, why on Earth would you want this? You could've joined up earlier and gained rep points like the rest of us. Sheesh.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I don't think that'd be fair to anyone at all, and I'm sure most everyone else agrees.
What would not be fair? The restrictions or having the reputation board-wide to zero? I suggest having the reputation reset to zero if the restrictions are in place because then it would not be fair to other posters who did not get to benefit from the free for all. It may seem unfair only because you would have to really earn them after the restrictions are in place.
MGM wrote:Dude, why on Earth would you want this? You could've joined up earlier and gained rep points like the rest of us. Sheesh.
This is not about me receiving reputation. I do not really expect to compete with anyone's reputation here. Right now it is a free for all, and people are giving out reputation points like candy. Also, there is nothing stop someone to constantly give out negative reputation points as well.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Who cares about the rep's being given, really? You? Shit, the fuck do I care about rep points, I hardly even check them. But it sure as Hell doesn't bother me if people trade reps like candy.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

MGM wrote:Who cares about the rep's being given, really? You? Shit, the fuck do I care about rep points, I hardly even check them. But it sure as Hell doesn't bother me if people trade reps like candy.
We have a reputation system here. It is a nice feature. Why not let it mean something?

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I don't think that'd be fair to anyone at all, and I'm sure most everyone else agrees.
I agree with this. Like the board hasn't been reset enough in the last couple months??!

Also if everyone is reset to zero and we have the restriction that you must have 10 rep points to give rep, ah, hmmm.
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

MGM

Post by MGM »

And we also have a friend feature. Joining up here is making us all friends to some extent. Don't give everything a meaning. Hell, on the temp board there was a smite option, which was visible, that was FUN. And it meant nothing.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Fasheem wrote:Also if everyone is reset to zero and we have the restriction that you must have 10 rep points to give rep, ah, hmmm.
HA! :smilielol5:

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Because it's not there for us to have it mean something. We have post counts too. Let's limit those to 4 a day as well, and you can only post after three people have posted after you in a thread. That'll make posts worth more to all of us in the long run.

Seriously, they're just points so it doesn't matter who has them or who can give them out. People give what they want when they want. If we limit reps we should then limit compliments or critiques as well since reps are basically the same thing, just much more personal.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Tragic Angelus wrote: Seriously, they're just points so it doesn't matter who has them or who can give them out. People give what they want when they want. If we limit reps we should then limit compliments or critiques as well since reps are basically the same thing, just much more personal.
Since this thread is about ShadowMan, I'd like to point out that he received MANY non-rep comments and critiques before people (person?) got fed up and starting dropping rep bombs on his ass. Spamming the board with copy-and-paste threads and imbedded videos with no comments is red-rep worthy, imo.

No, I haven't given any red rep.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

There is of course a neat and tidy solution to this problem. If someone is red-repping you into oblivion, go to your User CP, click on "Edit Ignore List" and add them. You will not be able to see their posts, they will not be able to respond to your threads, and they will not be able to rep you.