The Wallstreet Book Review vol. III

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

MGM wrote:Glad you liked it! Now, don't you think, in hindsight, that this was a bit premature? After all, the book gets WAY better past chapter 7. :D
:disappointed:

Yes'm...

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

An update on The Stand by Stephen King:

I had to return it before I finished reading it, and I was unable to renew due to it being on hold for other people. So after I returned it, I requested it again. Hopefully I’ll get it soon and can finish it off. I got up to page 955 (or thereabouts), Harold and Nadine fled the Zone after blowing up Nick’s house during a meeting, killing him and several others. The Judge who had been on his way to Nevada to try and infiltrate the city was killed before reaching there and Dayna, who had already been living in Nevada for several days was caught. I don’t know her fate yet.

Granny Freemantle returned to the Free Zone, just about ready to die, and told the select few members what they needed to do. Ralph, Stu, & Stu’s friend (whose name I can’t remember were to go to Nevada and “Make their Stand”. Frannie was to stay behind for an unspecified reason. Good stuff.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

While waiting for my library to get The Stand in again so I can finish it, I've been reading HALO: The Cole Protocol. Its the sixth novel based off the video game series and it's a quick read, only a few hundred pages and a nice way to kill some time between books. I'm just about halfway through it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm reading Shutter Island. It's pretty good.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Shutter Island is indeed a great book by Dennis Lehane. If you like it, I can reccomend a few others. He writes great noir

MGM

Post by MGM »

Dude, the new Zafón is out coming Thursday. Not a sequal to his first book, though. But apparently something in the same vein.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Updates:

I'm still waiting for Magician and The Stand to arrive. There are both on "Very Long Wait"

To kill time until they arrive, I read The Prometheus Deception by Ludlum; a mostly generic but enjoyable spy novel and I've discovered an exciting new author who writes some great noir: George P. Pelecanos. I've only read one novel by him so far: Right as Rain, and I'm currently reading another novel by him called Shoedog.

From what I've gleaned so far, his protagonists vary from novel to novel; he writes both white and black characters with amazing insight and realism. There isn't a whole lot of humor in his books but that's okay. I don't need it in every book I read (but it certainley would have been added plus). most of his stories take place within Washington, D.C., which is a great backdrop that allows him to tackle social, cultural and economic issues.

I'm only on his second novel and I'm already a huge fan. I would highly reccomend his work to anyone to who liked noir.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Pelecanos was a writer on The Wire.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So Mitch,

Magician by Ray Feist is not available at any library in NY. Instead here are a list of books by Raymond Feist that are available:

Wrath of a Mad God
Talon of the Silver Hawk
Silverthorn
Shards of a Broken Crown
Shadow of a Dark Queen
Rage of a Demon King
Rise of a Merchant Prince
A Darkness at Sethanon
Flight of the Nighthawks
Into a Dark Realm
Daughter of the Empire
Rides a Dead Legion
Exile's Return
Faerie Tale
Honored Enemy
Jimmy The Hand
King of Foxes

And some others. Would you reccomend any from this list, given that that the one you originally reccomended is not available?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Updates:

I'm still waiting for Magician and The Stand to arrive. There are both on "Very Long Wait"

I can keep my eye out for Magician if you want, I see it frequently in used book stores here.

It was republished here as"
1. Magician: Apprentice (1986)
2. Magician: Master (1986)
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:So Mitch,

Magician by Ray Feist is not available at any library in NY. Instead here are a list of books by Raymond Feist that are available:

Wrath of a Mad God
Talon of the Silver Hawk
Silverthorn
Shards of a Broken Crown
Shadow of a Dark Queen
Rage of a Demon King
Rise of a Merchant Prince
A Darkness at Sethanon
Flight of the Nighthawks
Into a Dark Realm
Daughter of the Empire
Rides a Dead Legion
Exile's Return
Faerie Tale
Honored Enemy
Jimmy The Hand
King of Foxes

And some others. Would you reccomend any from this list, given that that the one you originally reccomended is not available?
I'm not familiar with his entire work, but a lot of the titles I see there are follow-ups to Magician. And sadly enough, that first book outshines them all.

Wulf's idea seems quite reasonable, though. If nothing else works out, NYCC 2010 will get you a copy, 'cause I'll make it my mission by then to get you one.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:I can keep my eye out for Magician if you want, I see it frequently in used book stores here.

It was republished here as"
1. Magician: Apprentice (1986)
2. Magician: Master (1986)
Thank you kindly, I would very much appreciate it.
MGM wrote:I'm not familiar with his entire work, but a lot of the titles I see there are follow-ups to Magician. And sadly enough, that first book outshines them all.
In that case, I'll hold off on getting the ones listed above.

In the interim, do you have any other books you'd care to to reccomend? And that goes for everyone, I am open to suggestions if anyone has read something they care to pass along
Wulf's idea seems quite reasonable, though. If nothing else works out, NYCC 2010 will get you a copy, 'cause I'll make it my mission by then to get you one.
Your enthusiasm has given me an erection.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I've always loved Wilbur Smith's Courtney books. The first trilogy starts with When the lion feeds.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'll put those on my list ASAP. Here's hoping they're at least available.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

When The Lion Feeds is on long wait but thats okay with me. I had a few other books on the backburner that I wanted to get into.

I picked up Shattered and Twisted by Jay Bonansinga a few weeks ago. They showed promise but wound up being average at best.

The Deluge by Mark Morris was a balls to the walls amazing story. It was a post-apocalytpic horror story about what happens to the world when the ocean levels mysteriously and abruptly rise far beyond ground level, killing 99.9% of the population within minutes. I shall try to make time to write a detailed review later but this was one of those books that I simply couldn't put down (and I don't get them often).

On another note, Wulf, I recieved a package from you early this morning. I didn't have time to open it but I assume it contains the Magician. I look forward to reading it. And once again, thanks for taking the time out find and send it to me.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It is either the Magician, or the mail bomb I sent to Arn. I might have gotten the packages switched.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh ok, I was wondering what that fucking book was. :D

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

How was Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill? I've thought about snagging it but haven't heard much about it.:disappointed:
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Heart Shaped Box was an okay read; average Ghost story so nothing too special. It had a strong begining but slowly became meh. There were some well written flashback scenes and it made interesting use of animals, specifically dogs. Still, worth a read if you're looking for a decent enough horror story.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm trying to wrap up a book I'm reading now so I can get to Magician. I'm hoping to start it some time this weekend. Only reason I didn't start reading the Magician books immediately was because work got crazy around the holidays and is only slowing down now. And the book I'm reading now, I've been waiting forever to get from the library.