Favourite Anime Ever!

Where otaku get their groove on.

Moderators: The French Biscuit, Tyran-ne

Stocky Boy

Favourite Anime Ever!

Post by Stocky Boy »

Obviously, there's no such thing as 'ever', it's always going to be some revolving list of 10-20 with new entries popping up as and when, but....

My Neighbour Totoro is topping my list right this very instant!

Simple premise, great characterisation of the little girls and simply a lovely little journey with the extroardinarily fantastic supernatural. Kid stuff that doesn't seem as hokey as western products.

Spirited Away was another gem. Both good old Studio Ghibli!

Favourite series is a toss up between, Ranma 1/2, Dragonball, Tenchi Muyo OAV, Giant Robo OAV and the more recent One Piece.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Stocky Boy wrote: My Neighbour Totoro is topping my list right this very instant!
Ugh! I've never seen this movie past the first half-hour.
Every time I get a chance to see it, something always interrupts my viewing. :bigcry:

I love the animation in this movie and the way they captured the feel and unique spirit of youth. ^_^

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

I know it isn't anything unique, but:

Castle of Cagliostro :cheesy:
Go Lupin III!

The car chase, the pit-trap scene, the roof scene, the final fight scene...
...so much awesome! So many things ripped off from this movie by other directors and writers. >_<

I don't really do fan art but I may do some of Castle...

IrishCream

Post by IrishCream »

Evangelion would probably top the list if it wasn't for its 80 shitty endings. Escaflowne is up there, as is Trigun, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Ruroni Kenshin.

But in terms of sheer nostalgic enjoyment and obsession when I was a teen? I'd have to say Dragonball Z. But damn if Kenshin isn't a close 2nd.
YA BETTA ASK SOMEBODDDAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Naruto (Shippuden) - Despite it's fondness of having filler episodes between arcs, Naruto has top notch animation and it's fighting scenes are usually gawgeous. It's what got me dedicated to enjoying anime.

One Piece - Pirates and nakamas. Although the art isn't jaw-dropping like most animes, it IS getting better as the series progresses (or I'm just getting used to it) and the characters are just awesome.

Samurai Champloo - It's got hell of a style, and Mugen is fucking awesome. The way it infuses hip-hop into it is just hot tits.

Spirited Away - I could watch this movie every day and not got bored.

Princess Mononoke - Come on, I have a tree spirit tattoo!

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

You have a tree spirit tattoo? :D

Let's see it!

Spirited Away is just... gorgeous!

I've never seen Evangelion, Escaflowne or Cowboy Bebop. I understand these got really big in the States. I have however seen a lot of Gundam Wing and really liked it. My favourite Gundam was always the Death Scythe. :D

Castle of Cagliostro is awesomeness. It's one of many films I'd like to find the time to watch again.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sailor Moon.

It's also the only Anime I've ever seen. :D

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

What I remember most about that series was how Sailer Moon would get into a mess during a fight and this man would turn up and enable her to use how special move to win the day. This, rinse and repeat formula firmly highlighted a believe for impressionable little girls who watched the show, i.e. don't worry, a man will always be there to help you out. :D

Lol!

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Sailor Moon.

It's also the only Anime I've ever seen. :D
Lucky. I've watched some Aza Munga Diaoh (sp?, lol) with Sarah and it was hard to do. I remember there being a hyper active character with a screechy voice and another character that kept dying briefly. Huh? The episode I recall the most had a guitar player... there was a scene with his suggestive silhouette, Screechy was freaking out, Dead was, well, dead.

(But even though I can't spell the name of the Anime, it is fun to say.)
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Ah Sailormoon!

The only anime that I could watch on regular TV.

It turned into a guilty pleasure of mine when I wuz a teenager.

It is ridiculous how much they cut out and shamelessly edited for the North American networks.

Poor Zoicite. They gave the character a female english voice actor and called him a woman instead of what he was. A very gay, male villain.

And Sailor Uranus and Neptune...they called them "cousins" in North America which made me very creeped out and confused as a kid, 'cuz it was clear, even to me as a child, that they were CLEARLY a lesbian couple. That "cousin" bs they threw in made it just wrong.:lipsrsealed2:

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

ChimeraCreative wrote:Lucky. I've watched some Aza Munga Diaoh (sp?, lol) with Sarah and it was hard to do. I remember there being a hyper active character with a screechy voice and another character that kept dying briefly. Huh? The episode I recall the most had a guitar player... there was a scene with his suggestive silhouette, Screechy was freaking out, Dead was, well, dead.

(But even though I can't spell the name of the Anime, it is fun to say.)
Um A, you've never seen Azumanga Diaoh...
THIS is Azumanga Diaoh:
A cute, spunky, sometimes incomprehensible anime and manga.

You're describing the crazy, obscure, and not-for-hardcore-anime-fans-let-alone-for-newbies Excel Saga!
It took about three episodes for me to stop detesting Excel Saga and actually enjoy the complete insanity. :smilielol5:

ChimeraCreative

Then why do I still scream Aza Munga Diaoh when I'm throwing a cat? ^_^ (yes, I do a lot of cat throwing at my house, what of it?)

Okay, yeah, that was Excel Saga I watched with you and John. My bad. But at least I'm trying! ^_^

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

ChimeraCreative wrote:Then why do I still scream Aza Munga Diaoh when I'm throwing a cat? ^_^ (yes, I do a lot of cat throwing at my house, what of it?)

Okay, yeah, that was Excel Saga I watched with you and John. My bad. But at least I'm trying! ^_^
I know, and I give you total credit. ^_^

And I used to say Azumanga Diaoh randomly...it's just fun tah say. :laugh4:

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:What I remember most about that series was how Sailer Moon would get into a mess during a fight and this man would turn up and enable her to use how special move to win the day. This, rinse and repeat formula firmly highlighted a believe for impressionable little girls who watched the show, i.e. don't worry, a man will always be there to help you out. :D

Lol!
Ahh yes this guy:

Tuxedo Mask

Though to be fair, the vast majority of shows back then (children & adult shows) depicted women as constantly needing saving and generally being incompetent. Sailor Moon was hardly the worst offender but still pretty bad.

However, after getting her ass saved a number of times by TM she was able to grow up and mature and turn into a hero and leader. Not that, that justifes her incompetent depiction. Just saying...

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Mr Wallstreet wrote: Though to be fair, the vast majority of shows back then (children & adult shows) depicted women as constantly needing saving and generally being incompetent. Sailor Moon was hardly the worst offender but still pretty bad.

However, after getting her ass saved a number of times by TM she was able to grow up and mature and turn into a hero and leader. Not that, that justifes her incompetent depiction. Just saying...
I found that Sailor Moon, though repetitive, was quite refreshing.
The great and celebrated hero was a simple-minded clutzy blonde.
They really were the adventures of a different kind of hero.

ChimeraCreative

True, I do respect that they gave us a heavily flawed character instead of the boring ultimate leader. The fact that Sailor Moon was a mess doesn't make Tuxedo Mask's constant and necessary intervention all that bad. And to be fair, one of the Sailor's was a pretty smart chick, Mercury I believe.

The little pink haired kid can kiss my ass. What an annoying brat. Not that I watched often. ^_^

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

ChimeraCreative wrote: The little pink haired kid can kiss my ass. What an annoying brat. Not that I watched often. ^_^
It only takes viewing ONE episode to get a good hate on towards Chibi Moon. :badmood:

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Stocky Boy wrote:You have a tree spirit tattoo? :D

Let's see it!

It's on my right leg, above the ankle. It actually has a pastel-painting-like background now, though I've yet to take the updated picture. I probably should at some point!:dozey:

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

I have a webcam in my laptop, christ I'm dumb!

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

It's kind of shitty quality but that's it in a nutshell. I just noticed the ink missing from the right eye, interesting... My widdle kodama is farring apalt.

And to bring this back on topic, my roomate swear by Guren Lagen.