Today I got: Comics thread!

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

wolf_2099

Re: Today I got: Comics thread!

Post by wolf_2099 »

What issues are you still missing?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Mostly the 1-20ish run. I have a few in between there. I know I have everything from 30-51, and I think 60-75 now. Other than GS I have everything from like 86-current. I'm down to maybe 6 reprints, Giant Size, and most of the first 20 some issues. I just haven't spent time looking for them lately. Been trying to get out of student loans and everything else rather than buying back issues. But saw enough around me today that it was worth it.

I tend to buy "reader copies" of most. Like the 30 I got was in rough shape and only cost me $12. I'm not looking for nice clean copies of the books. I don't want anything missing covers or pages but I'm okay if they're in some rough shape. I think my copy of 2 is about to lose it's cover so I just decided to not take it out of the bag and board unless I needed to. I'll get nice copies of certain books, like key firsts, and eventually I'll get nice copies of 1, 4, and GS but others I'm not worried about.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The reprints were rough for me, hard to justify the cash. Which is also why I went for readers. They are also never all that hard to find, so there was never a rush to get them, you can always find a bunch at any show, or online, so they were always purchased if I had leftover, or extra cash.
The 1 I got is good, the 4 is rough, but it was included with the 1.

The nicer copies just get so astronomically expensive.

Have you accidentally gotten duplicates? I started so young, and without keeping good lists I ended up with a bunch of doubles.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I have been given duplicates or had some put on hold at my LCS by the owner since he knows I am after them but I don't think I've bought duplicates. When I first really got going, the reprints were throwing me off because I had so few books between 1-100 that I had more covers memorized than I did numbers, so I had to recall if I had the original or the reprint. Usually the money was enough to steer me away from buying something if I wasn't sure. Eventually I put a list together about 6 years ago when I got serious about buying every issue since I was out of college and working full time. I got a business card from a comic shop that one the back had a 10x10 table with numbers 1-100 in the boxes and a space for you to write a title. Basically, it's a wallet sized checklist and I've used that. I also keep a digital list on my phone, and then a spreadsheet on my computer at home. So I've done my best to basically triple check my list and make sure it's always up to date so I don't get duplicates.

Most copies of reprints I come across range from $10-30. I don't think I've ever found any over that. So once I got organized, I didn't was fine with picking those up whenever I could. My main rule for myself is to never buy one online. For me, doing that makes it too easy. I enjoy going through the back issues and going to different shows to track down books. Occasionally I'll have a goal at a show, like buy the first appearance of a certain character or get a specific issue before I buy anything else that's available. But I think I have all of the first except for 1, 3, 4, 12, 14 and 19. Now it's just more if I have enough cash, I'll buy as many as possible to shrink my list.

Eventually when I'm down to 1, 4, and GS I'll be setting money aside to get that a show, and that'll probably be all I get at any show for some time. With 1, I may still buy the most affordable copy I can find. The downside to putting them off is that the prices will just keep going up.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Nobody is buying comics anymore ?

XIII

Re:

Post by XIII »

XIII wrote:Got today, two more books from my ongoing Amazon order :

Skaar: Son of Hulk, TPB volume 1
Tom Strong : Deluxe Edition volume 1
I've never read them. I may even have sold Skaar back.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I am I got a few ones last week I'll post later today!

I did get a few runs over the last couple months.

New 52 Grayson
Loki Agent of Asgard
Deathstroke Rebirth up to 24
Gwenpool

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Everyone stopped posting stuff so I did too. I've bought a lot lately:

Champions Vol 1, 2,
Champions/Avengers: Worlds Collide
Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer Vol 1-3
Secret Avengers by Ales Kot Vol 1-3
Hawkeye: Avenging Archer TPB
Uncanny X-Men #8
Alpha Flight vol 1 #1-130

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qu7e8ZcZTJUwKH4t9

An old pre-DC plastic man from the 1950's. Canadian edition apparently it it wasn't in the overstreet price guide. My back issue guy checked with Doug Sulipa and figures maybe 50-100 copies of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3U9pYqv89rGTWKeA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o4HsGjgx8BdPjc6V7

Two underground comics with stories by Geroge DiCaprio in them, Leonardo's dad.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Marvel Monster Omnibus Vol. 1

For whatever reason, BooksaMillion had this on sale for $24. So I got a $100 omnibus for $24. It's not damaged, it's not missing anything. They had 3 copies all at that price all in great shape. I decided not to question why and jump on this.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Absolutely.
What are the comics in it? Tales of Suspense, Astonish etc?
That would be a good one.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, it's old Tales to Astonishing, Tales of Suspense, Weird Tales, and things like that featuring old Kirby monsters like Orrgo, Groot, Fin Fang Foom, and the like. There are two volumes collecting most of the old monsters, and I've watched online to see if ordering them would be worth it. Usually I can catch both for around $60-70 each, so finding one like that was worth it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Uncanny X-Men 52, 84 (I now have 30-72 and am under 30 issues including Giant Size to get)
Fatale vols 1-5 ($1 a piece for 4 volumes. Had to go get vol. 2 at my shop for full price so whole thing for under $20)
New Mutants vol 3 #1-5
X-Infernus 1-4
Titans vol 1 #1-29, 31-35, 37-39 (just need about 12 issues for this whole run from the late 90's just before the Johns relaunch)
Alpha Flight vol 2 4-7 to finish off that run as well.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Generation X 1-33

Never read it before, but I've always loved Bachelo so figured the time was right to pick up a chunk of the run and see how it was. Enjoyable so far.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I just got avengers no surrender and Loki agent of shield.

Anyone read them?
Also started living together Ellis x-man, xforce and storm runs.

I read gen x year ago, Ed, I remember liking it but not sure how it may have aged

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

No Surrender was a lot of fun. Big high stakes story that you'd expect from an Avengers book. It brought me back into reading the title since it did away with all of the various teams and united them.

It holds up well for me so far. I started reading in 1998, and this all really evokes that era. It's a big nostalgia read for me so far and I'm enjoying it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I have very fond memories of Generation X. I'll need to re-read it.

Haven't read No Surrender but on the French forum, it's been destroyed by the people who read it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

TPB of Sub-Mariner: The Depths.
I've read good things about this and I ran into it at the Con yesterday.

Also, I've never read Gen X and all those books. I plan to read them duing the holiday season, though.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Never read the original Generation X? I'm surprised.

MGM

Post by MGM »

No, that all came out just before I really started reading comics. But that's why I'm getting up to speed with it. I'm planning to catch up on the classic X-Factor and New Mutants as well.