Rogue & Gambit

Spidey, Wolvie, X-men, Captain America, The Hulk, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Moderator: XIII

MGM

Rogue & Gambit

Post by MGM »

So I got the TPB.

As a fan of both characters, I never bothered to grab the single issues. Truth be told: I figured it'd not be worth it. Both characters have had dreadful mini's and they by now only seem to be defined by their past and the cannot-ever-be-together-again relationship. Then I read reviews that were not just good, but raving. So I got the TPB.

It's simple: Thompson obviously is a shipper. And of course, to me that's kinda like preaching to the choir. In five issues she managed to unclutter all the trouble that was their relationship and get them past their issues. The story is fairly simple: the X-Men need someone, preferably a couple with a past, to investigate the disappearance of some mutants in a couples-retreat. As leader Kitty gets to decide it's not her and Colossus going, but Rogue and Gambit. What follows is basically a story which mainly hinges on some of their biggest moments and fun writing. Sure, the story is just a plot device to reestablish their relationship. And yes, five issues is an issue too long, but it never feels to forced or decompressed (mainly because every so often there's a memory again). In the end, their relationship basically is completely salvaged. As a fan, I couldn't wish for more, because the negative vibe is completely gone (also see: Mr & Mrs X).

Oh yeah, the art: solid work from Perez, it's really nice to look at. And Rogue and Gambit literally fighting past versions of themselves is fun (also, the fight is actually decently choregraphed).

I recommend a buy, or at least a read. And replies, so we can discuss comics a bit more. :D

Tragic Angelus

Re: Rogue & Gambit

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I bought the first issue when it dropped since I had a light week then. Enjoyed it far more than I expected, as you said. Didn't think it would be something I wanted to read, but it was just a fun book. Thompson dove deep into their history and I enjoyed that. Mr. & Mrs. X is fantastic too, and it's something that I wouldn't have read at all if I hadn't liked the mini.

MGM

Post by MGM »

So far I think the mini was better, but there's still time. And I wish they'd kept the artist.

Also, this mini was actually rather important. Without reading this, the wedding completely comes out of the blue.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, it sets the groundwork for the wedding. I like the art on the ongoing better myself, and the returning characters have been fun there. Glad to see Thompson is placed on Uncanny after these.

MGM

Post by MGM »

She is? Oh, that sounds interesting. I actually might get Uncanny because of that.
Her West Coast Avengers (and Jessice Jones) are quite good as well. Well, one issue in, but still.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I was tempted to do WCA because of her. I'm definitely picking up the JJ in trade when that gets released later this year.

Yeah, it's her Brisson, and Rosenberg all co-writing the book. Really looking forward to it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I haven't read anything from Brisson or Rosenberg. They any good?

WCA is really good, but it also has quite a few characters I really like (the cool Hawkeye - Kate-, Miss America and Kid Omega).
I'm kind annoyed that JJ is digital only. That doesn't really entice me to get the comic.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Rosenberg's Astonishing is wonderful. That and X-Men Red are the two best X-Men books out there right now. All I know of Brisson is his two issues of Extermination so far, and I'm enjoying it. But I've not read much more of him outside of that.

I like Kate, but that's the only character outside of Clint that I really know or like on that team. Not the biggest Kid Omega fan and I missed the run of Young Avengers where Miss America joined up so I'm not really familiar with her. But if the mini ends up being popular enough, I can see her getting another mini or an ongoing with some of those characters.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Oh, you should get that YA run.
Also, WCA is supposed to be an ongoing, ricght?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I was under the impression it was a mini. Honestly, I take everything from Marvel as a mini anymore since the last from 8-12 issues before getting relaunched.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:I haven't read anything from Brisson or Rosenberg. They any good?

WCA is really good, but it also has quite a few characters I really like (the cool Hawkeye - Kate-, Miss America and Kid Omega).
I'm kind annoyed that JJ is digital only. That doesn't really entice me to get the comic.

Brisson and Rosenburg are fantastic.
Unfortuantly, they have been pumping out so much for marvel I feel there are a couple books you can tell are for the paycheck.

Rosenburg Punisher? Awesome
Rosenburg Secret Warrior? Yikes

Birsson OML I have loved. Iron Fist I have not.
Brisson Image series "The Violent" was great, and he is Canadian to boot.

MGM

Post by MGM »

OML?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Oh, Old Man Logan.
Yeah, I was not so enthralled by that.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Most weren't by Logan, and Iron Fist seemed to be really well regarded. I was backwards from most it seems,

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I really liked Rosenberg's Tales to Astonish too. I haven't read his New Mutants or Madrox minis, but I've read some pretty great reviews of them.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

https://www.breakthefourth.com/2018/09/ ... r-mrs-x-3/

There’s my review for the newest issue of Mr. & Mrs. X #3 too. Just went up. Such a fun book.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yeah, I'm not readign that. I'll wait 'till I get my copy. ;)

XIII

Post by XIII »

Have lost almost all interest in the X-MEN but Extermination 1 was ok so I might give the relaunch of Uncanny a try.
And I really enjoyed Brisson's work at Image and Boom so him on X-Force is almost tempting enough to buy proper issues, not digital. I'm just sad Sunspot don't seem to be around.