Stockwell's Manor

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

MGM

Post by MGM »

I got me an Alan Moore sig! Awesome. :D

Again: many thanks!

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

MGM wrote:I got me an Alan Moore sig! Awesome. :D

Again: many thanks!
It's turned up? Sweet!

XIII

Post by XIII »

It's here too!! The geeks at work were so jealous!
Thanks again!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

And I just got an email saying my gift card was declined. I'll resend it tonight.

Damn bilking address errors.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Got it.

Thanks all!

Cam have you got the books yet?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Not yet, but they were coming over the pond. Perhaps tomorrow if I am lucky.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Got my signed Alan Moore comic today (or rather yesterday)! It was a wonderful surprise to come home and find comics waiting for you. Many thanks again Stocky for getting this. I truly appreciate this.

Also, as the comic made a brief stopover in Canada I also received a few extra goodies courtesy of Wulf: JSA by Geoff Johns & Dale Eaglesham 1&2 and the fire six issues of Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. I'm especially eager to read these given what I've heard about the series. My thanks goes out to Wulf for sending me those books.

All in all, yesterday was a great end to a shitty day!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Nice score! It's always good to get presents after a shitty day. I'm usually resorted to eat some incredibly tasty food to take my mind off everything, lol.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Fahran, once you've read Astonishing 1-6, make sure you stay away from the rest of the book as it sinks considerably in quality, though the creative team stay the same.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Enjoy!

I had no idea if that was the Johns run of JSA you were thinking of.
I believe he had two runs.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

He did. The first co-wrote with Goyer for a time on the JSA title, and the second on the relaunched Justice Society of America that was paired with Meltzer's Justice League of America. The run with Eaglesham was his second run.

The More You Know...

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

What about the Ellis run of Astonishing? Is that good bad or meh?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Not good and pretty confusing from what I remember.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah. Most every run after that first was just average. I liked the ending to Whedon and Cassaday's run, but the opening is the best. I barely recall anything from Ellis's run.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That was some of Ellis's worst works.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm actually glad they did a retcon on Forge's actions, I hated what Ellis did to him.

The worst Ellis comics I've ever read was the work he did with Brian Wood on Generation X that lead to the title being cancelled. Such horrible, horrible work.

XIII

Post by XIII »

My dear English boy, I have questions for you :

Independent Scotland : Yay or Nay?

Warner about to lay off staff in every branches. Are you safe?

Also, have you watched the BBC show "The Hour"? It's from some years back but damn it's good. Why oh why did they not go for a third season?

MGM

Post by MGM »

While I know BJJ isn't really famous for its kicks, I figure the chance Wulf's looking here is slightly bigger than you checking his topic. ;)

I'm looking to get more impact with my kicks. I know, technique. But apart from that I figure it's also about strength. Which excersizes do you recommend?

Also, speed and impact for straights. Simple pushups?

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

XIII wrote:My dear English boy, I have questions for you :

Independent Scotland : Yay or Nay?

Warner about to lay off staff in every branches. Are you safe?

Also, have you watched the BBC show "The Hour"? It's from some years back but damn it's good. Why oh why did they not go for a third season?

SCOTLAND
I don't know what would be better for all parties and I haven't really been following it. I'm not convinced Alex Salmond has thought through the financial implications of leaving the UK. It looks like Scotland won't get to keep the pound if they leave and RBS and I imagine other Scottish companies might relocate to London if the vote is yes.
I think more independence whilst staying part of the UK would be best.

WARNER
We are no longer Time-Warner and it's been that way since last year, which means I won't get a free ticket for the third Hobbit film, since I work for Time :-(. But, concerning your question - lay offs at Warner won't affect me, since I work for Time.
Very recently, we've had a rebranding. I work for the magazine distributor, that's owned by a magazine publisher, IPC in the UK, who in turn is owned by Time. Last week the company dropped the IPC name and now operates under Time Inc UK.

THE HOUR
I've seen the first season and it's awesome. Haven't seen the second one yet, I know it came out ages ago now.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

MGM wrote:While I know BJJ isn't really famous for its kicks, I figure the chance Wulf's looking here is slightly bigger than you checking his topic. ;)

I'm looking to get more impact with my kicks. I know, technique. But apart from that I figure it's also about strength. Which excersizes do you recommend?

Also, speed and impact for straights. Simple pushups?
Ha! I must admit, I've become very poor at looking at threads outside of the comic ones and it could even be said I barely respond to any thread outside of the Shipping This Week one :-/

KICKS
I don't have a good response for your kick question dude. I think you're probably way more into Kickboxing/Muay Thai than me at this stage. It should be me asking you questions, if I decide to take it back up.
The only think I can think of for power though, is the way Bas Rutten would really turn the foot he plants. He was known for powerful kicks, but I suspect this extra turning of the foot on the groud probably contributed to his bad knees. But, this is technique, in terms of excercises, I don't know. More explosive/jumping squats? Maybe single leg squats? Maybe those excercises will increase your leg strength and explosive movement, which in turn hopefully improves the impact and speed of your kicks.

STRAIGHT PUNCHES
Only guessing here, but since it's back and triceps I'm guessing shoulder width apart push ups will be better than placing your hands wider apart, which would be better for targetting the chest. Maybe, again like with the squats explode up when you do them to increase power.