Olympics : London 2012

Throw a riot and beat each other senseless over your favorite team! New and improved!

Moderators: Sandman, IrishCream

Stocky Boy

Olympics : London 2012

Post by Stocky Boy »

... did anyone watch any of it?

I know this isn't a very active board, but I would have thought that the Olympics would have generated at least one thread. :D

I watched loads! Lots of Judo, Wrestling, Volley Ball, Hand Ball, a bit of gymnastics and athletics and pretty much a bit of everything else.

The opening ceremony was pretty entertaining and the original idea for the Olympic cauldron was excellent.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I watched quite a lot. We did rather well, actually.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I watched a lot and am proud to say we did better than the Dutchies. :D

Mostly watched swimming (obviously), some judo, lots of track & fields, some fencing, some judo (RINNER!).

Very enjoyable Olympics though the closing ceremony was about as big a failure as the opening was great.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I missed the opening ceremonies and the closing ceremonies.

I watched bits of Beach Volleyball and some Water Polo with a friend of mine.

But as Arn and Wally are well aware, all I really did was watch tennis and then when that was done, I was pretty much done with the Olympics.

I've never been so much to root for my "home" team as much as players I enjoy, and I continued that way in the Olympics.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I watched almost nothing. Missed the opening & closing ceremonies. Most of the events I wanted to watch were on during the day or in the wee hours in the morning or very late at night.

Probably most frustrating of all was that the news stations (as well as the station with exclusive rights to broadcast the Olympics) would spoil the results of the major events
before or while they were being broadcast.

So no. I did not watch

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I understood how that was a bother for a lot of people, but what I couldn't understand was how people were constantly complaining (in the US at least) that the Olympics weren't being aired live. I heard this a lot from my family, including one saying "with all this technology, how hard is it to air things live?" They didn't realize why things weren't always being aired live at a time where probably 80% of the people in the US who would want to watch them wouldn't be able to.

When in reality here, many sports and competitions were being aired live, but what would be considered the 'big' competitions like Volleyball, Swimming, Track and Field, and Basketball were being saved for evening airings so they would get higher ratings than if they aired at say noon on a Tuesday when people were at work. It's a lot like when other sports play and people record them, they run the risk of hearing the score. You just have to work a bit to avoid seeing results.

I guess I couldn't figure out how a lot of people didn't realize this and instead claimed nothing was being aired live. Yeah it's a pain that some things go spoiled, but that's bound to happen with a time difference, especially with an easy access to information that we have now.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

NBC time delayed the olympics.

They also edited them to make it to make it seem more suspenseful, like the womens gymnastics. Or the opening ceremonies. To cut out the London terrorist attack memorial to show Ryan Seacrest.

They did a awful, awful job.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

That's really stupid.

But Epke was awesome.