The Wallstreet Book Review vol. III

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I started reading Magician: Apprentice a little over a week ago (f'ing finally) and so far its pretty good. The themes, story points, and characters are all standard formula in an adventure story (young orphan unsure about himself who is destined for great things and begins his tutelage under a wise sage etc...)

I haven't read a lot of Fantasy books in my life. Even though they are just different variants of adventure/action stories, they were never really my thing. They were interesting enough but I just couldn't get into them. But so far I'm enjoying Magician, so we'll see how it goes.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I finished reading Magician: Apprentice and, yes, it was a very enjoyable book. I hesitate to use the word “great” in describing the book because there was nothing in there that really shocked or amazed me or left me hungering for more. This doesn’t take away from the book though because it was still a wonderful read.

As mentioned earlier the story, themes and characters in Magician are those that we’ve seen many times before in other genres (Orphaned child, unsure of himself and destined for greatness) and though this is seemingly standard formula for writing an action/adventure story, it was still interesting because it was formula done right. The main protagonist is an orphan named Pug who serves in the Kings court and eventually becomes an apprentice to the King’s Magician Kulgan. The story then focuses on Pug’s studies and growth into adolesence as well as those of his close friends in the King’s castle.

The story then shifts to an oncoming invasion from people from a different dimension and Pug’s apprenticeship takes somewhat of a backseat to the story of the invasion.

The story is well done for a few good reasons. Though the story is about Pug and his apprenticeship in learning magic we hardly ever see Pug perform magic for the entire duration for the first book. Further, the story focuses on several characters or groups of characters simultaneously so the spotlight is, to an extent, shared. The book focuses on Pug for a little more than three quarters of the story but in the last 50+ pages Pug is entirely absent and the story, and rather than focusing back on Kulgan and the party Pug had stayed with, the writer shifts the focus back to Pug’s homeland and puts the spotlight on secondary and tertiary characters whom we have little exposure to.

Overall Magician was a very well written story. It had all the hallmarks of a classic fantasy story: Faraway world, magical races and creatures, war, death and despair, bravery and virtue, heroes and villains, etc…
Now I’m deciding if I want to read Magician: Master immediately or wait a few weeks before diving into it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Wait, so the end didn't throw you at all? Where the invaders talk about their homeworld?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

It was an intriguing little tease they left us in the end but it didn't knock me on my rear or leave me scratching my head in confusion. Throughout the story it is mentioned how different the invaders are so I chalked that up to a difference in their culture. But let me re-read that final part just to see if I missed something

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I recently read Fleshmarket Alley & Urban Gothic. Both are fantastic books and worth the read. Fleshmarket Alley, written by Ian Rankin, is a very well done crime fiction story in which he uses his recurring character: Detective Inspector John Rebus. Time and energy prevent me from writing a full blown synopsis, but suffice to say if you like noir, which many of you do, pick up Fleshmarket Alley. Furthermore, if you like noir in general, pick up any of Ian Rankin's books. They are highly entertaining and well written.

In the horror genre, I recently discovered writer Brian Keene; an absolutely fantasmic horror writer. Keene has been writing horror stories for a helluva long time, taking a special interest in zombies, and though he has a penchant for zombie stories, he doesn't limit himself to them. His horror stories deal with supernatural horror, paranormal, human, sci-fi etc...He is a versatile writer within horror and I would reccomend his novels to anyone, ANYONE who likes horror.

Sandman, I finished The Stand a while ago, and while the ending left me a little dissapointed, on the whole it wa a great book. Many thanks for the reccomendation. In turn I would reccomend to you, any of Brian Keene's novels. They kick ass.

And Mitch, I'll be reading Magician: Master very soon so I can see how the story ends.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Recently fell into Ian Rankin. So far I've read the first 2 Rebus novels (Knots & Crosses and Hide & Seek) and really enjoyed them.
Looking forward to more Rebus investigations.

XIII

Post by XIII »

You know, fuck all that Magician stuff. I read in your first post of the thread that you were supposed to do a review of Hide & Seek. Where is it?

Damn the Dutchie and his heroic-fantasy gayness.

:D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:I read in your first post of the thread that you were supposed to do a review of Hide & Seek. Where is it?

It's not like you were gonna read it anyway. :)

XIII

Post by XIII »

If I've read the book, I'm ready to read your review, even if it is more than 5 lines long. :)

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've read a few more books by Brian Keene. Keene is a fantastic horror writer. Though he's known mostly for writing zombie stories, his other horror is just as excellent. He knows how to write interesting & compelling characters & more than that, he knows how to write how characters will (re)act in frightening or life and death situations. He also makes his stories funny. Funny is a big plus in my book.

However, with Ramadan starting in a few weeks, I'll be taking a break from reading for pleasure and from horror. The next books I read will be Confederacy of Dunces & The Savage Detectives. I've heard great things about Confederacy of Dunces and a few people have reccomended The Savage Detectives to me.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:If I've read the book, I'm ready to read your review, even if it is more than 5 lines long. :)
I read Hide and Seek so long ago I've forgotten what it was about. But no worries, I'll just go back to the library, skim it & post a review. I'm pretty good with remembering details once I've skimmed a book I've already read.
Damn the Dutchie and his heroic-fantasy gayness.

:smilielol5:

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Wally, did you ever read Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand?

One off fantasy book, it was very entertaining.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I haven't read The Ten Thousand but I'll put it on my immediate to read list which will now go:

The Savage Detectives
Magician: Master
The Ten Thousand
Confederacy of Dunces
Band of Brothers

In that order. I'm taking a break from horror and suspense and am getting back into noir & fantasy for a bit. I'll probably start reading these after Ramadan and they'll last me until the new year.

EDIT:
Updated my list. After watching Band of Brothers, I'm adding the book it was based off if to my immediate must-read list

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

After meeting Bruce Campbell at NYCC, I was motivated to read: If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor.

It was a good autobiography; well written with touches of humor and a look behind the curtains of the struggles of aspiring film stars and the hard working crews that bust their humps making films.

I also finished reading: The Savage Detectives and for everyone who thinks this is a hard boiled crime fiction story: it's not. To me its a mix of coming of and surrealist storytelling. Neither one of which I'm a big fan of. I don't think there is anything wrong with those types of genres, I'm just not a big fan of them.

Right now, I've started a Stephen King novel: From a Buick 8. After I finish this, I'm going to start The Ten Thousand

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

From a Buick 8 was very frickin weird. I had a lot of fun with it, almost seems a melding of The Mist and Christine.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Ah, I am reading the follow-up to the Ten Thousand right now.

Same enjoyable, easy read I loved about the first one.

MGM

Post by MGM »

How's Magician: Master coming along?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So sorry I forgot to answer your question. I started reading Magician: Master and got about a quarter of the way through it when I misplaced it somewhere in my home. I only recently found it. However, by that time I had begun reading The Ten Thousand. I haven't yet finished The Ten Thousand. I had to return The Ten Thousand due to its high demand and when a book is very popular here, the libraries don't allow you to renew it.

Right now I'm about halfway through a crime fiction novel by George Pelecanos called King Suckerman. Pelecanos is an amazing noir writer. I would highly reccomend picking up his books. His stories are typically set in Washington D.C. but span different periods of time from the 1950s - 00s. And they pretty much always deal with drugs, race relations and the socio-economic culture of the time period. His writing is very vivid, authentic and gritty. And if that doesn't sell you guys on it: Pelecanos was also a writer & producer on The Wire for about 2 years.

Once I finish King Suckerman, I'm going to finish Magician: Master & then get back to The Ten Thousand. I have a lot of reading to do so thank goodness for the train rides.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

How were you enjoying Magician Master and the Ten Thousand?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Magician: Master, like it's predecessor, was shaping up to be a solid read. The begining wasn't exactly slow but there was that same initial buildup. Though obviously, now that I know who the character's are and what has happened, I am eager to see them start to move into action. In addition there are new several new characters and the storyline is expanding to include not just the war but politics as well, which history has shown us, is just as big a part of war as anything else. However, when I do start to re-read it, i'll likely start from the very begining. It's been so long since I've read it that I've forgotten what happens in the begining.

The Ten Thousand was another good read (I hesitate to use the word great as I haven't even gotten halfway through it). Also I was excited to read a period piece set in Greece with all the major themes of an epic tale: war, politics & loss. Hopefully when I'm done with both of these books, I'll be able to give you a better idea of how felt about them.

What books are you guys reading at the moment?