Green Lantern: First Flight

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Green Lantern: First Flight

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Another great film by DC.

The animation is solid and in the same vein as the WW film and Superman/Batman & JLA TAS shows.

The action began almost immediately in the film. Unlike the WW film, the lag time time between introducing Diana and having Diana go out into the world was about 15-20 minutes (I think); the lag time between introducing Hal and getting him up and running was not that long (0-7, maybe 10 minutes tops).

As I was watching some of the special features, the writers and directors were talking about how they modeled the story of the film after Training Day and it really showed. Sinestro took Hal as his apprentice for a day when he saw that Hal wasn't afraid to question, or even defy authority and might become a potential future asset.

Sinestro's contempt for the Guardians was blatant and he tried his best to influence Hal's view of them. I guess he figured he had a much better chance with Hal considering he didn't know anything about the Guardians and had no bias for them. And speaking of Lantern's, Hal's supporting cast consisted of Abin Sur (RIP) Kilowog, Ch'ip, Boodika & Tomar-Re, Arisa, Salaak and of course Ganthet.

Unfortunately most of aforementioned Lantern's didn't get too much voice time but they were visible and had some moments of their own. The voice casting itself was wonderful. Meloni, Garber, Helfer, & Madsen as Jordan, Sinestro, Boodika & Kilowog respectively was great.

One of the best things about the film was that 95% of it took place off the Earth. The Lantern's visited OA, and many other far off planets. The artists went buck wild creating all manner of alien species and races. Twas "awesome" in a word.

As far as the story itself. It was a good solid story that toed the line with a few choice swear words. And though it was excellent it lacked the dry humor that was prevalent in the Wonder Woman film. Not asking for a lot of cheesy one-liners or ridiculous slap-stick but humor in a film matters to me. The battle sequences were great. Each sequence depicts Hal becoming increasingly adept with the ring and more confident in his role as a Lantern; culminating in a great final battle with Sinestro.

I would highly recommend this to people. It's a great way to kill 70 minutes (maybe a little more or less) and thoroughly enjoyable.

Ranking First Flight, I would put it just underneath the Wonder Woman film. They're both great but I give the WW film the edge because of the humor.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Glad to hear it stacked up just as well, and I agree, one of my favorite parts of WW was the humor that I was not at all expecting! I'm stoked to see First Flight once I get the chance, and I'm sure it'll entertain me just as well as the others have!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

One of the special features of FF was a behind-the-scenes look at Public Enemies and for the first time I got a look at Kevin Conroy. The guy looks like the groom from Corpse Bride. He's got pasty skin that seemed to be thinly stretched over his lanky frame. I don't mean any disrespect towards him but he just really freaked the hell out of me.

I still think hes the voice of Batman though

The animation is a touch different though. It's a mix of Ed McGuinnes body types with the animation style of the current crop of DC animated films. Looking forward to it.

Next films we must have: A Flash movie with Wally West and a Trinity Film.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well, we'lll know what the next film will be when PE rolls out, and so far from what I've seen the artwork on PE looks great! I'm very excited about it.

CountD

Post by CountD »

Only a GL or comic-book fan would love this.

Of coure, I did.

The animation was above-average, but the story is really well known with little surprises.

So, for the fan...it had very little to offer. (Seeing the Guardians animated is cool)

For the non-fan, it's hard to get into.

B- for fans. D- for non-fans

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I thought it was really good.

D, I can't see why a non-fan couldn't get into it. It had a simply story to follow.

I've just watched Superman/Batman Public Enemies and I'm loving that these DC films all have a bit of swearing in them, real fucking guns and actual deaths! It's nice to see some non PG material. Makes it feel like the stories aren't being treated with kid gloves on.
If something similar is followed for the GL movie, I'm expecting good things!

Really like the costume change for Hal. I love it when artists for a wider audience make little tweaks that will make the outfit look less like spandex/cloth. Let's take a quick look at the design changes that make this costume possibly the best ever GL costume out there (although John Stewarts is pretty good).
- GL Hal had a collar that made the outfit look a little more like a uniform.
- The 'shine' on the costume made it look thick enough to not be spandex. Possibly armoured.
- Removing the white gloves! They enhance the 'cloth' look.
- Giving him forearm guards and black gloves. This blended into the uniform armoured look perfectly
- Not overdoing the traditional 'V' shape of the mask. What's with that in the comics? It's crap.
- And the boots looked suitably thick. Again, not skin hugging cloth material.

Great costume, great story, great film.