I just bought: all media style

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Broke down and bought the complete GI Joe and Transformers original series on dvd. Saved about 40% or so and both are sets I'd been wanting to get for awhile. I used to have Transformers on VHS (for more than I bought the dvds, lol).

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Sopranos: The Complete Series. It'll be the next "family night" tv show to watch.

XIII

Post by XIII »

DVDs:
Django Unchained
Borgen season 1
Luther season 1&2
Engrenages (Spirals) season 4

CDs
Random Access Memory by Daft Punk

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Batman: Year One on blu-ray
Spawn: the 1998 animated series on HBO season 1-3
Van Helsing: Animated series (I needed to spend an extra $2.00 in order to get free shipping and this was on for $3.00)

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

A few weeks ago I picked these up:

Lego Batman
Lego Batman 2: DC Universe

Both for XBOX 360. Both incredibly fun. Cannot wait for the Marvel one!

Books:

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon
Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher

I've come to enjoy what I've read by Chabon, so I'm trying to get a complete collection of his work, and a friend of mine said he really enjoyed this one. The Seven Wonders is a superhero noir, but I'm not sure if it's aimed at a tween/young adult audience or not. If so, I can pick up more copies for my classroom if it's appropriate.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I tried Lego Batman but I just can't get into it. I have it for Wii and it's overall too dark for my old tv and I can't tell a quarter of what is going on. I don't have trouble with other games being too dark on my tv, so maybe it's just this specific game which sucks. I do love the other Lego games.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It is a bit, but I'm willing to bet that's the fault of the TV itself. Did you try upping the brightness when you played to help?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I couldn't resist Amazon's Blu-Ray deal for Fox's Marvel Movies:
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
Daredevil: Director's Cut
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Surfer
Elektra: Director's Cut

$6.66 (heh) a movie, basically. While several of these are looked down upon, they're still fun comic book movies. A lot of these I haven't seen since my first viewing so it'll be nice to watch them again.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

The other day I bought:

DVDs:

Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

A friend of mine gave me this since they don't want to play it anymore:

Lego Lord of the Rings for XBox 360. These Lego games are SO DAMN FUN!

Flashpoint Paradox was not. It was awful. Shoddy animation at times where faces were literally a line and two dots and often the body proportions were horribly done. Aquaman looks like the Hulk with a shrunken head at times in the alternate universe. Definitely done as a rush job to move DC into producing New 52 animated features. The story wasn't bad, as they crammed as much as they could from each Flashpoint series into the movie (which could be bad if you thought about it. The Pirate/Deathstroke thing didn't really fit other than to show you Atlantis is ruthless! OMG!) and it's pretty intense in it's violence. I wouldn't let too many younger kids watch this one as you have a number of people killing each other and dying themselves. Definitely not worth it this early. Wait for it to be under $10 (or even $5), or watch it with someone else who bought it.

And those motherfuckers left out my Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos. So Fuck it anyway. Don't buy it.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Finishing up Malcolm in the Middle and decided to check out a few other shows not on Netflix and found some cheap dvds (all under $15 each):

Californication: Fifth Season
Game of Thrones: Second Season
Girls: First Season
House of Lies: First Season
Warehouse 13: Fourth Season

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Mad Men Season 5

Imagine Dragons: Night Visions Deluxe Edition

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

House, MD: The Complete Series. Found it on eBay for $70 which beats the $135-200 normal price tag.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

DVDs

The Great Gatsby (2013)
Love and Other Drugs
Night of the Living Dead (1960s)
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Independence Day
Cabin in the Woods

All gifts for my birthday.

Books:

Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm fully in a horror mindset. I was at Walmart today and picked up 5 dvds of 41 horror movies (majority will likely be shite but that's expected with cheap collections like this). I am excited about Leprechaun 1-4 and Children of the Corn 2-7 (just need 1 and 8 for the complete collection). If only they would do a collection like that of the Halloween movies which are a pain to find for cheap, it seems. There isn't a single collection of all 8 movies together (10 if you count Rob Zombie).

I also looked at goHastings and found out I could order the used versions of Friday the 13th for cheaper than the collection. So I got the Deluxe Edition of 1-8 and then Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday and Jason X. I'm excited to watch them whenever I get them. Since I ordered it online, they said the shipment may be divided into several packages depending on where it's shipping from so it will be interesting to see how many packages it really takes to get to me. I also need to hunt up some 3D glasses so I can watch Part III in 3D.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse 2- Disc Animated Film
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights 2-Disc Animated Film

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Books:

Veronica Mars: The Thousand Dollar Tan Line

MGM

Post by MGM »

Is it any good?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Since I'm starting two novels in my classes, I haven't been able to start it. Loaned it to a coworker who started it last night and they said they felt like they were back in Neptune. For an added experience, the audio book is read by Bell herself. Tempted to buy that as well.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

DVD:

Veronica Mars

The hard copies for Kickstarter backers have apparently been shipped out, as mine arrived today.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City

Both are Game of the Year editions as well so there's a bit more added in. Got them for Christmas. I just beat the story in Aslyum and I've played city before so I may wait to start it. Origins is on sale and I also want to get Lego 3 as well.