Mystery/Spy Novels?

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

wolf_2099

Mystery/Spy Novels?

Post by wolf_2099 »

Does anyone know of any good ones? Maybe even series?

I'll send you warm thoughts if you can point me to something like Janet Evanovich's books.

But anything works, serious or humorous.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

The Bourne series (or what I've read of it) is good.
“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.â€￾ - Nikola Tesla

:toetap: You're a real asshole when you're drunk, Superman.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes, but also rather outdated, to be honest.

I'd be hard-pressed to name a title or author, to be honest.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Read the Queen & Country novels by Rucka. It's great. I just finished A Gentleman's Game and looking forward to the next one.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Aside from the classic, and most well known, writers of spy fiction like Robert Ludlum, Ian Fleming, Gayle Lynds, Tom Clancy there is:

David Morell. Morrell's early work was very spy heavy, if a little predictable but thoroughly enjoyable. Problem is now he writes mostly generic action stories. Morrell is most famous for creating the character of Rambo and he also had a brief run (recently) on Captain America. Morell rarely writes books as a series but prefers to write stand alone books.

Daniel Silva is another writer who has written some great spy novels. Though nothing outstanding its still enjoyable generic thrillers.

Desmond Cory is another writer of great critical acclaim. I haven't read his stuff but I hear its very good. His creation is a character called Johnny Fedora, a British Secret Agent, whom he has written many books about but still less popular than his counter part James Bond.

Alan Furst is a kick-ass writer. He writes both stand alone novels and series novels. What sets Furst apart from his peers is that Furst's spy novels take place before WWII; before having, spy satellites, secret cams and mini mics jammed up your ass. His work is highly recommended.

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Agatha Christie's my fav, bit old school for some people but I <3 Miss Marple.
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

If you're looking for weird Mystery, check out Stephen King's The Colorado Kid. Its short, fucked up, and kinda-sorta relates to his regular series...