Netflix's Iron Fist

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Netflix's Iron Fist

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Iron Fist was bad. So bad. Iron Fist was bad on its own and horrible when compared to Daredevil, Jessica Jones & Luke Cage. This was the first misstep for the Marvel/Netflix team up.

My problems with Iron Fist:

Slow pacing. I mean at a glacial level. The show spent way too much time on useless things like boardroom meetings, Danny Running around telling people he's Danny Rand without offering any proof and getting annoyed when they don't believe him. I know he's enlightened but it doesn't mean he lacks common sense. Also some of the dialogue was just WTF.
"I'm Danny Rand.
Prove it.
I just want to talk"

Wtf? So much wasted time.

Second big gripe: lack of great fight scenes. The slow pacing wouldn't have been as bad if there were great action scenes in between the boringness. The action scenes in IF were so few and so utterly "meh". The show is called Iron Fist so at the bare minimum it should have a lot of great fight scenes or a few great ones. It doesn't deliver on either front. Daredevil had an amazing Hallway fight scene is season 1 and 2. Luke Cage had a great hallway fight scene early in his show. Jessica's Jones didn't have any memorable fight scenes in her show but she had other memorable moments. I'm almost up to episode 11 and the fight scenes have been "meh" at best. Nothing sticks out. He used his Fist to break out of the Mental Ward but that was a very quick cool moment but nothing like what I was expecting

Third gripe: as far as casting goes, Finn Jones is a good actor but he looked so...skinny as Iron Fist. Iron Fist doesn't need to be big and bulky but Kones should have at least looked ripped. Instead he looked like a guy who was in good shape. Whenever Jones was shirtless and we saw the Dragon on his chest, it made him look even smaller.

Those are my big problems. The show was riddled with more these are what stuck foremost.

Anyone else?

MGM

Re: Netflix's Iron Fist

Post by MGM »

I havne't seen it and I don't really plan on watching it. Reviews I've heard from people range from 'meh' to scathing.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It's definitely the worst of the four. It very much felt like the show runners didn't know what the plot should be. It goes from being about coming back to the reclaim his identity to stopping a drug operation. I was glad Madam Gao came back, but it just felt all over the place. Also, focusing on Danny Rand billionaire in the corporate world really took this out of the street level focus the other shows had been at. It's what I loved about Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage and this one just didn't have it. Overall it's my least favorite of the four.

I'm with you on the fight scenes. Rumors have it Finn Jones didn't really learn much in the way so fighting or choreography. That definitely shows in the fight scenes. They're always done in the dark or from a far enough view that you can't really see everything. Really seems like they had to hide that Jones wasn't the one in the fights. It seemed like everyone else he goes up against knew what they were doing and could've done a better job as Danny Rand.

The show did have one redeeming quality for me: Colleen Wing. Her character was great, and her fight scenes were wonderful. Jessica Henwick did a wonderful job and I was far more interested in her character than I was Danny Rand. I'd be thrilled to see another series focusing on her and Misty Knight as the Daughters of the Dragon. I wasn't thrilled what they did with the character toward the end but she was still the best part of that show. I'm glad she'll be in Defenders and hope we get more focus on her.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I agree with you both on everything.

I probably enjoyed it a little more than both of you though, from the sounds of it.

I also found it hard to believe that Joy would transform the way that she did at the end. More needed to be done to sell that and Steel Serpent could have sold his jealously of Danny and sense of betrayal a bit better. Seemed so teenage.

Favourite moment of the show, presumably an unintentional laugh moment - really took me out of the show. Did they need to remind you the show was set in New York?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMB2_vl-T1Y