Captain America Civil War

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Stocky Boy

Captain America Civil War

Post by Stocky Boy »

NO SPOILERS IN MY POST BELOW...

Fucking amaze-tits! :devilish:

It's quite likely the best Marvel/ comic film there is.

It was like a lesson for Supes v Batman on plotting, characterisation, acting and editing.
The reason for the conflict? Makes sense.
Characterisation in line with the best the characters have to offer and brings in established points from previous films.

Spidey is a bit cut and pasted into the story, but it's seamless enough and his inclusion is fantastic.

When the fuck does it come out in the US?

Tragic Angelus

Re: Captain America Civil War

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It came out tonight/tomorrow. I just got back and holy hell that was amazing. I'm ready to see it all over again. Loved it from start to finish, and yeah it was literally a blueprint on how to make a superhero v superhero conflict film. Wonderful all around!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Seeing it Saturday! So excited.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was a bit messy. Especially the first... hour? Quite a few characters/places had to be set and it wasn't really flowing that well, story-wise. Also, I'd preferred a little bit more character and less action. Especially since in a lot of shots, even the hand-to-hand combat scenes, it was rather obvious it was SFX. And in some scenes it was painfully obvious it was a studio-shot (I'm looking at you, Bucky-and-Cap-enter-the-cave-scene).

But overall I enjoyed it a lot and it's definitely much better than Avengers 2.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I didn't feel like it was too messy or crowded with characters necessarily. I think it's safe to assume nearly all of us have seen every Marvel Studios film, which all feed into this in some way, and because of that I was familiar with everyone and where they were prior to the movie. It felt like all of the character work was done earlier and we could just jump right in on this one. As a standalone that could hurt it, I'd admit, but anymore I don't look at the Marvel films as standalones since they really are connected But that's just me.

Spidey definitely looked CGI most of the time during the fight scene, and not just when he was doing almost impossible moves. It made me wonder if a lot of him was added digitally to also remove him digitally for trailers and the like to keep the size of his role a secret.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Thought it was pretty good. The airport fight scene was great and the movie sold me on the new Spider-Man.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

How did everyone feel about the de-aged Aunt May?

MGM

Post by MGM »

A bit overdone, but in character she's abit like Ultimate May, I suppose.

Hot, though. And that was probably the whole idea, with Stark also being in the Spidey movie.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

But at the same time, it makes sense. When I was the age Parker was in the movie, my aunt wasn't almost 70, and I'd think the same could be said for a lot of other people in that position. When I think of a character who is someone's aunt, I assume she'd be the same age as that person's parents, not 20 years older than their parents. Since Peter is roughly still halfway through high school in that 15-17 range, having a barely 50 year old Aunt May makes perfect sense to me.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Yeah actually that's a funny thing. Seeing a middle aged Aunt May doesn't make me think Marvel Studios have needlessly de-aged a familiar character. It makes me think, how on earth have I not questioned the age of Aunt May relative to Peter Parker before?

I remember hearing that May's hair colour in the comics wasn't supposed to be grey/white in the first place, but errors stick.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Right? I never questioned the age gap before but this movie, paired with the regression in age from all the movies it finally hit me that she's always been too old for the traditional aunt/nephew age range. This seems normal when I never considered it abnormal.

I've never heard the hair color was an error. If it was, that's one thing, but she was also drawn with heavy wrinkles all over her face wasn't she? That would make me think she was intended to be much older.