Rogue One: a Star Wars story

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

MGM

Rogue One: a Star Wars story

Post by MGM »

Trailer!

This looks much better than I was expecting. I figured I'd see it, but without a lot of anticipation. I'm anticipating now.

XIII

Re: Rogue One: a Star Wars story

Post by XIII »

I enjoyed it very much.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

In a way, I'm more excited about this than I was The Force Awakens. The idea that this would be a sort of "one and done" story excites me a bit. I really really enjoyed TFA, but I knew it would push forward and continue into Ep. VIII, but this one looks like we'll see these people and they'll be done with this story. I hope though, that if it's popular enough maybe they use some of these characters again in other single movie plots.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

This looked better to me than the force awakens.
The Jedi plot lines never did much for me (blasphemer!) so it's nice to see it delve into more of the rebellion.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm tempted to delete that blasphemy.

To me, this still is more a sideline to the main story. Star Wars is the trilogy of trilogies, all other movies will for me always be just expanded universe. I'll probably watch them all, but not with the same excitement.

Incidentally, Natascha and I were at a Con last weekend and we realised that there's SO much Star Wars these days, it's not special anymore. Every booth has statues, mugs, etc. Not all too long ago, I'd say 5 years or so, it was really fun and exciting to find a Star Wars item in a store (shirt, sweater, toy). These days we're so overloaded with crappy shit, it's hard to get even excited about actual nice SW-stuff.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I think the merchandise disappearing was due to how poorly Episodes I-III were received. You could find Legos and the occasional T-Shirt around here, but nothing much beyond that. Since the last trilogy wasn't as popular, there wasn't as much merchandise. I do remember there being a lot of stuff while those movies were coming out, so it's entirely possible that sometime after Ep. IX hits that stuff will disappear again.

I don't mind seeing as much of it myself. Same with superhero things. I wish when I was younger there would've been as many posters, shirts, toys, etc. as I see kids having now so I could've had it when I was first getting into all of it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Rogue One looks great. I like the fact that it's an entirely separate SW story featuring a new cast that looks like they will be able to support their own film. TFA was as good as it was for multiple reasons 2 of the main reasons being that it was a familiar story with younger characters and the older characters were reprising their old roles. Rogue One throws all that out and gives us a heist movie. I'm all in

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I didn't even think of it as a heist movie. That makes me want to see it even more now!

MGM

Post by MGM »

TONIGHT!
I'll have to admit the feeling is not quite the same as last year.

I'll spoil it for youse all, of course.

MGM

Post by MGM »

It's great. I didn't get a real Star Wars vibe. It looks, feels and sound like Star Wars, but there were only a few moments where I really felt it. It's a war movie, disguised as Star Wars.

A few great cameos, grand action and an amazing last scene, though.

MGM

Post by MGM »

On further reflection I need to elaborate a bit more: grand action in a fantastic second half of the movie. And possibly the best scene in the entire franchise ending the movie.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Seeing it in 8 hours.

On the other note.

The theatre by us does reserve seating for every theater now, which makes me happy, but their phone app lets you pre-order food and pick it up (in a seperate line) that I am trying for the first time.
I am excited to see how much easier it is than standing in line for half an hour for food.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Nice, that seems like a great feature! Lines here aren't that long, though.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Loved it!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I've seen it twice now, and I enjoyed it. I really would like to see this group of characters again, which I suppose could happen in other anthologies set before Rogue One, but I want to see them as a team instead of individually. And I agree, the back half of the movie is the best part. From the time they take off to Scarif until the end, I'm hooked 100%. Enjoying this has me hopeful for other anthology films, and it'll be nice to have one Star Wars film a year for the next few years.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I read somewhere about one 'flaw' which the movie indeed has. If you watch Rogue One and A New Hope back to back, how do you explain the baddest Vader ever depicted anywhere compared to the geriatric old man just a minute later?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I pretty much interpreted that as "what we could do with effects at the time" for the original Vader. In all three of the originals, all Jedi battles are pretty simple sword fights, and with limited digital technology that's what you'd get. Some force moves here and there but mostly pushing and shoving people or things. It's the prequels where you get fancier movies and force flips and all that since they could do more digitally. So the same thing here where you can see Vader cutting people in half, putting his light saber through people, etc. They had the tech to do it. It definitely sets a different tone for Vader from Rogue One to A New Hope, but I figure that can't really change any more than it has.