Upcoming Marvel Netflix shows

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Upcoming Marvel Netflix shows

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Luke Cage Season 1 - September 2016
Jessica Jones Season 2 - 2017
Iron Fist - 2017

Looking forward to Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Although Danny Rand has been cast, There was some talk (not among Marvel) but on the internets that casting an Asian person to play Danny Rand as a biracial Asian American would have added some much needed diversity to Marvel's lineup without compromising much of the charector or storyline. A biracial Danny Rand could have still pulled off the "Fish out of water" element of Rand traveling to wherever and learning all the martial arts in the world and coming back to America to find his place in it.

I would have liked to seen an Asian American cast as Rand but I'll marvel the benefit of the doubt that Iron Fist will still be great

Stocky Boy

Re: Upcoming Marvel Netflix shows

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'm looking forward to all of them.

The problem with Iron Fist is that it doesn't matter if you choose an asian or white actor - it's a bit racist either way. :-)
Asian casting?
"Hoorah! An asian actor in a prominent series. Hoorah! But hold on! We're celebrating giving asians the lead in what again? Oh yeah a role where we've stereotyped asians as martial arts badasses".
White casting?
"So, white man with no knowledge of the martial, mystic arts turns out to be better at them than the foreigners".

It's a lose lose situation. I hear rumours that they may cast Shang Chi as well as a balancing act.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Shang Chi would actually make sense in an Iron Fist series.

Anyway: Jessica Jones season 2 is the one I'm looking forward to.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Here's a recent piece saying a similar thing to what I was saying, but also throwing in a solid commercial reason.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... anges-2016

XIII

Post by XIII »

They announced today that a Punisher show has been greenlit. :)

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Netflix & Marvel have proven they can tackle a wide range of characters but I feel like The Punisher is going to prove a bit more finicky than usual.

After several failed movies it seems that Marvel is finally going to do what I said all along and produce it for a "mature audience" in the guise of serielized story telling.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Stocky Boy wrote:Here's a recent piece saying a similar thing to what I was saying, but also throwing in a solid commercial reason.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... anges-2016
So, Takei disagrees.
Wally, I wrote the first comment to what you shared on FB. It's the same thing I said above, I think it's less racist to cast the ancient one as white because:

(a) mysticism = asian is a bit racist
(b) white guy then being better than the asian masters also a bit racist

Plus, Baron Mordo has been cast black.