Preacher Trailer

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Preacher Trailer

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

What are your thoughts about the new Preacher series as well as the trailer?

The trailer the looked very good and had I never read Preacher before, I would've thought its a very dark modern day western. And because it's on AMC, I would've given it a shot.

Although the tone is similar, it looks like the story will be going in a wildly different direction. I'm not sure to what degree the supernatural aspect will be played up. It definitely won't be a globe spanning, cross country trail like the comic was. The trailer also gave us a brief glimpse of Cassidy but I don't think we saw Tulip.

I really don't care that the show doesn't mirror the comic as long as the show is well done and in the spirit of the comic.

Thoughts?

MGM

Post by MGM »

More in-depth later, but that dude just doesn't look like a Jesse Custer to me.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I've never read Preacher. It was the "it" book when I started reading comics, but it wasn't something I thought I'd ever want to read. Of course, that was 15 years ago and my tastes have changed and expanded a bit. For some reason though, it's not a series I've ever felt like I needed to go back and read to see what I missed out on. I have to say because of that, I'll probably pass on the show as well.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Some of the humor hasn't really aged well (it's kinda immature), but the overall tone and span of the story are still pretty good. You should read it, actually.

That said, that trailer doesn't wow me at all and I like Preacher quite a bit.

XIII

Post by XIII »

The trailer looks nothing like the comics. I'll still give it a shot cause it's AMC.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'll give it a shot, but like you've all said -

- Jesse doesn't look like Jesse
- Cassiday also doesn't look like Cassiday
- I'm getting the feeling it's going to be much different

MGM

Post by MGM »

It's not just that he doesn't look like the character, but there's no Jesse Custer vibe at all.

And I see the Preacher(-inspired) elements, but it doesn't really feel like Preacher. Oh well, maybe this is one of those rare instances where the trailer isn't making the product better.

Mr Wallstreet

Re: Preacher Trailer

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

There are no spoilers below, just my observations of the first ep.

I think it's gonna be an acquired taste for me. The episode wasn't bad but it seemed to be finding its footing. The tone of the story kept changing. One minute I the dialogue I was hearing sounded authentically western and the next moment it sounded like Jesse was just delivering lines - that is to say - some of the speech sounded very flat.

To me, the actor who portrays Cassidy does seem a lot like Cassidy both in how he acts and looks. Despite everything, the biggest point of contention has been that Tulip is being portrayed by a Black woman. That doesn't bother me but it does change the dynamics of her character. Race was a fairly important (though unremarked upon) part of Tulip past. That she was a white woman who grew up in the south is important to who she is. However, since they are changing a whole lot of important things in this series, it appears they can make it fit into the story.

I think k need to watch the first episode again.

MGM

Post by MGM »

While the show changes the origin of the story pretty drastically, it definitely feels like Preacher. I was more entertained than I thought I'd be.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Yeah it seems alright.

Cassiday does seem to be the closest to his comic book self.