Lucifer

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

MGM

Lucifer

Post by MGM »

Trailer

This looks oddly amusing. Of course, all it has in common with the comic is Lucifer and club Lux.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

It looks pretty entertaining. I'll give it a shot.

However, since I've only read the first volume, I can't really say how similar to the comic it seems from the trailer and whether or not I think it doesn't matter much.

It does seem like the typical TV cop formulae of the Mentalist and other shows of its ilk i.e. take cop show and add an eccentric lead - this time eccentric = devil. There's nothing wrong with this really. Not if it's done well, but it does feel like TV is swamped with these types of shows,iZombie being the latest.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It does seem that they're all taking the procedural formula and adding a new factor to it. iZombie does it, Fox tried it with Almost Human or whatever it was with the robot last year, and supposedly Alien Nation is coming back so I'd assume that will be similar. Some are interesting but yeah it's becoming the new trend.

I've never read Lucifer so I'm not sure if I'll end up watching this one. But if I can find time I might.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I never saw Almost Human. Was that the one with Karl Urban and A.I bot partner?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I think so. Or was it called Being Human? I just know it was the cop and robot partner show on Fox. I never saw it either but it sounded somewhat interesting.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Being Human is a BBC show about werewolves and the like.
Stocky Boy wrote:I never saw Almost Human. Was that the one with Karl Urban and A.I bot partner?
Yep. It was quite enjoyable, too bad it was cancelled.

I've read Lucifer and I'd much, much rather see a show that's actually based on the comic. That said, I'm much more inclined to watch this show than a watered down Lucifer like Constantine was a watered down Hellblazer. This show looks like a snarky fun show and has simply just a character based on the comic character. I'll just enjoy it for what it is: an entirely different beast.

But again, a compelling drama/crime based on the comic? Sold.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I read Lucifer as well and I'd prefer a show based on the comic over another police procedural. If a police procedural version of Lucifer works, then great - I'm not hoping it'll fail but I've seen so many police procedurals in the recent past, that I'm kind of sick of them.

A lucifer show based on the series doesn't need to follow the comic word for word or page for page but the general direction would be nice.

MGM

Re: Lucifer

Post by MGM »

With the show no in at 9 episodes I thnk I can safely say that I enjoy it as fun TV show that's perfect for putting on while surfing, cooking or doing other chores. It has it's fun with puns and other jokes about the devil and God and most of the actors are quite decent. The guy playing Lucifer has all the charm he needs, but he lacks the danger that should come with the character.

And I dislike the arc for Kevin Alejandro. To me he's the awesome cop from Southland and lately all I've seen him do is play the bad guy (in short-lived shows, so that doesn't bode well at all). Also, it's such an easy "curve".

All in all I'd probably not miss the show if it'd stop.