DAREDEVIL - Netflix

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

DAREDEVIL - Netflix

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I am psyched for this. All promos and trailers look amazing. Despite being set early in Matt's life, the character himself already looks beaten up and looks like he's been through the wringer.

And as a series we're going to get more character development story than what was crammed into the movie.

Does anyone else have Netflix? I won't be binge watching, instead I'll be taking my time.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I signed up for Netflix last night mostly for Daredevil, while also cutting my cable bill down in half. I'm pretty excited for it, and I agree with you. It should be pretty enjoyable to see a lot of growth and more characters than we usually do. I'm going to try to spend most of my weekend watching it but I want to try and keep pace with most of my friends at work and the shop so we're on similar pages to avoid spoilers.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I don't have Netflix so I'll have to download this. It looks real good and it can't be worse than the Affleck movie. But with Game of Thrones returning I don't know when I'll watch it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm downloading it. Not binge-watching, though.
I read a review of a critic who'd seen the first 5 episodes and it's supposed to be awesome.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Al Kennedy of House to Astonish said the first episode is better than the first Agents of SHIELD. Like this is some kind of achievement...
On Twitter, people some to generally like it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I've read very little Daredevil, but I really enjoyed the first episode. Some nice teasers for things to come and references, but honestly I enjoyed the story and trying to unravel the plot. No over-the-top uses of Matt's hyper senses. It kind of gives you an over the shoulder look when he's honing his hearing for heartbeats.

I'm sure I'll watch a few more episodes this weekend, but I may want this to last a little bit. I doubt it will, but I don't want to burn right through it and not have another one to watch for a few months when Jessica Jones premiers. Or is that next year?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The first episode was great. It was like The Wire with a sprinkle of spandex. The show is friendly to people who have little to no knowledge of DD. Also the show doesn't hit you beat you over the head with the fact that it's a comic book movie. The focus is more charector based and the story is more about the crime and corruption than Daredevil.

The way the show is set really makes NY look like a shit hole. Also, Murdoch is obviously the star but the guy who plays Foggy is fantastic. He doesn't oversell it nor is he too stiff; he plays Foggy like a perfect yuppie.

This - is how they should do the Punisher. Adapting any one of Ennis' Marvekl Knights runs for a 13 episode series would be perfect.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Having watched the first two episodes I can say this is a pretty good show. Characterization is pretty good and yes, it doesn't overly sell the comic book part.

Comparing it to The Wire is a bit too much praise, though. ;)

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I have 2 episodes left to finish but I absolutely love it. Almost all the actors/actresses fit their characters well. My only complaint is with Kingpin (see below). Overall the choreography is breathtaking and takes a lot from Asian cinema (Old Boy, The Raid).

[SPOILERS]

My only complaint is I don't fully like how Kingpin is characterized. He's too timid and neurotic. He shouldn't stammer that much around the other heads, it makes him look like he lacks confidence. I do enjoy how he changes when Vanessa is around, that does feel like the comics.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

MGM wrote: Comparing it to The Wire is a bit too much praise, though. ;)
Perhaps you're right. I may have been just a tad overzealous in praise for it. I was just very happy with the finished product.

MGM

Post by MGM »

It definitely is what I'd hoped it be. I'm 3 or 4 episodes in (just met Fisk) and I'm very willing to binge it. Not doing it, though.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm up to episode 7, and I've only found one problem with it:

It's almost impossible to talk about it with people because everyone is at different stages of the show. One guy at work finished 3, and another is right with me but only because I caught up to him. My friends at the comic shop are all over. Some have finished, some have barely started.

I'm loving the series, and it seems to shock and surprise me every episode. Really enjoying this series and I'm actually excited for Jessica Jones now.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I love Alias, so I'm very, very much looking forward to Jessica Jones.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm up to episode 3

I'm looking forward to Jessica Jones and Luke Cage as well. Is Iron Fist going to be a Netflix show?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yes, Iron Fist is the last "solo" show before Defenders I believe. I believe Cage comes after JJ, though the character is in that series as well.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Just finished episode 4 and one of the best things about this series is that it doesn't do cliffhanger endings after each episode like a lot of other dramas were doing. Nearly each episode ending so far (except for ep 1) has been brutal and powerful and has a chapter ending feel to it. I don't want to spoil the endings for eps 2-4 but they were very OMG

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I've finished episode 10, and those 'OMG' moments don't let up at all. Every time I think they can't outdo the last episode, they prove me wrong.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I binged it over the weekend it came out and finished on earlier on in the week.

It's fucking brilliant! I agree with all the positive things mentioned.

Chris, I wonder if Fisk's characterisation will change in season 2.

I think they hit the right balance between dark and gritty with a bit of light. Could you imagine Zack Snyder with the reigns to Daredevil? It would be super fucking dark and violent. Also - no story.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Watched the first episode. Loved it. The acting is top-notch. I really liked the mood they've chosen for the show.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I could have sworn Charlie Cox was Irish having seen him on Boardwalk Empire; turns out he's English.

What do you all make of his accent? I thought it was pretty serviceable, but now I'm confused since I thought I could hear some irish in his accent, but it seems unlikely now - although, just because it turns out he's English and not Irish like I thought, it doesn't mean his american accent couldn't sound a bit irish...