iZombie

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

MGM

iZombie

Post by MGM »

Well, this was nothing like Veronica Mars, was it?

Still, a VM knock off is better than most shows and it was quite entertaining. Now let's hope it finds its own voice.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I think it's a mistake to go into a show with the expectation that it will be like another former hit show.

Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad) and Bob Odenkirk (Saul Goodman) said something to effect of people should not watch Better Call Saul with the hope/expectation that its a direct prequel to Breaking Bad. It's similar in tone but entirely different direction, style and story.

I agree though it was entertaining and hope it gets a chance to get its shit together

MGM

Post by MGM »

I was not expecting it to be this much alike to VM.

Apart from that, I found it quite entertaining and am looking forwarf to the next episode.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I had no interest in watching this, even with Rob Thomas as show runner. But after seeing the opening credits online with Allred art, I thought why not. The premise didn't seem too bad, and I'd not read the book.

And I really liked it. I won't lie, I kept saying "holy crap this is VMars" the whole time. I forgot how much I enjoyed the internal monologue. The fact that it was a police procedural had me worried because those tend to bore me after a few episodes or season, but the zombie side (which normally I don't care for) was interesting enough. It really felt like a nice blend between Buffy and VMars, which I liked. I do hope it finds it's own voice, like you both mentioned, but I'm enjoying it right now. When I told a few co-workers it was similar to VMars, they were interested in it and checked it out, and they didn't think it was too bad either.

I'll definitely tune in on this one. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I've read and enjoyed the comic and am really liking the 'made for TV' version of the story.

I think for the TV show they wanted to create, side-stepping the comics way Rose had of getting brains - she worked at a cemetary - was better.

It's a fun little show. Haven't watched VM, but will take your word on it.

I like the were-terrier nod to the fans in the most recent episode. I wonder if this means we will be getting more strangeness eventually, or maybe it means the opposite; only zombies.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I believe show runner Rob Thomas said they wanted to stay strictly zombies for the first season, but that could always change. I hope if they do add more into it, they do it slowly rather than all at once.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I believe show runner Rob Thomas said they wanted to stay strictly zombies for the first season, but that could always change. I hope if they do add more into it, they do it slowly rather than all at once.
Bit like True Blood then. First season; establish vampire world. Second season - werewolfs.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Possibly. I've not read the comics but I read up on them. Depending on how long it takes to wrap up this arc their building, I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed on zombies for a season or two before adding more in.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Finally watched the first episode and I really liked it. It definitely had VM feel with the narration and quirkyness. It wasn't too much like the comic which isn't all that bad. I read in an interview Thomas wanted to keep it on zombies for now because there were other shows with non-zombies and they didn't want to broach that territory (Vampire Diaries and The Originals, I'm guessing). Hopefully they show more supernatural beings as the show progresses next season. Can't wait to continue catching up!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Aww yeah, Ryan Hansen guest starred in last week's episode! I'm really really loving iZombie. It has a VM feel while being it's own thing. Plus the whole "what type of person will Liv eat" each episode makes every episode unique. Also feels like Tru Calling, a show I honestly forgot all about until right now.