Guardians of the Galaxy

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Great film. Marvel succeeded in scraping the bottom of barrel and turning shit into gold.

And by "shit" I don't mean that GotG was a shoddy marvel property but that it 0 public exposure. The general public had 0 knowledge of these characters but the film was made and marketed for everyone.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I missed it. Also missed the Celebgate. Parenthood sucks sometimes...

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

You're a bad father and even worse comic fan

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I enjoyed it. I had 0 expectations going in, I didn't care about any characters save Thanos and what Ronan would be like, and I was very much entertained. I felt that this was the funniest of the movies so far in terms of the jokes purposefully included. The others rely primarily on Downey Jr.'s improving lines and having fun to get some comedy across, but this felt genuinely funny.

Glad we finally got the "these are Infinity Stones and they're super powerful" statements so there's very little guessing or hinting any more.

Overall I was pleased, but it didn't make me want to read the book. About an hour or two after the movie, I no longer cared what Star-Lord, Drax, and co. were doing in the books. After Avengers, I really wanted to start reading the book again. This one didn't do that for me, but I still enjoyed it.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Bendis isn't doing the best with the characters in the book. I'd prefer if another writer took over at some point soon.

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

I also went into this movie with no pre-knowledge of the series. In fact, I went in figuring it wouldn't be that great but I was proved very wrong.

It did make me want to find out more about GotG, I just haven't gotten around to it. It's on the to-read list. :)
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

XIII

Post by XIII »

Finaly saw it yesterday.
It's a good space movie that lived up to the expectations of everyone telling me how great it was. Maybe Ronan was a bit ridiculous with his big voice but it's a minor thing.
A little disappointment : the post credit scenes (while very funny) didn't indicate any ties to the upcoming Marvel movies.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Which scene was that again?

I was pleasantly surprised when I learned (during the movie) that Ronan was played by Lee Pace. This week I noticed he also is an Elven King in the Hobbit trilogy. I loved him on Halt and Catch Fire (TV show, check it out!).

I did find it odd they got rid of Ronan that easily, though. I mean, killing him.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Just watched it again last night, and yeah I agree on the post credit scenes with no real ties to other films. Dancing Groot was neat and cute, and a mild laugh out of the Howard the Duck thing, though I'd have preferred it if the scene had The Collector being sure he still had the Reality Gem from Thor 2.

And yeah, I never paid much attention to that fact but killing Ronan off seems surprising. He could have been a nice sort of "boss fight" before everyone took on Thanos, or even team up with the heroes in Infinity War. But when you think about it, Marvel consistently kills off the villains in the majority of their movies with Loki and Red Skull being the exceptions. Every Iron Man villain has died, Malekeeth died in Thor 2, and Pierce died in Cap 2. I suppose it's to keep from over-using certain villains, the way Luthor was in the original Superman series and Magneto has been in the X-Men films, but it does kind of lead me to expect most villains won't survive a Marvel movie at this point.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm not greatly versed in the Thor and Cap books, so I'd say that wasn't really a surprise to me. Those seemed more like generic villains (the same with the Iron Man villains, really). But Ronan is a big Marvel character and he easily cou;d've played a role in an Avengers movie. Imagine Thor taking on Ronan, wouldn't that be awesome?

Or, just thinking about that now, Drax vs. the Hulk. Ha, I'd love to see that.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well and that's what I mean. Even those one off villains still re-occur, or could be placed together by the likes of Loki or Hydra gathering them up, Masters of Evil style. But yeah, Ronan is a higher level character closer to Red Skull and Loki, but killing him off is a bit of a surprise. Again, I think it's more to prevent overuse on villains. But it doesn't mean we can't see another Kree Accuser come up later on, just means it won't be Ronan.