Movie going experience

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Movie going experience

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

How has your movie going experience changed or evolved?

I wait at least 3-4 weeks before seeing a movie because crowds annoy me. There are people talking, texting & generally being rude. I saw Cap this last weekend and the theater only had a handful of people. The movie was much more pleasant.

Product placement does not bother me at all. If I see a $100,000 Maserati in a movie, it's not going to make me go out and buy an expensive car. That's an extreme example but even smaller stuff like sodas, food, electronics etc... Seeing real world stuff doesn't take me out of a movie nor does it ruin it for me

However, I do find that as I get older my bladder is apparently shrinking. I don't eat or drink when Im about to see a movie but regardless by the time the movies over my bladder is near bursting. I personally believe if a movie is over 90 minutes long, it should have a 5 minute intermission for bathroom breaks.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I actually need to be less during a movie as I get older.

I love seeing movies when the first come out, but I alaways sit off to the side of the aisle to be more by myself, and away from people.

Popcorn and coke is also a must.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

As for waiting, it all depends on the movie. All of my friends see comic movies opening weekend, so to avoid spoilers and get in on discussions I try to do the same. Other movies I find myself waiting for or never seeing, when I used to try to see every movie possible I was interested in.

Product placement doesn't bother me, but as I've gotten older I'm definitely noticing it more. Cap is holding a coke bottle with the logo out, and not by accident. Everyone that works at the office apparently gets Dunkin Donuts every day for breakfast. Things like that I actually catch and go "Oh there was $30,000 that helped pay for this set" while watching it.

And I like to have a drink, but cost is killing me. Even after working at a theater, I will sneak a drink in whenever I can. But yes I have to pee by the end of the movie no matter what, sadly sometimes during and I can't wait. I left Veronica Mars during the most intense scene, but only because I had a downloaded copy on my computer I could watch later that night.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

My dad and I go to a new movie every Thursday or Friday. That's the main time we spend together, chatting before the movie and afterwards about it. We have an AMC Stubs card where you get points towards movies and since we go so frequently we get a lot of free movie tickets that way.

I rarely even pay attention to any product placement. At times it sticks out but it doesn't bother me unless it's blatant as can be.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I have no gripes. I just loathe 3D.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yeah, we don't do 3D either. Overpriced for something that doesn't even stick out as much as it could.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I hate 3D.
I like to go on the day after the release, at the first screening of the day (usually round 11am) cause there are very few people in the theater and also the ticket is half the price.
I like to have popcorn or KitKat Balls with him and a Coke.
I don't mind product placement.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Depending on how much I want to see a film, I'll either go see it close to it's opening date or not. I also find that going to an afternoon showing keeps the numbers in the cinema down, which is awesome.

I don't mind product placement. I just roll my eyes a little when it's blatant. Really makes you wonder how many guidelines for X amount of money there was for exactly how a company's product had to be seen in the film to get the money.

I tend to dehydrate before going to see a film. I barely drink anything hours before the screening and will only sip water during the film. I got a large coke once and had to piss during the middle of the film and the last fifteen minutes of the film, when I needed another piss was agonising.

If you need to piss during a film, what's your strategy for when to go? Let me give you an example. I've always thought that a LOTR film is the easiest kind of film to figure out when's best to piss. When are you least likely to miss out on an important plot point or big action in a LOTR film? During the start of a two minute wide angle helicopter shot of New Zealand hiking of course!

Have you ever left early from a film, because you thought it was shit and would rather lose the cost of the film rather than the cost of the film and your time?

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Usually I skip the movie theater if I can help it. The only time I purposely go is if it's a movie I have been gasping to see. For instance, I'll definitely go to the last Hobbit movie when it comes out here, which will be a while after it's out everywhere else.

The rest of the time, if I'm at the theater it's because it's my turn to volunteer at it. The movie theater here is totally volunteer run. The perk is after working concession (which can sometimes be scary, but usually not too bad) you get to go up into the balcony and watch the movie for free. :)

I usually don't buy a drink at the movie to avoid having to step out. Product placement doesn't usually bother me because, to be honest, I really don't notice it.

I concur, 3D is not that cool and I hope it goes away again. For good.
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet