Movie: The Raid

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

MGM

Movie: The Raid

Post by MGM »

Or possibly called The Raid: Redemption.
Saw this yesterday, an Indonesion flick which is apparently the dalring of all film festivals this summer. If you like action and martial arts, this one is HIGHLY recommended. It doesn't have much of a story. 20 cops enter a highrise building which is owned by a crimelord to take him down. That's the premise for some shooting, losing them guns and then go into a brutal martial arts movie. It's been a while since I've seen a contemporary fight movie, but this one is hard, fast and, well, brutal. Also, while the camera is in the middle of the action, the fights are not as in your face as lately is the fad, you can see quite well what's happening.

Also, I'll never diss pencak silat anymore. Although it looks a bit like it's a fusion with muay thai as well.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I almost went to see it but instead sat my butt on the sofa and played Lego Batman 2.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Dude! Why, but why?!

XIII

Post by XIII »

Cause I'm lazy!

MGM

Post by MGM »

You disappoint me. As usual.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I have this! I was going to watch it tonight, t is supposed to be great.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've heard great things about this as well. I'll watch it sometime soon

MGM

Post by MGM »

It is great, yes.
wolf_2099 wrote:I have this! I was going to watch it tonight, t is supposed to be great.
What'd you think?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

When I initially said "I'll watch it sometime soon" it turned out to be 2.5 years later.

I saw this film last week (parenthood sucks) and was amazed by it. True to the reviews, there wasn't much of a plot but the action sequences were fantastic and made up for it.

Someone online described the Raid as a classic video game whereby every time the characters in the film reach another floor, it's like a Boss fight. I'm gonna watch the Raid 2 soon (hopefully it won't take me another 2 years to get to it )

MGM

Post by MGM »

Coincidentally I watched The Raid 2 yesterday. While perfectly entertaining, it doesn't hold a candle to the first one. It has more story, less action and in my mind the action in the first part was better. It is bigger in scope, though. But that's precisely what I didn't really like, I loved the very simpe one-on-one (or one-on-many) fights in narrow hallways in the first movie.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

All I can say is... Hammer Train Fight!!!!

Hammer Girl's fight scenes were particularly grisly. I'm not too squeamish but those have fight scenes made me squeal.

It wasn't bad by any means but it wasn't trying to compete with the first film. The entire tone and direction of the 2nd film were different.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I was floored by the first one. It's so incredibly amazing and I loved the sequences for all the reasons you all said. I've heard the second one is definitely tonally different but I still want to see it. I'm hoping it pops up on one of the movie channels I get sometime soon.

MGM

Post by MGM »

It's supposed to be a trilogy, which each movie becoming bigger in scope.

Incidentally, agent Rama and the other awesome dude who was in both movies (different characters, in the first one he was the dude who took on both brothers at once, in the second one he was the fixer who got betrayed) are in the new Star Wars movie. No doubt they'll be performing the most awesome Jedi/Sith fight ever.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

^
This!

Yeah, I definitely thought the bearded hitman from the 2nd film was the enforcer from the first film but wasn't sure.