Academy Awards Tonite

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Academy Awards Tonite

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Hugh Jackman is hosting them, which is another reason to watch. I like movies and I intend to watch, and enjoy, the shit out of the awards show tonight.

For some reason people like to piss on Awards shows. Don't really get a lot of the hate; you don't like it, don't watch it (yes I realize the irony of this coming from the guy who is crusading against Fables). However, that is not to say that there aren't legitimate criticisms to made about the program. The biggest being the extravagant and excessive gift bags that are given to, already, filthy rich, multimillionaires.

Aside from that, I like them fine. :)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tonight! TONIGHT!

the AA runs way, way too long to actually watch them straight through. I'll leave them on in the background, maybe watch the last 45 minutes for the big awards.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

That's usually what I do. I watch the first 20-30 minutes, then leave it on the background while I do other stuff. Then I tune in towards the end. As important as sound editing, cinematography and special effects wardrobe is to a film, it just doesn't hold my interest.

The intro's are usually the best parts of this, although, the last few have been lacking.

I still think the funniest intro was done by Billy Crystal when he hosted the awards in 1997 or 1998. Whichever year, Titanic swept the awards.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm beginning to hate The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I bet when I see it, I'll hate it also

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

My 2.0 JDH Penelope Cruz won.

I wasn't expecting her to beat Meryl Streep (everyone was banging on about how Streep would win); that was the first big shocker of the evening

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

David Fincher and Danny Boyle have been thanked more times than the Academy in this awards show.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Slumdog Millionaire won again. Damn you for thanking Danny Boyle again... :mad:

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Boyle just won for Director...

Junkogen

Post by Junkogen »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:I'm beginning to hate The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I bet when I see it, I'll hate it also
I don't like it because of the title. It sounds like some dumb-ass Mark Haddon book or something.

Now, I have never read a Mark Haddon book...and it's because of such ridiculously cutesy titles.

Take your curious cases and shove them up your ass!:mad:

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Penn won best actor. Now that was a surprise. I thought it'd be Rourke or Pitt...

Junkogen

Post by Junkogen »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Penn won best actor. Now that was a surprise. I thought it'd be Rourke or Pitt...
What? Rourke didn't win for The Wrestler? Lame. Fuck Sean Penn.:mad:

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Penn won best actor. Now that was a surprise. I thought it'd be Rourke or Pitt...
As much as Rourke should have one, no way the Academy was going to let that insane man on stage to thank anal sex for and cows for winning.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm definitely going to have to see Slumdog Millionnaire now, after such a triumph.
I'm disappointed Fincher didn't win but that's more cause I love Fight Club, Seven and Zodiac so much.
Huzzah for Ledger.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

CCOBB was a triumph of film making, but the story was mediocre, and not very memorable.

Although, the same might be said for Slumdog. Remarkable well made, except the the 1 dimensional female lead. The story however, is all just a bunch of coincidences. Which is the point, I know.

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

The thing I found odd about Slumdog (slight spoiler ahead)

Every question that he "lived" the answer to was asked in the exact timeline of his life. Kind of weak. But I'm glad the lead was that kid. He was on Skins Season 1 and 2 and it's nice to see at least one of those kids going somewhere in the acting world.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

William McDert wrote:The thing I found odd about Slumdog (slight spoiler ahead)

Every question that he "lived" the answer to was asked in the exact timeline of his life. Kind of weak. But I'm glad the lead was that kid. He was on Skins Season 1 and 2 and it's nice to see at least one of those kids going somewhere in the acting world.
The whole movie was one ridiculous laid out "fate" thingy. But yeah, would have been nice if they shaked it up a bit.

I can't help but imagine if it was done in say, America instead of India, the movie would have been no where near as good.

What made it so much better using Indian Slums?

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Because we feel bad for these kids in an improvished country, where as in America they would simply be bums with shitty parents.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I was able to watch all the "main" nominated movies before it showed...only non-foreign/non-documentary movie I missed was The Duchess...so I can honestly say I wasn't surprised by the Oscars. I was let down that they gave the awards to the most obvious choices, but overall I was happy with most. Especially with Kate Winslet in The Reader, she was amazing in that...