Thor movie - I say thee yay!

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Stocky Boy

Thor movie - I say thee yay!

Post by Stocky Boy »

Pretty damn good!

Like a number of reviews I've read mention, this film greatly benefits from having a very basic, can't go wrong, straight forward plot. The plot is the ever reliable arrogant heir demonstrates early on that he has much to learn. During his journey he progresses from realising how little he truly knows and in the process of discovering this and acting selflessly he eventually finds himself deserving of greater responsibility.
This type of story, the journey between selfish glory hunter to a wiser, more mature and selfless acting prince can, if done incorectly, feel like a regular story formula brought out of the Hollywood draw and dusted off again. Thor pulls of the task any plot needs to do, which is make you enjoy the obvious unoriginal story without becoming self aware. Dusting that old formula off and doing it well enough to feel like a fresh story.
The introduction to Asgard, the widening of the whole Marvel universe is brilliantly done. Cinematically it, unsurprisingly, looks awesome!

I only have a couple of knit-pickings. The Warriors three and Lady Sif needed atleast one more scene earlier on to establish some character. These guys suffered as a result and felt like what they are in terms of story necessity, 'side characters'.
On a lesser note, if every Asgardian is doing a posh English accent, to set them apart as mytical and old, why does Hogun have an oriental asian accent? Heimdall (Idris Elba) gets a posh accent, if amped up a bit to sound booming. If the black guy gets to fit in as one of the others by viture of having a similar accent, why does the oriental guy not get to fit in for the same reasons? Is it because Hogun is the 'grim', 'serious' one of the warriors three and the scriptwriters have been watching too much Kimball Cho from the Mentalist? Stop thy typecasting Hollywood. I say thee nay!

Overall, awesome film. Actors were good. Story was tight. Fx, costumes and cinematography were all very, very good.

So, why haven't you all gone and seen this yet?

Don't miss the ending!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It hasn't opened in North America yet, that is why.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

What, really? In Holland it's been in theatres for a week.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yeah, it's one of those rare occasions where non-US gets a Hollywood movie first. I know a lot of the time some non-US locations get the movies a week after the US (I know this happened with Scream 4).

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Thor opens in U.S. theatres this friday. I will see it next week.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Oh right I see!

That is really odd when that happens. Why does it happen? These days, why isn't there just one international opening night?

I remember there's been a couple of films I've seen in the past that have had the same release date, but most of the time the UK is a week or two behind.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Stocky Boy wrote:Oh right I see!

That is really odd when that happens. Why does it happen? These days, why isn't there just one international opening night?

I remember there's been a couple of films I've seen in the past that have had the same release date, but most of the time the UK is a week or two behind.

To gain international hype for a movie that was not polling well in North America.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm trying to see it as soon possible. Opened last week in France.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I will most likely see it next week at some point, since this weekend is busy with traveling and mother's day. I'm excited to see it though.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

wolf_2099 wrote:To gain international hype for a movie that was not polling well in North America.
Ah yes. An article on Newsarama made an interesting point. Will this film suffer from not being recognisable? Even Iron Man, though not necessarily recongisable as a big comic property had some natural intrigue to it. Thor could accidently suffer from being another fantasy movie. Total shame if that happens, since Thor was awesome!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm seeing the midnight showing tonight. Not a fan of seeing 3D so I'm seeing 2D. Plus having glasses makes seeing 3D really awkward, lol.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Seeing it tomorrow night in Ultra AVX 3D.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Grr, not only will I have to see it in 3D but it will be at not accomadating time like 7.45pm.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Grr, not only will I have to see it in 3D but it will be at not accomadating time like 7.45pm.
Ha, I am seeing it at 7:45.

XIII

Post by XIII »

7:45pm is right when Simon has a big crying fit. Every day. Would feel real bad leaving Malorie alone to deal with it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

God I wish I had a big hammer.

Thor was fucking awesome.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Damn, I want to see it!!!

Was it 3D?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It was, and filmed in 3D rather than converted so it looked good.

XIII

Post by XIII »

OK, will try to go one evening this week.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Watching 3D is just too difficult with regular glasses. And half the time it seems you have to look at an angle to see it clearly it gets frustrating. I prefer 2D, but know that 3D is big with most people. The movie itself was definitely awesome! And when you see it, Arn, don't forget to stay til the end of the credits.