WWII

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Lucy Lawless! Nice.

How much, if you don't mind me asking?

I've almost jumped lines by accident. When Dan Slott was over here for LSCC, I waited in line one day, not too long, and got his sig. Turned up the next day with a friend and we almost stood in line for him thinking the queue for him was short, only to realise the staff had left a gap in the queue where we thought the queue ended, so that people could walk through the con. I wonder if anyone would have said anything or even noticed had we joined what we thought was the back of the queue.

Are there people whose signatures are relatively easy to get for their name value?

Is there another Special Edition this year Wally?

Did you do any other stuff whilst there?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Jedi, if you had Lucy Lawless hanging off your shoulder you'd crack a smile too. :)

To answer an earlier question, the actors I saw from comic book men were Bryan Johnson and Mike Zapzik (or however it's spelled) Johnson was walking the con floor with his niece so I didn't stop him. Also, he seems like a dick so I wasn't too hot and bothered to get his picture. I saw Zapzik walking very briskly to artist alley. He looks real on tv but not so much in real life.

I dropped $85 to snag 10 seconds with Lawless. It was my single largest expense. She was very sweet. She insisted on stooping down to my level so we'd be of equal height in the pic. Personally, I thought it would have been funnier if she stood at her full height next to me. And it wasn't like the Stan Lee or Adam West photo op where you were explicitly told not to speak or shake hands with the guests. Lawless took a few moments to speak to you, hug you, shake your hand and a crack a joke and a smile. I'm also certain her shit smells like roses.

I saw a fair amount of creators who I could've snagged sigs with if I wanted to but again, I decided against it bringing any comics to sign on Saturday and Sunday and I'm mostly glad I didn't. I saw Marc Andreykyo sitting by his lonesome but I didn't have anything for him to sign and I couldn't be bothered to find something so instead I just shook his hand and chatted with him for a few moments.

Todd McFarlane actually had his own booth area on the main show room floor next to the image booth. Mcfarlanes booth was for his toy line.

I got pics with Len Wein and Gerry Conway (both of whom we're charging $5 a piece for their sigs. I wasn't interested in their sigs but having listened to Len Wein not his podcast I wanted to chat with him and I wasn't disappointed. He is a nice, down to earth guy who explained his reasons for charging for sigs. Both Wein and Conway had tables in artist alley next to each other so pic taking was great.

I got some books signed by Garth Ennis who is always enjoyable to to speak with.

There were a fair amount of wrestlers there too: Hulk Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter, John Bradshaw Layfield, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase, Mick Foley and Brett the Hitman Hart.

All were charging for their sigs & pics except Foley. Hogan and JBL were charging the most; Hogan $80 and JBL $50 I think. Surprisingly a pic and sig with Hart was cheap. All you had to do to get them was buy his new action figure which cost $15 and you could get in line for pic and a sig, however the line always got capped. Sucks, it would've been cool to have gotten it. But that's still a good deal for a pic and sig with a guy who was and is a big deal in wrestling. But he looks like shit though. He looks far older than he actually is and he's going gray fast.

That's how big NYCC is now. There's so much going on that unless you just spend a whole day walking the con floor, you won't know what events are taking place. I spent all Saturday walking the con floor and didn't step foot inside artist alley. I checked out almost every single booth and saw that both DC and marvel were giving out really cool swag at different times in the day. Other booths were having promos that I got to take part in. I did a little shopping and brought a Robin action figure I had when I was very young. I chatted with the Con crew and learned a few interesting tidbits.

Oh and I missed out on Brian k. Vaughan signing again. The damn thing - like Kirkman - is ticketed and gets sold out every year.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

However, I do like what the Marvel booth began implementing (late isn't he dash) Rather than give out tickets for their events to the first people who show up to their booth in the morning, they started giving out tickets for their signings at 11 and 1pm so everyone had a fair shot. Not just the campers.

Lots of the regulars of artist alley were easy to get:
Amanda Connor, Jimmy Palmiotti, Mike mcKone, Klaus Jason, Dave Johnson, Billy Tucci, Humberto Ramos, Sean Chen, Phillip Tan, Alvin Lee, Dustin Nguyen, Derek Friedolfs, Joe Prado, Frank Cho (kind of). Some of the harder creators to nail down were Jerry Ordway (who I've been trying and failing to get for a few years) Ivan Reis, Ethan Van Sciver, Mark Bagley, Adam Hughes.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Also, there were several special spotlight guests who attended the con but didn't do any signings, just panels or special events. Bendis only came on Friday for one panel then left. Neil Gaimen came the weekend of comic con but didn't attend the con. Instead he did a reading & a Q&A about 3 blocks from where I work. Kevin Smith was there but only for panels and podcasts. George Clooney did a surprise drop by to promote his new film.

And apparently a riot nearly broke out at the Marvel booth. Marvel was giving away tickets for free signings with the entire cast of the DD netflix show. The fans were lined up everywhere and were getting rowdy. The marvel signing stand that had the tvs mounted on it began rocking. Security tried to organize the crowd to prevent injury but the fans weren't complying. After postponing the event, order was restored. You can about the whole thing on Dan Slott's Facebook page.

ReedPop has announced plans to do another Special Edition NY con in the summer and there is a new con happening his December called WinterCon taking place Queens. It's go into be organized by the guys who run a con out in Long Island called Eternal Con. This past June, after getting elbowed out if the Con scene by Reed, it looks like the Eternal Con organizers moved to December.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Did you hear about the mega signing session Marvel organized for their 75th anniversary? They had lots of creators there, all in a special room. Saw that on Bleeding Cool.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

This is the first I'm hearing about a major signing session and I dropped by the marvel booth throughout the week

XIII

Post by XIII »

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

That makes me sad. Im reading the comics news sites a week later and I'm still seeing stuff I didn't know was happening. Spending even half a day in artist alley and you miss out on so much great stuff.