Stockwell's Manor

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Got a CD of pictures for you!

Just need an address and I'll try and get them out by the weekend.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Is our Stocky attending the MCM Expo in London?

MGM

Post by MGM »

When will that be?

XIII

Post by XIII »

It was this weekend.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I did go as a matter of fact.

Got Gail Simone's (big girl) signiture on Tranquility vol 1.

Also got Paul Cornell's signiture on Demon Knight #1 and Kieron Gillen's and Jamie McKelvie's. Those guys are always a pleasure. Jamie was joking that Aaron's Wolverine and the X.Men came out the week before Kieron's Uncanny, because, "they [Marvel] wanted to get the better one out first". :D

I only went on the Saturday, because there's just not that much to do really. A couple of friends joined me at the convention in the afternoon, which was pleasant because in other times it's been just me surrounded by teen cosplayers.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Nice! Happy you enjoyed it. Con's by yourself can be a tad rough.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Oh bloody hell! So many things to review since last I had a review spurt.

Some things I'd definitely like to write my thoughts down about are:
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- Man of Steel
- World War Z (seeing on Wednesday)
- Age of Ultron #10 (and series entirely)
- and a little bit on every other book I'm picking up.

"So much to do. So little time".

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Ka boom!

I have books with Alan Moore signatures for various people! All personalised with your names in them and I think all of them say something like:
"To Andy. Big Love. A Moore".

1 for Me
1 for Cam
1 for Farhan and Ismael
1 for Michel
1 for Arnaud

A few things to mention though. I didn't get the biography signed. Instead it's the League of Gentlemen Century 2009 book. Forbidden Planet had League books, Fashion Beast the biography and some other books. I chose to get us all the LXG 2009 book simply because it was; cheaper for all of us, would fit better in my bag and I wasn't sure you would really all want to pay £20 for a biography, when instead you could spend £8 on a book. I went with the LXG 2009 book instead of the 1910 or 1969 one because the villain in book three of the League Century series is obviously quite big. I thought book three as a result was a better book to get signed than 1910. Also, although sadly it didn't pan out. Kevin O'Neil, the artist on League was there, but unfortunately he had left before I was able to buy the books.

Since I did not get signed the intended book, I will understand if you don't want it. It's up to you. I don't know what the final price will be, I'll have to check the postage cost and some of you might want a special postal service.
Let me know if you are happy with what I got you signed and I'll have a look into the postage costs.

Arn, I'm not sure you wanted one. I got you one anyway. Don't worry if you don't want it.

Sorry to Ed and Chris. You guys are on this board a lot. I would have liked to have gotten you guys the same book signed too. However, there was a two book limit and I was running out of friends whose book quota I could use up.

The event was quite entertaining.

The schedule was:
1. Lance (biographer) interviewing Alan Moore for a bit.
Then Alan's wife and Kevin O'Neill came up on stage for a bit.
Then the director and actors of the two short films that Alan Moore had written came up for a bit.
2. Act of Faith (15 min short film)
3. Q & A from audience
4. Jimmy's End (30 mins short film)
5 . Signing

There surprisingly weren't that many people getting stuff signed. WHAAAAT?! I didn't buy the books at the start of the event. I was panicking throughout wondering if I had enough time at the end to get the books and run back into the hall. Me and my friends were in row G and at the start it was mentioned that signings would be done row by row. Me and a friend rushed out to where Forbidden Planet were in the Foyer/bar and then run back into the screen room to delightfully find that our row was only just about to be asked to stand up and join the line. Hooray! Turns out that people telling Alan Moore their live stories gave me and my friend enough time to get our books! However, I did note that although the show was sold out, there weren't that many people from row H and every other row that needed to get stuff signed. I just couldn't believe it. Did this mean that the majority of people who came didn't come for Alan Moore the comic book writer, but came for Alan Moore the film writer? I don't know.

I recognised Rich Johnston from Bleeding Cool. Strangely I run into a school friend who I haven't seen since leaving school.

Pretty good evening. :)

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky...Image

Unless someone can find a way to top getting Alan Moore's signature (not just for himself) but for their friends as well, I'm pretty sure Stocky just won the Internet.

Speaking only for myself, I'm thrilled more than words can describe at having a personalized copy for myself and my son. Especially having read your account of how you had to run around last minute to find something.

As for what it was you got signed: biography or book I'm happy either way and obviously whatever the full cost will be for purchase of the book and shipping, and any other expenses you have incurred.

Still, I'm surprised that the Alan Moore signing didn't attact more people. I'm certain he'd get mobbed if he ever came to the U.S. for a signing. One of the people I'd been talking to while waiting for Ellis mentioned that when he went to the Gaiman signing, people had been lined up at least 6 hous in advance.

So overall, how was the experience? Is Moore charismatic? Quiet? Reserved, eccentric?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Great fucking job good sir, that is fantastic!
You are a god among comic book men.

Also, if Farhan is okay with it, you can ship his book to me, and I can package it up and send it on with the couple things I have for him. It would save on shipping costs and time at the post office.

I'll have more to post when I am not working.

Ellis and Moore in a week are both pretty top notch.
I think the only other person on that level would be Neil Gaiman.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Also.

Thank you very very much.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Awesome. Thanks so much.

Also, I have no clue if I've got the LXM 2009 book, but it'll do just fine. ;)

XIII

Post by XIII »

Excellent!!! I'll gladly take the book!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
What a fucking great little community we are!

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Excellent guys. I'll look into postage costs in a bit.

Moore was very charismatic. He was very comfortable talking. He had a few anecdotes and was really quite funny. He talked about two sticking points for comic lovers, the rejection of his work that he doesn't own and how he doesn't think it's good that people are so in love with the Avengers film. He managed to clarify his views in a way that didn't make his seem like the curmudgeon he can come across as in print.
To clarify, although he remembers being very proud of his work like Watchmen at the time of its creation, the bad feelings he has to do with a lack of creator rights and the publishers puts him in a mood where he much prefers forgetting about the work he doesn't own and concentrate instead on his current work that he owns and enjoys very much.
His issue with people liking the Avengers movie and superhero comics in general is that these characters were invented for young teenagers in the 50s and 60s. Though the content has changed a bit, if the audience is no longer young teenagers, but young adults and middle aged men, then why aren't these books written for that audience and why aren't there characters created specifically for that audience and their concerns?
From a publishing point of view the answer is, 'because it still sells'. :) I don't entirely agree with him here and presumably he only means to focus these points against DC and Marvel. I don't know.
He talked about his fascination with Northampton, where he's always lived and his very detailed comic scripts came up as well.
At the signing, he was perfectly friendly and warm. He offered his hand to shake rather than the other way round. He was chatty with people when they asked questions and genuinely seemed pleased to be signing things for people. He was also the one to initiate the question about who he should sign the book to.
I suppose we should bare in mind that there were a couple of factors that probably helped here; this was an event about his biography and two short films i.e. not a DC or Marvel event. Also, there were relatively few people in the queue.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Preview
Attachments
2013-11-27 00.48.37.jpg

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Interior preview:
Attachments
2013-11-27 00.48.47.jpg

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

So, current estimates for sending the books

Item costs:

1 x League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 2009 (LXG C2009), £7.99, (210g)

1 x Jiffy Bag, bought ages ago can't remember the price, £??, (78g)

I would like to make the packaging more secure with something like a thick A4 piece of card for the front and back sandwiching the tpb in the jiffy bag. I've currently also put the tbps in a plastic Comic Care polypropylene bag and rather pointlessly there's a backing board in there too. :)

This is what I'm using to estimate the postage price:
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/price-finde ... omeprices4

Cam, if Wally is okay with sending his book to you, then so far the estimates I've got for an approximately 550g package is:

Royal Mail
1. Airsure Small Packets, aim 4 days, £15.30
2. Int Signed Small Packets, aim 5 days, £15.20
3. Int Signed Surface Mail Small Packets, aim 56 days, £11.75
4. Airmail Small Packets, aim 5 days, £9.90
5. Surface Mail, aim 56 days, £6.45

Parcelforce
1. globalexpress, 1 day, £54.69
2. globalpriority, 3 days, £50.65
3. globalvalue, 7 days, £29.85
4. gloableconomy, 36 days, £27.40

Arno and Mitch your price options are the same for an approx 300g package,

Royal Mail
1. Airsure, aim 4 days, £11.94
2. Int Signed Small Packets aim 5 days, £10.25
3. Airmail Letters, aim 5 days, £4.95

Parcelforce
1. globalexpress, 1 day, £35.35
2. globalpriority, 4 days, £29.55
3. globalvalue, 7 days, £16.95

I was reading about the differences of each one and it's a little confusing. I believe the 'International Signed' option does in fact mean someone at your house has to sign for it. Whether it has to be you or not, I don't know. I guess I'll find out when I package the items and take them down to the post office and based on whether you want it quickly and/or signed, find out the real price.

So, I think it's best if you look at the prices to get an idea and then tell me whether you want:

(a). Delivery in under a week?
(b). Whether you want to sign for it?

MGM

Post by MGM »

I honestly don't care if it's here in a week or not. And I also don't have a compulsive need to sign for it. So it'll likely be the cheapest option for me. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'll take option 3 as well. Let me know how I can paypal you some money.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm fine with sending Wulf my book in whatever option and price range he comfortable with.

Let me know what the total cost is and I too will paypal you some money