Flaming First Thread

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

It was -6C last week in London and that was cold enough.

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Sissy. ;P
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

The French Biscuit

I just got a drunk message from one of my co-workers on Facebook. Thankefully it's not on my wall, so he's not that drunk.

:e2drunk:

Is this a sign I should really, really step up the looking for work thing? Oh yes.
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

The French Biscuit

Tell me about it bro.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

In Other News...

Moved to a basement apartment in Moosomin Saskatchewan and started my new job at the World Spectator three weeks ago. So far, both have been working out well for me.

Apartment is quite spacious for just little ol me (see Facebook album) and it's very quiet. Had an issue with it being very cold down here, but have solved it by leaving the dehumidifier on all day while I'm at work.

The town is small (about 2500 residents) and that has revealed some issues. Shops close earlier than I'm used to, and nothing is open on Sunday except the churches. Still, Moosomin is right on the Trans-Canada highway so I can easily drive to the bigger cities like Brandon and Regina. Brandon's closer, and all of its delightful big box stores (sorry little mom and pop shops) are just off the highway.

Job has so far been o.k. It's early days still, but it's over 9000 times better than the Quick Print. There's more genuine comraderie, less drama and the job is nothing that is beyond my skills.

Socializing with my fellow employees has been really fun. Went for a walk around town with one of my fellow graphic designers on my first night, we had a "Girls Night" at one of the reporter's apartment later in that same week week, then the following week we went over to Brandon to take in a live show (a singer that the other reporter had previously interviewed).

For a shut-in like myself, this is a whole lot more socializing than I think I've ever done in that amount of time.

Overall, I am far less stressed and depressed. I still don't think this is by any means the place I'll be forever, but I hope it'll keep its luster for at least a of couple years.

Side note: I have introduced them to the word "Huzzah!" which was previously not in their vocabulary. I believe it is slowly catching on. :D
Biscuit AWAY!

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yeah for corrupting small towns, one person at a time! Glad the new place is working out so well for you, sometimes I think a complete change like that would work well for me, too. I would hate to have to be in a small town like that where everything closes early, especially since I'm used to being up all night and having the freedom of going to the grocery store at 3am if I want to.

The French Biscuit

jedispyder wrote:Yeah for corrupting small towns, one person at a time! Glad the new place is working out so well for you, sometimes I think a complete change like that would work well for me, too. I would hate to have to be in a small town like that where everything closes early, especially since I'm used to being up all night and having the freedom of going to the grocery store at 3am if I want to.
Thanks very much. I take the word "Huzzah!" everywhere with me. :)

Small town living is not for everyone, that is for sure. This biscuit is a day-timer, so stuff being closed early isn't all that bad. I am slowly learning to cope and find ways around the inconveniences. I will overcome! :coolgleam:
Biscuit AWAY!

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

I can't believe you found a place smaller than Tilbury. Wow, I feel like the Big Time now. ^_^ You must at least have a Tim Horton's in the not-so-distant distance. It'd be open all night if you need out.

I'm downright curious to see how you feel about the place when autumn and winter creep up on us. Not that I want you to be more stressed or depressed, gawd no, but winter in a small town can be so... irritating.
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

The French Biscuit

ChimeraCreative wrote:I can't believe you found a place smaller than Tilbury. Wow, I feel like the Big Time now. ^_^ You must at least have a Tim Horton's in the not-so-distant distance. It'd be open all night if you need out.
Yeah, Tilbury has about twice as many people as Moosomin. Alas, there's no Timys in town and I'm not sure where the closest one is. :e2bummed:
ChimeraCreative wrote: I'm downright curious to see how you feel about the place when autumn and winter creep up on us. Not that I want you to be more stressed or depressed, gawd no, but winter in a small town can be so... irritating.
As am I. By then I'll probably be out of this apartment and into someplace else. Options are either buy a house (though they are ridiculously high right now) or just keep renting somewhere. I still haven't found out what the rent is on this place (I don't know cause my boss is footing the bill until end of October).

Care to elaborate on the irritating? Just so I'm prepared.:coolgleam:

P.S. This house looks cute for a dome
Biscuit AWAY!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The French Biscuit wrote: so I can easily drive to the bigger cities like Brandon and Regina.

Bwahahahah... ahahahaha.... hahaha.... ahahahahah... ha... ha... ha.

Oh sorry, did I interrupt?

Bwahah.

Ha.

I'm happy you're enjoying it Biscie.
I hear awesome, awesome things about buying comics in Sask.

On a curious note. Is the cost of living very high out there? Rent and stuff?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

Winter Irritation in Small Towns

Firstly, there's cabin fever. Having no where to go and nothing to do will drive a person mad. When getting your mail is a big social event (and a slog through snow) you're in trouble. Then comes eating too much out of boredom. And if you make an effort to go out and do something the place/store might be closed early because of snow/suspected snow, that's a big pain in the ass.

Snow removal varies from good to shit in small towns depending on how on the ball the farmers/community/town are on any particular day.

If we get an ice storm and the hydro gets knocked out we don't get ours restored as fast as bigger communities. Maybe that's just my county though, always hating the Tilbillies. ^_^

And never get snowed in with relatives you can't stand. It's like The Shining on super fast forward.
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

The French Biscuit

ChimeraCreative wrote:Winter Irritation in Small Towns
Snow removal varies from good to shit in small towns depending on how on the ball the farmers/community/town are on any particular day.
Yipes. That's what made me give up on a cabin I was thinking of getting. It's out in the boonies and I was worried about my little car making it in the snow.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

Basement Living for the Young Professional Pastry

Well, we went from stinkin' hot to freakin' wet within a few days here in the South. We got a lot of rain today and from the looks of the forecast, it'll continue into tomorrow. Fortunately, I haven't had any water infiltrate into the basement so that's a relief.

Work is going really well. There is only one sna-foo and that is J (name has been changed just cause I'm that paranoid). J has been there for two years and in that time has established his own system to doing things. Any straying from this system results in a hissy-fit of toddler like proportions. However, if we leave J to his own megalomaniacle devices he's happy as a clam. It's a great system. Naturally, while using the system we still keep our fingers firmly crossed that he will find some irresistible job in his native Ontario and we can bid him a fond farewell. My real bosses seem quite happy with me and work is picking up now that they're back.

I made a friend at my second-last photo shoot. I went to photograph kindergartners and this one little boy (Brock) really liked the camera. So, being a nice photographer, I let him take pictures. It actually worked out really well for me. The kids were more relaxed, I was more relaxed (though I kept a death-grip on the strap of the very expensive camera) and the pictures I took once I got the camera back were very warmly received by my bosses. :-)

House hunting has been ongoing. Another one just came on the market on Windover Ave. You can check it out on this website. It looks like a bit of a hovel, but if it's structurally sound all of that can be fixed. Whoever thought that wallpaper in the kitchen looked good should be drug out into the street and beaten with a roll of the stuff.

The basement apartment is still quite nice. My landlady is rarely home at the same time I am, so keeping my computer turned down hasn't been an issue. I'm going to have to leave her a sticky note asking about rent, because our schedules never seem to coincide. If I can't find any place else when my three months are up, it would just be more convenient if I could stay in the basement. With the dehumidifier running all day, what used to be a really cold hole in the ground is now a delightful living space. Albeit, with ugly carpet in the living room/office. My computer is still living happily on the coffee table, and I've secured a side table for my printer and future scanner. My old scanner bit the dust after seven years of faithful service. :e2bummed:

Living by myself is the best. Things like not having to share a bathroom or your computer are great benefits. It's so quiet and peaceful. :) Only drawback has been having to always cook for myself. Fortunately, I'm not a pickey eater. ;)

Only other drawback was the bugs, but after a thorough clean a couple weeks ago I have successfully de-bugged the place. The weather has been getting cooler too, so there should be fewer and fewer stragglers as time goes on.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

wolf_2099 wrote: I hear awesome, awesome things about buying comics in Sask.
It is really good, if you can find a comic book shop. There isn't one in this town, and there wasn't one in my hometown. Saskatoon was the best place for comic shopping for me anyway, never tried Regina.
wolf_2099 wrote: On a curious note. Is the cost of living very high out there? Rent and stuff?
Pretty good, you can still find decent places in the bigger cities for around $500 (sometimes that includes utilities). Utilities were always pretty reasonable when I was paying them. Living with the folks for a while has leasened my knowledge on this subject.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

OVER 9000!

Well, not really.

I have over 500 pictures to go through and edit for my distant relations. I took pictures at the ... I'm not sure what's the best thing to call it. It was an "two-weeks-after-the-wedding-party" held for those who could not make the wedding proper.

It may be under a thousand, but it feels like over 9000.

And getting distracted by NYCC pics on Facebook isn't helping. :(
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

These are the days...

I wish I could light people on fire with my mind. :-P
Biscuit AWAY!

MGM

Post by MGM »

:chewie:?

The French Biscuit

Our office jerk was bugging me a lot that day, tomorrow will probably be equally "I wish I could start you on fire-erific".

Good news is, my house has both power and now water! It took awhile to get the water turned on seeing as the switch to the town supply was under a pile of snow. Official move in date is next week. :)
Biscuit AWAY!

XIII

Post by XIII »

Super awesome!!!

MGM

Post by MGM »

Indeed it is!